Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Astros April Game Thread

So I know there's hardly any activity in this forum (for good reason the past few years). But with Houston expected to play better and a channel to watch them on, I'm hoping we can maybe get a little activity in here this season. Post any observations or comments during or between games in this thread for the month of April, and hopefully we can continue to do this throughout the year.

I haven't watched the Astros much in the last four or five seasons, but I watched all nine innings last night and it felt good to care about baseball again. For starters, Keuchel was phenomenal. I felt like he was getting a little iffy with his location later in the game, but he didn't give Cleveland anything they could really hit, and he did a hell of a job getting out of that jam in the seventh.

And how clutch was Altuve? I was genuinely concerned the Astros were going to be no hit, but he drops in that blooper and steals second like it was nothing before the golden boy Springer drove him in. I was also really impressed with the play of Rasmus, who reached base twice and had a couple of nice defensive plays. And the bullpen not giving up a single base runner in two innings was certainly something new.

It's obviously way, way too early to get excited about a single win, and I'm absolutely tempering my expectations for this season. But I finally feel like this is an Astros team worth watching again, and I'd love to see them keep it up and break .500 this year.

Yeah, this place is a ghost town now a days. I'm happy to see our team having some success for a change.

Im a Phillies fan (sadly)....with the Phillies possibly paying a part of Cole Hamels salary does he become a realistic possibility for the Astros? I know you guys have a deep minor league system and have a young major league team that could start making their mark this year. What do you think?

I would absolutely love it. I read that the only prospects off the table for this sort of trade are Correa, Mccullers and Velasquez

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal17 View Post
    Im a Phillies fan (sadly)....with the Phillies possibly paying a part of Cole Hamels salary does he become a realistic possibility for the Astros? I know you guys have a deep minor league system and have a young major league team that could start making their mark this year. What do you think?
    I would like Hamels, especially if Philly takes on part of his salary, but I heard they are demanding Correa in a trade for him and that will never happen. We have a ton of prospects and I would be willing to part with most, but not Correa. I also am reluctant to trade Velasquez or McCullers, Jr., but anyone else, for me, would be on the table.

The only players I'd trade Correa for right now are Trout and Harper

It would probably take:
    OF Domingo Santana
    OF Andrew Aplin
    2B Tony Kemp
    3B Colin Moran
    SP Mark Appel

I wouldn't want to trade any prospects. Thats just me.

The Phillies gave up Chris Singleton in either the Oswalt or Pence trade. I know he broke in with the Astros last season.....is he hurt or just struggle? If I remember he was hitting HRs with low average and lots of strike outs. Does he project to be a good player still or written off?

The thing is Carter is providing more power and is hitting in the low 200's. Moving Singleton up would mean we would do away with either Gattis or Carter; which I don't see happening.

Quote Originally Posted by astros1981 View Post
    It would probably take:
    OF Domingo Santana
    OF Andrew Aplin
    2B Tony Kemp
    3B Colin Moran
    SP Mark Appel

I wouldn't want to trade any prospects. Thats just me.
    If that's what it takes to get a front line starter for 3-4 years then I'll take it. Our farm is so ridiculously loaded with talent that's all getting backed up by more talent playing in the majors. On top of that, who scares you in the AL? Chris Sale, Sonny Gray, David Price and King Felix don't seem to be making it. Chris Archer has been dominant, but they're thin after that. Keuchel and Hamels would be the best 1-2 in the AL playoffs and we could easily ride that to the World Series. Sitting on our hands and hoping a better opportunity comes along would be a terrible idea. Especially since after unloading all that talent, you would still have Bregman, Tucker, Cameron, Reed, Phillips, Hader and Feliz and young talent at every position in the majors except first and third

I wouldn't mind Hamels but if he isn't too sold with us it would be detrimental to the locker room to have him when he really isn't sold on us.

I would love to have Cueto as a rental so we don't give up too much to have his services.

Yea no kidding bosstone. Hopefully astros fans come in droves to psd

It's a bummer how much I failed at trying this out this year. Between the Rockets going so deep in the season and me getting so busy at work, I just haven't had as much time as I wanted to try and encourage activity in this thread. Hopefully next year we can get this thing going with a few threads and start to build up some activity.

Anyway, on the bright side, how about those 'Stros, huh?!?!? That series win over the Yankees was huge, the pitching has been remarkable the last nine games and the bats are finally starting to come around. Once Springer comes back, Houston has to be taken seriously as a World Series contender. When you consider that they have Keuchel, McHugh and Kazmir, that's one of the best 1-2-3 pitching rotations in baseball. If those guys can stay dominant into the postseason, all the Astros hitters need to do is put up 3-4 runs a night, and they'll beat most teams in a postseason series.

It's also worth noting that with the Rangers and Angels losing last night, Houston now has a 5.5-game lead on first. That's significant. They would have to really start sucking to lose their grip on first place in the division. But as long as they can keep getting a few wins on the road, I don't see that happening.