Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    207

    Profar Likely Done for 2015

    Looks like the #1 prospect status for this kid and his potential are all but wasted, at least for another year.

    IMO his development was rushed because he was forced into an environment not conducive to his body's maturity level. This "development" if you can call it that bears that thinking out too. This type of buffoonery along with forcing what amounts to a closer and a relief pitcher into the Starting Rotation when neither appear to be built or ready for it seems to have become common place for this club.


    I never thought Profar was the answer to replace Elvis , ever. At least in his immediate physicality. 162 games is a huge demand on the physical health of a player. The Rangers seemed to discover that the hard way with a few others in addition to Profar.

    Too bad, because trading him during the hype would have yielded some players which could have contributed to the club clearly in a rebuilding stage. Albeit that rebuilding was avoidable for a couple years, and most definitely premature.
    Last edited by waveone; 02-22-2015 at 05:09 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Metroplex
    Posts
    2,250
    Agree agree agree!!!

    Instead of getting a key piece or 2 for Profar at peak hypeness we hold onto his promise, trade Kinsler (who would have been one of our best offensive players still), sign 2 not aging so well players to 270 million dollars in contract obligations, destroy a promising young closer and systematically shorten what should have been a 5 to 7 year window of WS contention. Up next - the rushing of Joey Gallo. Other than that this front office has been brilliant.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,152
    Quote Originally Posted by zookman65 View Post
    Agree agree agree!!!

    Instead of getting a key piece or 2 for Profar at peak hypeness we hold onto his promise, trade Kinsler (who would have been one of our best offensive players still), sign 2 not aging so well players to 270 million dollars in contract obligations, destroy a promising young closer and systematically shorten what should have been a 5 to 7 year window of WS contention. Up next - the rushing of Joey Gallo. Other than that this front office has been brilliant.
    Can you get me the winning lottery numbers out of that crystal ball you have?
    Dallas Mavericks 2010-11 NBA CHAMPIONS
    Dirk Nowitzki 2010-2011 Finals MVP

    Texas Rangers 2010, 2011 AL West & AL Champions

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Metroplex
    Posts
    2,250
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDFan85 View Post
    Can you get me the winning lottery numbers out of that crystal ball you have?
    LOL - I took that as tongue in cheek of course as my comment was a post mortem/hindsight look at what went wrong. Of course I Didn't know nor was I employed by the organization to navigate the waters of club management. You can actually look back across baseball and decide for yourself which organizations performed well over the past 3 years in terms of team building and which made (yes in retrospect) poor decisions and comment on their missteps. At the time I was onboard with a lot of Rangers moves but again it wasn't my job to be smart, it was JD and company.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,152
    Quote Originally Posted by zookman65 View Post
    LOL - I took that as tongue in cheek of course as my comment was a post mortem/hindsight look at what went wrong. Of course I Didn't know nor was I employed by the organization to navigate the waters of club management. You can actually look back across baseball and decide for yourself which organizations performed well over the past 3 years in terms of team building and which made (yes in retrospect) poor decisions and comment on their missteps. At the time I was onboard with a lot of Rangers moves but again it wasn't my job to be smart, it was JD and company.
    Haha well I'm glad you did. As you already know, a lot of us Rangers fans are frustrated just the same as you. On trading Profar, Ian was only getting older and, at the time, no one saw Profar injuring his shoulder. He still does have a chance but that shine on his star has certainly been tarnished some. I think Ian needed a change of scenery more than anything. If you remember, he had a certain propensity to hit pop flys, let his mind wander on routine plays, and while on the base paths. Also, Profar had shown the front office that he was ready to for the big time. That being said, if Prince can't produce a solid season or two for us, then this trade will be a total flop.

    For Feliz, this was after his collapse in the World Series. I would be willing to bet they were scared that this would cripple him mentally every time he took the mound to close a game. In my mind, you don't let a guy with Feliz's talent level just pitch an inning or two every few games. In the game today you don't really see the same closers every year. You usually have a few that are dominate for more than a few years, but other than that, you really see a new guy emerge and a vet fall every year. Starters are much more difficult to find than closers are. I'd rather them have tried him as a starter than just using him as a closer. However, it didn't seem like his heart was in starting as much. He didn't go to the FO like CJ did and say that he wanted to start. I do think the FO should have taken that into account. So I don't think the experiment should have gone on for as long as it did.

    I'm not saying that Daniels and the FO are untouchable. They have had their shining moments and have had their fair share of head scratchers too. Just like every other organization.
    Dallas Mavericks 2010-11 NBA CHAMPIONS
    Dirk Nowitzki 2010-2011 Finals MVP

    Texas Rangers 2010, 2011 AL West & AL Champions

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,153
    Losing two years of development out of a prospect is a poison pill for their career. Its especially harmful for the value of Profar, who has no elite skills but an incredibly advanced mature approach. At twenty, thats impressive. At twenty-two, that becomes much less rare. Mike Trout was well on his way to winning the AL MVP at 22, while we won't see a full season out of Profar until he's 23 at the very least. He still can be a good player, but I think the top 2nd baseman in the majors ceiling is quickly becoming out of reach.

    On the plus side, Odor is exactly what Profar should have been. He's young, incredibly dedicated and shows a maturity and polish that belies his years. It would be nice to have Profar as a trade chip to go get Hamels, but thats the way it goes sometimes.

    As far as Feliz being tried as a starter, and lets throw Scheppers and Ogando in that bunch, he's worth significantly more to the club throwing seven innings than one. If a guy has the pitches to start, you have to give him that opportunity in the off chance he develops. I don't fault the organization for the effort, but it did cause all three significant injuries that will most likely affect the rest of their careers. But if any one of those guys add a couple of secondary pitches to their wipeout fastballs and then stayed healthy, we'd be talking about JD like he's a genius. Its a calculated risk that didn't pay off.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,152
    Quote Originally Posted by harlequin018 View Post
    Losing two years of development out of a prospect is a poison pill for their career. Its especially harmful for the value of Profar, who has no elite skills but an incredibly advanced mature approach. At twenty, thats impressive. At twenty-two, that becomes much less rare. Mike Trout was well on his way to winning the AL MVP at 22, while we won't see a full season out of Profar until he's 23 at the very least. He still can be a good player, but I think the top 2nd baseman in the majors ceiling is quickly becoming out of reach.

    On the plus side, Odor is exactly what Profar should have been. He's young, incredibly dedicated and shows a maturity and polish that belies his years. It would be nice to have Profar as a trade chip to go get Hamels, but thats the way it goes sometimes.

    As far as Feliz being tried as a starter, and lets throw Scheppers and Ogando in that bunch, he's worth significantly more to the club throwing seven innings than one. If a guy has the pitches to start, you have to give him that opportunity in the off chance he develops. I don't fault the organization for the effort, but it did cause all three significant injuries that will most likely affect the rest of their careers. But if any one of those guys add a couple of secondary pitches to their wipeout fastballs and then stayed healthy, we'd be talking about JD like he's a genius. Its a calculated risk that didn't pay off.
    The only issue I had with them putting Scheppers in that group was that he's had arm, shoulder specifically, issues in the past. However, he was still thought of pretty highly by the pundits when we took him in the supplemental round back in 2009.
    Dallas Mavericks 2010-11 NBA CHAMPIONS
    Dirk Nowitzki 2010-2011 Finals MVP

    Texas Rangers 2010, 2011 AL West & AL Champions

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •