24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tom Brady

14 58.33%
  • Joe Montana

10 41.67%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brady v Montana

Brady v Montana

It's not hard to make an argument that these are the two greatest QBs of all time, or at least of the Super Bowl Era. I realize that nothing will change anybodies minds, and that it is probably a given that everyone will vote and most people will comment without actually reading this, but I'm bored and interested.

Tom Brady Regular Season:
    207 Starts
    160-47 (.773 Win%)
    Never had a starting record at .500 or below in a season.
    4551 completions, 7168 attempts (63.5 comp %)
    53,258 Yards (7.4 Yards per Attempt)
    392 TD passes (5.5 TD%)
    143 Interceptions (2.0 Int %)
    95.9 Passer Rating
    4th Quarter comebacks: 35
    Game Winning Drives: 46

Joe Montana Regular Season:
    164 Starts
    117-47 (.713 Win%)
    2 Seasons as a starter under .500 (9 starts or less in both instances, discounting an 0-1 '79)
    3409 completions, 5391 attempts (63.9 comp %)
    40,551 yards (7.5 Yards per Attempt)
    273 TD passes (5.1 TD%)
    139 Interceptions (2.6 Int%)
    92.3 Passer Rating
    4th Quarter Comebacks: 31
    Game Winning Drives: 33

In terms of winning, Brady has Montana beat in both total wins and Win%, as well as winning seasons, playoff appearances, and consistency. I understand that people will comment on Montana having played in a more difficult era for passers statistically, but lets not forget that Tom Brady played (and continues to play) in the Salary Cap Era, and Era designed specifically for stopping exactly what Brady and the Patriots have been able to do.
    Statistically, Montana's only advantage is a .1 difference in yards per attempt, with close to 2000 less pass attempts. (See below for comments on offensive era and schemes)

Tom Brady Playoffs:
    Super Bowl Titles: 4
    AFC Championships: 6
    29 Starts
    21-8 record (.724)
    683 out of 1085 (62.9 comp%)
    7,345 yards (6.8 yards per attempt)
    53 TDs (4.9 TD%)
    26 Interceptions (2.4 INT%)
    Passer Rating: 89.0
    4th Quarter Comebacks: 6
    Game Winning Drives: 9

Joe Montana Playoffs:
    Super Bowl Titles: 4
    AFC Championships: 4
    23 Starts
    16-7 record (.696)
    460 out of 734 (62.7 comp%)
    5,772 yards (7.9 yards per attempt)
    45 TD passes (6.1 TD%)
    21 Interceptions (2.9 INT%)
    Passer Rating: 95.6
    4th Quarter Comebacks: 5
    Game Winning Drives: 5

Other than a higher interception rate and slightly lower completion percentage, Montana has outperformed Brady statistically in the playoffs, though with slightly less success in terms of winning. Brady's longevity has contributed to him having higher counting stats than Montana in the playoffs. Normally I do not put too much into counting stats, but when comparing the two greatest QBs to ever play the game, it is worth noting that Brady has been able to actually maintain his career longer, stay healthy, and continue to get to the playoffs. There is some luck involved in this, but Brady's work ethic and commitment should not be understated.

Major Awards:
    MVPs: 2 Each
    SBMVPs: 3 Each

Statistically, Brady played most of his career in an era designed to favor passing offenses. He should not be faulted for this, as he did not choose the era he played in, but he did take advantage of it by statistically dominating most of his peers, consistently putting up record setting offenses and statistics. It should be noted that everybody played under these rules, therefore taking nothing away from his SB wins and appearances. Additionally, it was not until 2004, the year in which Brady won his 3rd SB, that the passing game was made much easier following a Colts playoff loss in 03. Taking nothing away from Brady, it should still be noted that Montana put up his numbers in a more difficult time for passers.

