Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Joe Blanton killed the Angels forum

This forum back in the Vlad Figgins K Rod days was full of great discussion and a good balance of stats and eye test. Ever since the forum was split by Blanton supporters and haters it's been an absolute ghost town!!

It's time someone talks about the Angels again. Trout looks great and we're getting some home run power from guys like GAybar and Freese but not getting on base at all and we can't expect power from anybody outside of Trout or Pujols to sustained. I feel with Hamilton maybe being cut loose because of his relapse maybe we pursue some hitters? The West is wide open and I like our pitching going forward but our offense scares me

The should change their name back to the California Angels.

Quote Originally Posted by GardenGrove View Post
    This forum back in the Vlad Figgins K Rod days was full of great discussion and a good balance of stats and eye test. Ever since the forum was split by Blanton supporters and haters it's been an absolute ghost town!!

It's time someone talks about the Angels again. Trout looks great and we're getting some home run power from guys like GAybar and Freese but not getting on base at all and we can't expect power from anybody outside of Trout or Pujols to sustained. I feel with Hamilton maybe being cut loose because of his relapse maybe we pursue some hitters? The West is wide open and I like our pitching going forward but our offense scares me
    Blanton killed the Angels too. At least when we had Blanton, there was discussion in here. Even then though, the forum wasn't as lively as other teams forums.

My take on the team so far this year:

The pitching staff concerns me. Shoemaker was a question mark for me going into the season because of his career minor league numbers. He has posted average minor league stats through out his career sitting around a 4.50-4.60 ERA. I didn't see how that could translate to major league success. He pitched out of his mind last year and it was pretty unexplainable to me. So far this year, he is pitching more like how I expected him to when he first came up to the bigs. I still think he has figured out some things and will be a capable back end of the rotation starter, but I don't think he is the number 2 or 3 starter many Angel fans expected him to be. Weaver looks like he is declining again this year. It's been a pretty consistent decline for Weaver the past 2-3 years and this year his fastball velocity is sitting at about 83, which is the major league off speed average. That's pretty sad and it's definitely a concern. Richards will be fine and I think he will put up great numbers yet again this year. Santiago has started well and I think he is capable of posting an ERA in the mid 3's if he can show some better control. I think Wilson will have some what of a bounce back year. He will always be a frustrating pitcher to watch, but last year was his first bad year as a starter. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and expect him to give us an ERA in the low to mid 3's, which he has consistently done as a starter.

Our offense looks abysmal right now. We have 4 people batting in the .100's. It's still very early, but Freese and Joyce are just not # 4 hitters. This is where the Kendrick trade is hurting us and the absence of Hamilton is also hurting us. I'm happy with the trade we made for Heaney because it made a lot of sense to get a high touted prospect that we have under team control for a guy we weren't going to resign. However, we knew that trade was going to hurt the current team and it's showing. Giovatella has filled in admirably so far, but Kendrick is on another level. He's raking right now. Hamilton has been terrible for the money we have paid him so far, but he is a far better option in left field than Joyce, Cowgill, or Navarro. I would really like to get him back and hope that he could provide this team with the offensive boost that we need. We already have to pay him his contract for this year, so we might as well let him play and have him earn some of it. If we don't we are literally throwing about 23 million dollars down the drain. I'm fine with the Angels trying to get out of the last two years of the deal, but we could really use Hamilton in the line up now. Overall, it's just a typical start for the Angels. When is the last time we had a good April? Definitely not in the past 5-6 years.
    Last edited by Hangin n Wangin; 04-21-2015 at 06:20 PM.

I knew going into this season that upper management put all their eggs in a basket thinking "well' we had the best record in baseball last, we're fine" and that they weren't gonna do anything to better the team(even though we had payroll wiggle room). We going into last season needed another strong starting pitching. Shoemaker and Richards were balls out phenomenal last year. Regardless of both those guys, we still need another arm. Thank god Santiago has looked good so far. There's also a need for a proven bat. We haven't had a catcher who can hit since Chorizo Molina.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangin n Wangin View Post
    Blanton killed the Angels too. At least when we had Blanton, there was discussion in here. Even then though, the forum wasn't as lively as other teams forums.

My take on the team so far this year:

The pitching staff concerns me. Shoemaker was a question mark for me going into the season because of his career minor league numbers. He has posted average minor league stats through out his career sitting around a 4.50-4.60 ERA. I didn't see how that could translate to major league success. He pitched out of his mind last year and it was pretty unexplainable to me. So far this year, he is pitching more like how I expected him to when he first came up to the bigs. I still think he has figured out some things and will be a capable back end of the rotation starter, but I don't think he is the number 2 or 3 starter many Angel fans expected him to be. Weaver looks like he is declining again this year. It's been a pretty consistent decline for Weaver the past 2-3 years and this year his fastball velocity is sitting at about 83, which is the major league off speed average. That's pretty sad and it's definitely a concern. Richards will be fine and I think he will put up great numbers yet again this year. Santiago has started well and I think he is capable of posting an ERA in the mid 3's if he can show some better control. I think Wilson will have some what of a bounce back year. He will always be a frustrating pitcher to watch, but last year was his first bad year as a starter. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and expect him to give us an ERA in the low to mid 3's, which he has consistently done as a starter.

Our offense looks abysmal right now. We have 4 people batting in the .100's. It's still very early, but Freese and Joyce are just not # 4 hitters. This is where the Kendrick trade is hurting us and the absence of Hamilton is also hurting us. I'm happy with the trade we made for Heaney because it made a lot of sense to get a high touted prospect that we have under team control for a guy we weren't going to resign. However, we knew that trade was going to hurt the current team and it's showing. Giovatella has filled in admirably so far, but Kendrick is on another level. He's raking right now. Hamilton has been terrible for the money we have paid him so far, but he is a far better option in left field than Joyce, Cowgill, or Navarro. I would really like to get him back and hope that he could provide this team with the offensive boost that we need. We already have to pay him his contract for this year, so we might as well let him play and have him earn some of it. If we don't we are literally throwing about 23 million dollars down the drain. I'm fine with the Angels trying to get out of the last two years of the deal, but we could really use Hamilton in the line up now. Overall, it's just a typical start for the Angels. When is the last time we had a good April? Definitely not in the past 5-6 years.

Btw I miss the bickering banter between GA & Natedog……

Quote Originally Posted by Angels02 View Post
    The two greatest Blanton supporters on the planet. I don't think it is a coincidence that they never showed up again after the year Blanton had. Just go to the previous Blanton threads and look how hard they fought just to try to prove he is average. It was hilarious! Blanton isn't even in the majors anymore .... I think they lost that argument.
    Last edited by Hangin n Wangin; 04-22-2015 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Angels02 View Post
    I wonder what happened to Vladdy and BigDog.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    I wonder what happened to Vladdy and BigDog.
    i dont know but I sat 10 feet from the real vladdy at last nights game, he was putting down coronas like nobodys business lol

Quote Originally Posted by angelsfan1984 View Post
    i dont know but I sat 10 feet from the real vladdy at last nights game, he was putting down coronas like nobodys business lol
    LOL that's hilarious. How many Coronas did he pound?
    Last edited by Hangin n Wangin; 04-24-2015 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Wanted to find out how many Coronas Vladdy pounded

id say I saw at least 7. He was in a suite so you know it had to be much more when he wasn't at his seat.

Beast.

Is Vladdy living in LA?

doubt it

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
    The should change their name back to the California Angels.
    I miss the 1993-1996 uniforms. Those were the best, in my opinion.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward