Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 427 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
    Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2 (8.5/10)

Loved it. Probably my second favorite of Tarentino's work behind Basterds

selma 7.5/10

i watched this with my mom, who marched with dr. king as an 11 year old. we both thought it was slow and too anti-climactic for such a significant moment in the civil rights movement. we also agreed that ana duvernay did not deserve a best director's nod for her work and that david oyelowo was not that convincing as MLK. when i watched other biopics (such as malcolm x, the doors, capote...), i forgot i was watching a film and thought i was watching a well-produced documentary. denzel, val kilmer and PSH were transformative as malcolm, jim morrison and truman capote, respectively. oyelowo did not do that for me and my mom... he didn't capture the power and emotion of MLK's voice or speaking style (at least not until the final speech at the montgomerey courthouse).

that said, there were a handful of really strong scenes that had my mother in tears remembering her time as a civil rights activist in the 60s.
    JETSMETSKNICKSPENS
    GATOR BAIT!
    UCONN!!!

chappie 8/10

really liked it. got bad reviews but was actually better then i expected. big ideas, solid action, pretty wild movie. will definitely leave and impression for most

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe View Post
    selma 7.5/10

i watched this with my mom, who marched with dr. king as an 11 year old. we both thought it was slow and too anti-climactic for such a significant moment in the civil rights movement. we also agreed that ana duvernay did not deserve a best director's nod for her work and that david oyelowo was not that convincing as MLK. when i watched other biopics (such as malcolm x, the doors, capote...), i forgot i was watching a film and thought i was watching a well-produced documentary. denzel, val kilmer and PSH were transformative as malcolm, jim morrison and truman capote, respectively. oyelowo did not do that for me and my mom... he didn't capture the power and emotion of MLK's voice or speaking style (at least not until the final speech at the montgomerey courthouse).

that said, there were a handful of really strong scenes that had my mother in tears remembering her time as a civil rights activist in the 60s.
    Man, I totally disagree about Oyelowo. I thought he was extremely convincing.

Quote Originally Posted by jej View Post
    Man, I totally disagree about Oyelowo. I thought he was extremely convincing.
    his tonality and dialect were nothing like MLK's... oyelowo did a very good job (certainly the best in the film), but i don't think he was "best actor" good. his performance was not better than ralph fiennes or jake gyllenhaal, both of whom also got snubbed. i will say his performance was definitely better than brad cooper's performance.

like i said before, at no point during the film did i forget i was watching a movie or an actor portray a legendary figure. denzel washington is one of the most iconic actors of the past 20 years and i completely thought i was watching a documentary when i saw him in malcolm x.
    JETSMETSKNICKSPENS
    GATOR BAIT!
    UCONN!!!

I think Denzel is a little overrated too personally. Very one note. It's a good one note, but it's one note.

Lance Armstrong: Stop at Nothing 6.5/10 Still crazy to think how a guy who was a real life super hero was a fraud, well not really.

Quote Originally Posted by jej View Post
    I think Denzel is a little overrated too personally. Very one note. It's a good one note, but it's one note.
    yeah, there are definitely some films (mostly his more recent ones) where he's not what he was... but he absolutely dominated malcolm x, and was pretty outstanding in he got game, fallen, training day, glory, mo betta blues, john q and a bunch of other films from the 90s and into the very early 2000s. i think he kinda fell into a one-note ditch sometime around the manchurian candidate (although he was pretty awesome in american gangster).
    JETSMETSKNICKSPENS
    GATOR BAIT!
    UCONN!!!

I haven't seen many of his movies, I'll admit. I love Remember the Titans though, for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by bomber0104 View Post
    Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2 (8.5/10)

Loved it. Probably my second favorite of Tarentino's work behind Basterds
    I have django as his #1

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    chappie 8/10

really liked it. got bad reviews but was actually better then i expected. big ideas, solid action, pretty wild movie. will definitely leave and impression for most
    I really want to see this. I also really like Neill blomkamp his movies that being district 9 & Eylsium

It was a girls movie choice yesterday, so I took them to see the new Cinderella. It was alright, faithful to the story/cartoon film. It was well done. The girl playing the title character and Cate Blanchett were great. Good to see Robb Stark alive and well. 6.5/10

He growls as he storms the country,
    A villain big and bold.
    And the trees all shake and quiver and quake,
    As he robs them of their gold.

Interstellar wow that was an amazing movie 9/10

Quote Originally Posted by poppa12645 View Post
    Interstellar wow that was an amazing movie 9/10
    no oscar nom was criminal.. the effects were insane

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper 88 View Post
    I have django as his #1
    yea Django was really good too.. it would probably be my 2nd favourite if you treat Kill Bill 1 and 2 as 2 separate movies

Basterds is undoubtedly #1 for me though, top 5 of all time in my books

I wasn't as big on Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction as other people seem to be

Page 5 of 427 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast