Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 52 of 53 FirstFirst ... 24250515253 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Pistons trade away Reggie B for pennies

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...reggie-bullock

I actually recognize this dude from Kansas we're getting back but who knows if we actually plan to retain him.

Kinda bummed tbh
    There was a part of me that was hoping we could get a late 1st. Sold cheap but he is walking anyways so at least we got a return. I am more concerned about this leading to something else.

we traded Stanley for Thon Maker. can't believe we got him tbh, Stanley is awful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnED...ature=youtu.be

Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    we traded Stanley for Thon Maker. can't believe we got him tbh, Stanley is awful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnED...ature=youtu.be
    not bad at all, swap of busts who still have upside

Detroit went from a team that was $482K below the tax to currently $2.6M with the acquisition of Svi Mykhailiuk and now Thon Maker. The trade with the Lakers for Mykhailiuk allowed Detroit to pursue Maker and stay below the tax. Maker has a $2.8M cap hit this season and $3.6M in 2019-20. He will become a restricted free agent in 2020.
    makes sense

Good trades - both.

Reggie would have been unsignable due to the amount of money he will command this summer. 3-n-D guy, he'll get minimum 5M and probably closer to 7-8M. Stanlslav (whatever) is a cheap contract and if we don't do anything else, he can be waived in the summer.

Stanley was due a 5.4M (iirc) qualifying offer or else he'd be an UFA. So, he signs our qualifier and blows up, we wouldn't be able to resign him. I thin Maker can be a better shooter and offensive threat than Stanley and with his length, an overall better defender on more people.

At the end of the day, cheaper contracts now and going forward with the ability to still do something today.

Quote Originally Posted by markbutter View Post
    Good trades - both.

Reggie would have been unsignable due to the amount of money he will command this summer. 3-n-D guy, he'll get minimum 5M and probably closer to 7-8M. Stanlslav (whatever) is a cheap contract and if we don't do anything else, he can be waived in the summer.

Stanley was due a 5.4M (iirc) qualifying offer or else he'd be an UFA. So, he signs our qualifier and blows up, we wouldn't be able to resign him. I thin Maker can be a better shooter and offensive threat than Stanley and with his length, an overall better defender on more people.

At the end of the day, cheaper contracts now and going forward with the ability to still do something today.
    I am just as thrilled that they didn't piss away their 1st rd pick on a 30 something. Wish we could have hocked Zaza, Ish, and/or Calderon but oh well.

Wait, Ellenson doesn't suck?

https://nypost.com/2019/02/27/former...ro-for-knicks/

A key part of the Knicks’ rally from 16 points down in the first half and 10 in the fourth quarter, Ellenson hit the game-sealing 3-pointer with 2:11 left that jacked the Knicks’ lead to 104-100. It capped his surreal evening — 13 points, nine rebounds, five assists, two steals and a postgame oncourt interview with MSG Network’s Rebecca Haarlow.

I honestly forgot we waived him to add Ellington. Ellenson for Ellington is funny to me for some reason

Wait, Ellenson doesn't suck?

https://nypost.com/2019/02/27/former...ro-for-knicks/

I honestly forgot we waived him to add Ellington. Ellenson for Ellington is funny to me for some reason
    i finally noticed the first N in Ellenson's last name couple months ago. been calling him Elleson his whole career, that's how trash this man has been

**** him and SVG. could've had malik beasley but we went with an unathletic big man

According to Frank Isola of The Athletic, the Detroit Pistons have emerged the favorite to sign Derrick Rose.
    Rose enjoyed a monster bounce-back season in Minnesota, but saw his season end a bit early due to a slight right elbow fracture. The most the Wolves can offer him is 4-years, $38 million, though it remains to be seen what his market his across the league. For the Pistons, Ish Smith is a free agent and Reggie Jackson has one more year left on his current contract.
    via rotoworld.
    Last edited by LionsFan..LOL; 06-29-2019 at 10:37 PM.

ugh

alright, so thankfully we didn't get Russ, did CP3 get bought out? Is he a lock to the Lakers? I'd honestly rather him reunite with Blake than have Russ here. With Russ it would've been an offense of "let RW chuck up some junk and have Blake or Dre rebound, then start offense from there", just like OKC did with Adams. With CP3 we'd have "Detroit Lob City" with Paul and Blake back together and Dre as a younger, better Jordan

Doubt it happens, but after signing all the vets to show that we're playing for NOW, why not?

Ahh who am I kidding, he's going to the LA

alright, so thankfully we didn't get Russ, did CP3 get bought out? Is he a lock to the Lakers? I'd honestly rather him reunite with Blake than have Russ here. With Russ it would've been an offense of "let RW chuck up some junk and have Blake or Dre rebound, then start offense from there", just like OKC did with Adams. With CP3 we'd have "Detroit Lob City" with Paul and Blake back together and Dre as a younger, better Jordan

Doubt it happens, but after signing all the vets to show that we're playing for NOW, why not?

Ahh who am I kidding, he's going to the LA

"Doubt it happens, but after signing all the vets to show that we're playing for NOW, why not?" You call Markieff and Rose signings - going for the gold now?