While Montana played in a more difficult era, he played with the greatest WR of all time in Jerry Rice, with a mastermind offensive Head Coach in Bill Walsh. The West Coast Offense, mastered by Walsh and Montana, is an offensive designed for QB efficiency. Brady, with the exception of 2007, 2011, and 2012, played with a team built around defense, with a defensive minded (though magnificent) Head Coach, often times with far below average receivers.

Schematically, Brady began his career in an offense that preferred the run game. It became more balanced in 05 and 06. In 07, Brady ran a Vertical Offense. In 2010-2012, he ran a SPread offense featuring a hurry up offense and heavier usage of TEs. This season, he was back to a more balanced offense.

Before simply tossing Brady's stats aside in favor of Montana's due to era, those are important facts to consider.

Ultimately, this is very close. If I get to choose one to build my franchise around from their rookie year, I'm taking Tom Brady.

Additionally, lets not forget that Brady's career isn't even over yet.

I really need to download 6-8 Montana games and binge on them sometime. He was still playing when I was young but I just don't have any real vivid memories.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    Boobs. I was eating *** one time and she farted

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I really need to download 6-8 Montana games and binge on them sometime. He was still playing when I was young but I just don't have any real vivid memories.
    As a Chiefs fan I'd recommend his duel against John Elway in I think the 93 season. One of my favorite games ever.

Quote Originally Posted by jneises21 View Post
    As a Chiefs fan I'd recommend his duel against John Elway in I think the 93 season. One of my favorite games ever.
    I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    Boobs. I was eating *** one time and she farted

Yeah just checked. It was the MNF game in the 94 season. I wish he could of stayed healthy for us.. Crazy how healthy he was for the majority of his career though with that frame

A lot of QB's are better than Montana IMO. I think he's overrated because of his super bowl wins. I'm not saying he sucks or he's not good, because he's obviously good but there are better QB's than him. Brady is better than Montana.

Quote Originally Posted by zn23 View Post
    A lot of QB's are better than Montana IMO. I think he's overrated because of his super bowl wins. I'm not saying he sucks or he's not good, because he's obviously good but there are better QB's than him. Brady is better than Montana.
    Such as?

1989 49ers @ Eagles:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c8tgxO-4xM

It is nearly impossible to compare stats cross era. While on one hand you dont want to penalized Brady but on the other hand you cant over look it either. I saw both and was not a fan of either though with time i fell in love with Montana's game.

If you watch earlier Montana the first thing you see is just how mobile he was. Their arms were really close as far as talent wise goes. I think with time Brady has gotten to a Montana like football IQ. The biggest difference is the legs. Montana could do things Brady couldn't while I believe Montana could do everything Brady could.

Now its just my opinion. So be it.

Me and my Boys.
    Thank you PSD for your support and prayers.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm:29626093
    Quote Originally Posted by jneises21 View Post
    Any fan of the game needs to watch that game. One of my all time favorite games if not my most.

Me and my Boys.

Did you ever see Joe play and not in KC, in San Francisco?? From this statement I'm getting a no

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnight:29626263
    Did you ever see Joe play and not in KC, in San Francisco?? From this statement I'm getting a no
    I actually thought he was grest in KC. He was out of the gane for 2 full seasons and goes to a new team with a new scheme new teammates. He came one game short of the SB. I thought imo it proved his greatness.

Me and my Boys.

Brady is no slouch but that`s like comparing L. James to Michael Jordan, Jordan and Montana never choked on the big stage/ lights out 100% of the time.

You`ll get further dissecting King Kong vs. Godzilla

Very hard to compare because of all the changes to coddle QB's in this era while padding their passing numbers.

Brady definitely has the numbers to support his career over Montana.

That being said, after watching a lot of Montana's classic games, it's hard to imagine anyone better. The dude seemed as perfect as a QB could be on the field. He was a surgeon with the ball. Montana made a lot of plays that Brady simply can't.

Don't really think there's a right or wrong answer. Through Brady's awesome humility, he personally doesn't believe he's close to him. Brady might be Montana's biggest fan too. So awesome to see the photo of him at the NFC championship game with "the catch".

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast