Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    After the season opener Dave Cameron looks like a genius. Well at least there are 161 more of these bad boys. Go Rangers.

Quote Originally Posted by zookman65 View Post
    After the season opener Dave Cameron looks like a genius. Well at least there are 161 more of these bad boys. Go Rangers.
    Yea but the Braves are 2-0.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDFan85 View Post
    I know we all go back and forth with you on all of this, but I have to hand it to you here. This might just be the first post, post Nolan Ryan era, that you didn't inject Nolan Ryan, "stat geeks", or how this team would be the best ever with Nolan at the helm. Congrats sir. With the vernal equinox coming up soon, could this possibly be a sign of turning over a new leaf?
    Yes, most people respond well to general smarminess and back handed commentary - especially when it is hyperbole' inundated....

Vernal Equinox huh? Well As long as we are waxing astrological, I will simply say the sun has apparently set on your reading and comprehension skills- if in fact you ever possessed any.

While it is FACT that the Rangers were better with A HOF er in Ryan I never stated the team would be "the best ever", and never even inferred it. Yet they probably would be better. Clearly Daniels and many on this board are "stat geaks" - touche', but stats only go so far in sports- even baseball.

As a long time baseball guy who played through college went into the Pirates system and then became an umpire said to me - People that want a "partner" as an MLB Manager need to get married, or start a law firm". We both laughed . IMO -which he agreed with , in Baseball like all sports a computer algorithm cannot factor "chemistry", "heart", "determination", or other intangibles like "attitude" or "commitment".

Four years ago this team was a contender and no one here can argue that Fact either. However there was a paradigm shift and the team was fractured by the FO. They would have been fine without Hamilton too. Yet the fracturing continued to happen in the FO, and on the field where integral pieces were either non tendered or just disregarded. The Farm talent has been depleted in foolish trades and rentals which have blown up in the GM's face- and for the Ranger fans. That also is fact.

Now the Rangers are a team still in decline and rebuilding without stating so. Unfortunately they are trying to rebuild from within with a farm system that needs to be rebuilt itself while young, physically or emotionally immature players are paying the price for the Management's poor decisions.

I can go on but that is all for now. I know what I see from my own athletic experience and from coaching for several years. It is not rocket science but it is hard for most folks who only play on the internet or in fantasy leagues to grasp. Hint- that's why it is called "fantasy"....

I'll make a deal with you and everyone here. Very simply I will not bring up how the Rangers failed and continue to fail in their new philosophy and have not been successful without Ryan as long as everyone else does not bring up the "genius" of Daniels. Beside that after this season and perhaps the next, my point will have been made -with a bullet.

Bad things happen to bad teams. It's that simple.
    Last edited by waveone; 04-11-2015 at 03:49 PM.

Remind me again why we didn't keep Nelson Cruz? 4 HRs already playing in the very difficult to hit Safeco field. Wow poor JD cant catch a break as Prince Fielder has turned into the best singles hitter in the AL.

Quote Originally Posted by waveone View Post
    Yes, most people respond well to general smarminess and back handed commentary - especially when it is hyperbole' inundated....

Vernal Equinox huh? Well As long as we are waxing astrological, I will simply say the sun has apparently set on your reading and comprehension skills- if in fact you ever possessed any.

While it is FACT that the Rangers were better with A HOF er in Ryan I never stated the team would be "the best ever", and never even inferred it. Yet they probably would be better. Clearly Daniels and many on this board are "stat geaks" - touche', but stats only go so far in sports- even baseball.

As a long time baseball guy who played through college went into the Pirates system and then became an umpire said to me - People that want a "partner" as an MLB Manager need to get married, or start a law firm". We both laughed . IMO -which he agreed with , in Baseball like all sports a computer algorithm cannot factor "chemistry", "heart", "determination", or other intangibles like "attitude" or "commitment".

Four years ago this team was a contender and no one here can argue that Fact either. However there was a paradigm shift and the team was fractured by the FO. They would have been fine without Hamilton too. Yet the fracturing continued to happen in the FO, and on the field where integral pieces were either non tendered or just disregarded. The Farm talent has been depleted in foolish trades and rentals which have blown up in the GM's face- and for the Ranger fans. That also is fact.

Now the Rangers are a team still in decline and rebuilding without stating so. Unfortunately they are trying to rebuild from within with a farm system that needs to be rebuilt itself while young, physically or emotionally immature players are paying the price for the Management's poor decisions.

I can go on but that is all for now. I know what I see from my own athletic experience and from coaching for several years. It is not rocket science but it is hard for most folks who only play on the internet or in fantasy leagues to grasp. Hint- that's why it is called "fantasy"....

I'll make a deal with you and everyone here. Very simply I will not bring up how the Rangers failed and continue to fail in their new philosophy and have not been successful without Ryan as long as everyone else does not bring up the "genius" of Daniels. Beside that after this season and perhaps the next, my point will have been made -with a bullet.

Bad things happen to bad teams. It's that simple.
    I actually don't disagree with anything you said, except for the failure part, as we haven't seen the finished product on the field yet to judge accordingly.

I will say this, I played team sports all through high school and college (and still do, recreationally) and I completely agree with your comments about heart, passion and commitment. Its actually pretty rare at any level of competition to see a team with the most talent win the title. There are plenty of times I can remember that we won against a team that was full of more talented players but we were clearly the better team. The difference? Some of that is "sports IQ" but a large part of that is knowing and trusting your teammates to do their role, so you can more focus on yours.

And I do agree that thats gone away to an extent with the Rangers. Daniels has a tough proposition for himself in retooling the team to stay young and competitive while making sure there's not so much turnover that its a locker room of strangers. In trading Kinsler for Fielder, the team got younger and dealt from a position of strength (at the time) for a major weakness. Great deal on paper of course, but the damage to team chemistry was significant. I think Elvis has a chance to be a phenomenal leader also, but he hasn't matured as quickly as we would like and his lack of commitment shows in his performance. Beltre leads this team by example for now.

Ultimately, the guy who is responsible for bringing leadership and attitude to where it needs to be is not the GM, but the manager. This is why I can't stand Ron Washington. Besides his own personal transgressions (how can you have a cokehead running a team with Hamilton, a self admitted addict, on it), he was crude and unprofessional and never sowed the seeds of accountability that forms the basis for a dominant team. The jury is still out on Bannister, but I think he's a much better fit and he's already shown to be a better game manager. This is the least talented Rangers team in a decade, so lets see if they can come together and be the underdog.

First damaging and then throwing away Ogando was a giant stupid for Jon Daniels who has a great weakness understanding young pitching. Good for Ogando to finally get away from Daniels. Damaging Scheppers last year needlessly was another stupid by JD. The damage to the bullpen will be difficult to overcome.

Obtaining Gallardo and Hamilton were strong moves. Getting Wandy may pay off.

This team would be very strong had Darvish and Holland been able to begin the season in form. The losses of those two will end up defining the season.

The offense's poor beginning will be overcome. It's a long season. Choo, Beltre, Fielder, and Hamilton will prove to be a strong core to the offense. Andrus is who he is, the contract was just a mistake but it's done now. Martin has some room for improvement but I doubt he will ever bee a lot more than he is. Odor's ceiling is still a question mark. Who knows who Moreland is?

I don't know how you think this team would be very strong if it wasn't for pitching injuries?? We have had historic low offensive production which has nothing to do with the pitching injuries. Lets face it JD screwed up and this team is in a downward spiral at least for this year. Beltre is of the age where he may have started his steep decline. Fielder has turned into one of the best singles hitters in the league and Andrus just cant play offense or defense. Choo will be lucky to battle up to 200 by year end at this rate. You Mr. Texassooner are incredibly optimistic. I am glad you have a glass half full outlook but in this case I think the glass has shattered.

Quote Originally Posted by zookman65 View Post
    I don't know how you think this team would be very strong if it wasn't for pitching injuries?? We have had historic low offensive production which has nothing to do with the pitching injuries. Lets face it JD screwed up and this team is in a downward spiral at least for this year. Beltre is of the age where he may have started his steep decline. Fielder has turned into one of the best singles hitters in the league and Andrus just cant play offense or defense. Choo will be lucky to battle up to 200 by year end at this rate. You Mr. Texassooner are incredibly optimistic. I am glad you have a glass half full outlook but in this case I think the glass has shattered.
    You are right. I admit it. I am guilty of believing there are 6 months to the season and April is only one of them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12