OKC won't buy out CP3. He's due 120M over the next 3 years. They going to buy him out for 100, use the stretch provision for the next 2-5 years (the Josh Smith method, whose contract we just shed this past season) and still be salary capped strung? They need picks and expiring contracts. Hello Reggie, Galloway and Snell (who has 2 years). The money is 1.7M off and we have two trade exceptions.

Thing is, with all the picks they got from LA, at least the next two seasons will be late 20s pick, if they trade CP3 to us, you have to believe the next 2-3 years, those picks are late 20s. It's the picks in 2022 and beyond that count. And we could space two first round picks and the guys above to slot in between the picks they got from LA with swap rights.

The rumor here in LA was a rift between Paul & Blake with DeAndre Jordan stuck in between. But that was 3 years ago and I would think that maturity has occurred and Blake is no longer the high flyer he once was.

Dre
    Blake
    CP3
    Luke
    Find a SF

Get Zza Zza at vet minimum, Rose, Bruce Brown, Thon and Markieff coming in, that's a 4 or 5 seed in the east this season - or should be at a minimum. Look to the waiver wire at the deadline. Obviously improvement over the next 2-3 years is internal and hinges on Luke, K. Thomas and Myschulick.

Paul can play 26-30 mins a night and Rose 15-20, with Brown here and there or at the 3. PnR with Dre', which is equivalent or better the PnR with Jordan, Blake's spot up 3 is much better than he was in LA. Sure, at 37, CP3 is going to 42M, truly horrible number. But that's in 21-22 season. Window is 3 years, which is the same season Blake's contract expires, Dre's expires the season before. Its a make or bust scenario, because we'd be in cap hell and pay lux tax, and having paid in 3 of the last 5 (5 years from now), repeater tax. But is Brown or Rose that guy next season ?? - assuming we don't resign Reggie, which I don't think we will. And if he blows up, then we sign him for an inflated contract that would be more than 2-3 years longer(when CP3 would be expiring), then we've got that albatross contract. Because this next contract is the last opportunity that Reggie will have at a big contract.

Bottom line is, we'd be a lot more competitive with CP3, it would put butts in the Arena, generate excitement, and give us a puncher's chance in the east. The alternative is a 6-8 seed, maybe a first round win, a big decision next summer regarding Reggie and that contract going forward, and if Dre' bolts after next season, we take our lumps the third year of Blake/CP3 contract and rebuild. IMHO, the probable positives and possible positives outweigh the known and probable negatives over the next 2 and 3 years. And if we make a run this season under this scenario, we can get a couple of vet minimums next summer to make a better run. Time for Gores to push the chips all in for two seasons.
    Last edited by markbutter; 07-13-2019 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by markbutter View Post
    "Doubt it happens, but after signing all the vets to show that we're playing for NOW, why not?" You call Markieff and Rose signings - going for the gold now?
    absolutely, we didn't sell, didn't rebuild, moved a bench bum for a possible starter, signed a former MVP and a solid vet, that's going for it, whether our roster is actually good enough to do it is another thing lol, but keeping the coach and the roster and adding more to it means we're gonna try now

absolutely, we didn't sell, didn't rebuild, moved a bench bum for a possible starter, signed a former MVP and a solid vet, that's going for it, whether our roster is actually good enough to do it is another thing lol, but keeping the coach and the roster and adding more to it means we're gonna try now

Perhaps I didn't phrase it right.

"we didn't sell" - didn't have anyone to sell except Luke. He was the sticking point in trying to trade for Conley at the deadline, from what I've heard. So yes, we didn't sell, but we have different view of sell.

"didn't rebuild" - is tough with our payroll, players that would be tough to trade and get good value back.

"moved a bench bum for a possible starter" - that was all on Mil. They had to get some cap relief for next year and the year after comparing the contracts of Leuer & Snell. In fact, Mil already waived Leuer.

"Signed a former MVP" - That was 8 years ago and nobody believes Rose is what he once was, or even close. Yes, I would imagine the offers he had or would have had - all things being equal - this is the deal he went for right out of the box and at 7M, I don't think he would have had many offers like that - i.e., a known amount of minutes, given Ish's last year, a playoff team and I thnk the culture we're trying to build. Could he have gotten more money - say from NY or a Phx? think yes. Are any of those teams, with a lucky bounce, making it to the second round or an outside shot at ECF? No. So he took the best first deal, which worked to our benefit.

A solid vet" - only half that statement is correct. We will see if the other half is true this season.

I do like the moves we've made.

"but keeping the coach and the roster and adding more to it means we're gonna try now" That's why I say - make the move now for CP3. It's addition by subtraction and makes us a lot better this and next year than what we will have either way going forward without trading. I stick by my statement: The positives and probable positives making the trade outweigh the probable results and downside of not making the trade. If I read you correctly, we have a playoff team at worst, currently in the east. Adding Paul for Reggie, Snell & Galloway is a far better upgrade. I do admit, we lose some depth. But, the positives outweigh the negatives if you're swinging for the fences. And I think that's what we should do.

wait, so you said all that to ultimately agree with me?

Page 52 of 53 FirstFirst ... 24250515253 LastLast