Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,153

    Rangers Off Season: What do you think?

    Its been quiet to say the least. I'm not one for blind optimism, but not spending money and making a few shrewd trades could go a long way to reestablish relevance for the Rangers.

    Even with all the injuries, the offense was good to average last year. All of the high OBP guys missed time, so with a little better luck in the health department that number should be top 10. Even with left field and catcher still pretty iffy, just getting 500 ABs from Choo and Fielder should boost the offense. Any progress from Martin, Odor and Andrus would be welcome and we finally get to see what Profar can do.

    The big problem was pitching. The team was 28th or below in every major pitching statistical category, but JD did make some clever moves to redo the rotation. The leaders in innings pitched last year went like this: Colby Lewis, Yu Darvish, Nick Martinez, Nick Tepesch, Scott Baker and Robbie Ross with only Baker being primarily a reliever. This year? Only Darvish and Lewis project to be in the rotation. Darvish, Gallardo and Holland are three fantastic starters (with only Darvish having a significant injury history if you ignore Hollands fluky injury last year). Lewis is a workhorse who had an ERA under 4 the last two months of the year. The 5th spot is up for grabs with a lot of candidates: Ross Detwiler, Anthony Ranaudo, and the young bunch from last year (Martinez, Tepesch and rook Chi Chi Gonzalez). The team only needs one guy to be successful (and my money is on Ranaudo). After that, you have 4 capable starters in case someone goes down (and they will). Better depth, better young talent, and hopefully better luck.

    Considering the As got weaker, the Mariners are mediocre and the Angels have questions, the Rangers have a shot at this thing.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    24,090
    I love that everyone is not buying into the Rangers. It's silly.

    Just on the pitching side alone, starting pitching, they are primed to get 400+ better innings than they got last year.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by harlequin018 View Post
    Its been quiet to say the least. I'm not one for blind optimism, but not spending money and making a few shrewd trades could go a long way to reestablish relevance for the Rangers.

    Even with all the injuries, the offense was good to average last year. All of the high OBP guys missed time, so with a little better luck in the health department that number should be top 10. Even with left field and catcher still pretty iffy, just getting 500 ABs from Choo and Fielder should boost the offense. Any progress from Martin, Odor and Andrus would be welcome and we finally get to see what Profar can do.

    The big problem was pitching. The team was 28th or below in every major pitching statistical category, but JD did make some clever moves to redo the rotation. The leaders in innings pitched last year went like this: Colby Lewis, Yu Darvish, Nick Martinez, Nick Tepesch, Scott Baker and Robbie Ross with only Baker being primarily a reliever. This year? Only Darvish and Lewis project to be in the rotation. Darvish, Gallardo and Holland are three fantastic starters (with only Darvish having a significant injury history if you ignore Hollands fluky injury last year). Lewis is a workhorse who had an ERA under 4 the last two months of the year. The 5th spot is up for grabs with a lot of candidates: Ross Detwiler, Anthony Ranaudo, and the young bunch from last year (Martinez, Tepesch and rook Chi Chi Gonzalez). The team only needs one guy to be successful (and my money is on Ranaudo). After that, you have 4 capable starters in case someone goes down (and they will). Better depth, better young talent, and hopefully better luck.

    Considering the As got weaker, the Mariners are mediocre and the Angels have questions, the Rangers have a shot at this thing.
    Yes indeed, measuring my teams potential for success by the presumed downgrading of it's competition is always a ringing endorsement of their direction. The Rangers FO's forward thinking and innovation is awe inspiring. Especially for the last three years.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,153
    The Rangers play 76 games against their in-division rivals. If those teams are weaker, then yes, its a factor towards a better record.

    You don't like it when we list statistics, okay fine. I'll give you results, the Rangers have never had consecutive 90 win seasons. They strung 4 such seasons in a row from 2010 to 2013. They had won 1 postseason game in their history as a franchise until JD took over. Now they have 19. Even if you include the throwaway season that was last year, they have averaged 87 wins the past 6 years, which is the most successful run in the franchises history.

    You point to Nolan Ryan as the reason for all of this success, and I don't doubt that he was a factor. But the title of president isn't necessarily a baseball position. The president of the Rays, for example, knows nothing about baseball and was a hire because he was so successful in running the finances of Goldman Sachs. Its the responsibility of the GM to make the final call on all talent based baseball decisions. Its then the job of the president to make sure those finances work (and convey them to ownership).

    But I'm just wasting my breath. You need a hug bud.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,078

    Rangers Off Season: What do you think?

    You the real MVP

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Metroplex
    Posts
    2,251
    What do I think of the Rangers off season so far? It sucks!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,152
    Quote Originally Posted by zookman65 View Post
    What do I think of the Rangers off season so far? It sucks!
    Seeing Joey Gallo absolutely destroy baseballs helps for me. That and drugs, lots and lots of drugs...

    It would be nice to get through one spring training without losing one of our key players for the season though. Stupid Darvish!!! THIS IS ALL JON DANIELS FAULT!!!!!
    Dallas Mavericks 2010-11 NBA CHAMPIONS
    Dirk Nowitzki 2010-2011 Finals MVP

    Texas Rangers 2010, 2011 AL West & AL Champions

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,153
    I forgot to mention the biggest improvement this team has made: getting rid of Ron Washington.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDFan85 View Post
    Seeing Joey Gallo absolutely destroy baseballs helps for me. That and drugs, lots and lots of drugs...

    It would be nice to get through one spring training without losing one of our key players for the season though. Stupid Darvish!!! THIS IS ALL JON DANIELS FAULT!!!!!

    LOL- you clowns crack me up. Your heads are perennially up Daniels jock praising him unless something goes wrong then it is anyone's fault but his.

    While Daniels is to blame for many things this injury of Darvish clearly is not, but hey, no one is going to stop you from acting fool if you like.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,152
    Quote Originally Posted by waveone View Post
    LOL- you clowns crack me up. Your heads are perennially up Daniels jock praising him unless something goes wrong then it is anyone's fault but his.

    While Daniels is to blame for many things this injury of Darvish clearly is not, but hey, no one is going to stop you from acting fool if you like.
    I know we all go back and forth with you on all of this, but I have to hand it to you here. This might just be the first post, post Nolan Ryan era, that you didn't inject Nolan Ryan, "stat geeks", or how this team would be the best ever with Nolan at the helm. Congrats sir. With the vernal equinox coming up soon, could this possibly be a sign of turning over a new leaf?
    Dallas Mavericks 2010-11 NBA CHAMPIONS
    Dirk Nowitzki 2010-2011 Finals MVP

    Texas Rangers 2010, 2011 AL West & AL Champions

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Metroplex
    Posts
    2,251
    I think Dave Cameron the Managing Editor of Fangraphs said it best last week on his weekly podcast:
    - No team in MLB has made more bad decisions over past 2 or 3 years than the Rangers
    - They committed 270 million in money to 2 aging players that weren't going to age well and now aren't aging well in a hurry
    - Projects the Rangers to win 73 games in 2015

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,152
    Quote Originally Posted by zookman65 View Post
    I think Dave Cameron the Managing Editor of Fangraphs said it best last week on his weekly podcast:
    - No team in MLB has made more bad decisions over past 2 or 3 years than the Rangers
    - They committed 270 million in money to 2 aging players that weren't going to age well and now aren't aging well in a hurry
    - Projects the Rangers to win 73 games in 2015
    The big issue I have with this is saying that Fielder and Choo are currently in a rapid decline. They were both injured last year, and both were trying to play though the injuries. I'm not exactly sure how you can equate that to them not aging well quicker than once thought. I'd hold off judgement until there is a bigger sample size available where they are healthy.
    Dallas Mavericks 2010-11 NBA CHAMPIONS
    Dirk Nowitzki 2010-2011 Finals MVP

    Texas Rangers 2010, 2011 AL West & AL Champions

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Metroplex
    Posts
    2,251
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDFan85 View Post
    The big issue I have with this is saying that Fielder and Choo are currently in a rapid decline. They were both injured last year, and both were trying to play though the injuries. I'm not exactly sure how you can equate that to them not aging well quicker than once thought. I'd hold off judgement until there is a bigger sample size available where they are healthy.
    You are correct that it is a small sample size although I think Fielder was showing some signs of tailing off for a year or two before the injury year. Lets reanalyze after this year. If both are either injury riddled or underperform we could think of it as a trend as older players tend to tail off and become more injury prone. 2015 will be a key year to see if we salvage anything from these huge contracts

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,152
    Quote Originally Posted by zookman65 View Post
    You are correct that it is a small sample size although I think Fielder was showing some signs of tailing off for a year or two before the injury year. Lets reanalyze after this year. If both are either injury riddled or underperform we could think of it as a trend as older players tend to tail off and become more injury prone. 2015 will be a key year to see if we salvage anything from these huge contracts
    I have zero issues with any of that. I agree 100%
    Dallas Mavericks 2010-11 NBA CHAMPIONS
    Dirk Nowitzki 2010-2011 Finals MVP

    Texas Rangers 2010, 2011 AL West & AL Champions

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,153
    Dave Cameron is a good writer, but fangraphs in general is terrible at generating predictions. I remember reading a Cameron article last year when he recommended Paul Maholm, Jerome Williams and Chris Capuano as solid starters to fill out rotations. Well all three guys lost their starters jobs last year and Maholm is currently (and probably permanently) unemployed.

    He also had an article when he recommended each of Lincecum, Halladay, Josh Johnson and Dan Haren when they were free agents. Yea, turns out they were all done.

    He wrote an article about the Braves in September of 2013, when they were well on their way to winning the NL East, and how they were prime to be perennial WS candidates. That didn't happen. Now he projects them to be one of the worst teams in the majors, even though a large portion of the youth that he was praising is still there, only a year and a half removed from winning 96 games (yea, they traded everybody and they won't make the postseason, but there's no way that team loses 100 games like Cameron predicts).

    I wouldn't read too much into his predictions, its his weakest subject. His analysis though is absolutely top notch. I'd be okay with him picking the MVP every year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •