Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
    Well, today is the day wehave been dreading since the announcement was made on January 23. I feel like the Mariners have set baseball back 60-70 years and it's not a good feeling. They simply combined the worst 2 eras in Mariners history (1987-92, 1993-2014) to make an alternate, and a cream one at that, we wanted something entirely different. It's a punch to the gut, no question about it.
    Again with the "we." Not everyone agrees with you on everything like you seem to think. I don't mind the jerseys at all. I don't want them full time, but a few times a year I think it's a cool change of pace.

Kent St. has a nice jersey, hopefully the Mariners will use it for inspiration regarding new jerseys next season. A lot of potential there.

In 2014, the Mariners were 27th out of 30 in MLB regarding jersey sales. The 2015 ranking probably won't change that standing either. MLB jerseys as a whole, trail far behind the NFL and NBA. Did somebody say "get rid of the buttons!"? Well, that couldn't hurt.

Once again, people can and do disagree with you. I think jerseys without buttons look ****ing awful. And I'm pretty sure sales will go way up this year considering they have new jerseys. That's probably a major reason they made the change.

In 2014, the Mariners were 27th out of 30 in MLB regarding jersey sales. The 2015 ranking probably won't change that standing either. MLB jerseys as a whole, trail far behind the NFL and NBA. Did somebody say "get rid of the buttons!"? Well, that couldn't hurt.
    You gotta be kidding me.

He isn't. Most of his posts are related to team uniforms. Which, that's fine, it's his prerogative. The thing I don't like is the way he acts like everyone agrees with him.

The problem is baseball wide, it's not just limited to the Mariners. Give me personalities, give me better uniforms, give me better times. Sometimes you require more than just a good player. Some of the early season Mariners promos include Kyle Seager nonsensical cream t-shirt day. Seager's a good player, but he has the personality of a flake of dandruff. Another one, Iwakuma bear hat, I've never heard Hisashi Iwakuma talk in the 4 seasons he's been a Mariner. If you want to market individuals, they better be interesting. If the sport becomes nothing but a pool of white southern country club robots or foreign players we have to communicate through interpreters, that will be a shame. The people require more today. They want color, they want individuality. They want entertainers. This why baseball has a difficult time attracting new fans. The game goes out of its way to be unrelatable as possible. Cream uniforms? You mean the uniforms of segregation? Sure, let's bring that back. Even Safeco altered the sound of its recorded organ music to sound more old fashioned, as if the presence of any organ sounds wasn't old fashioned enough. There's that disconnect baseball has with the young consumer. I hope for better times.

Cream uniforms....the uniforms of segregation.

The problem is baseball wide, it's not just limited to the Mariners. Give me personalities, give me better uniforms, give me better times. Sometimes you require more than just a good player. Some of the early season Mariners promos include Kyle Seager nonsensical cream t-shirt day. Seager's a good player, but he has the personality of a flake of dandruff. Another one, Iwakuma bear hat, I've never heard Hisashi Iwakuma talk in the 4 seasons he's been a Mariner. If you want to market individuals, they better be interesting. If the sport becomes nothing but a pool of white southern country club robots or foreign players we have to communicate through interpreters, that will be a shame. The people require more today. They want color, they want individuality. They want entertainers. This why baseball has a difficult time attracting new fans. The game goes out of its way to be unrelatable as possible. Cream uniforms? You mean the uniforms of segregation? Sure, let's bring that back. Even Safeco altered the sound of its recorded organ music to sound more old fashioned, as if the presence of any organ sounds wasn't old fashioned enough. There's that disconnect baseball has with the young consumer. I hope for better times.
    Again, you seem to be in the minority when expressing these concerns. I don't see anyone complaining that guys who aren't super energetic are getting promotions. Because that's ****ing ridiculous. Why would you care more about personality than what they do on the field? I watch baseball for the baseball, not to hear them talk. A lot of times, guys who do talk just sound like complete idiots.

I agree, but they could have led the movement to rid baseball of buttons & belts and they simply did not go that route. Start off, doing it once or twice a week and go from there. The Mariners were the first pro sports team to have a website, so they have actually led before, but that was a long time ago. The Pirates do it on Sunday home games, but it would have been great for the Mariners to take it about 100 steps further. Grow the brand. Grow the game.

I agree, but they could have led the movement to rid baseball of buttons & belts and they simply did not go that route. Start off, doing it once or twice a week and go from there. The Mariners were the first pro sports team to have a website, so they have actually led before, but that was a long time ago. The Pirates do it on Sunday home games, but it would have been great for the Mariners to take it about 100 steps further. Grow the brand. Grow the game.
    Again, you completely lack the ability to understand that not everyone agrees with you. You assume everyone does, but you are in the minority and it's not even close.

Keep preaching man. I, along with most everyone else, agree completely.

Lol. Where the **** is this supposed movement against buttons and belts?

Well, one thing's for sure, 2014 Mariners Turn Back the Clock game > 2015 Mariners Turn Back the Clock Game. 4 trident home games since the end of '86 and at least 2 Steelheads games. I don't like that ratio. Grow the brand, the right way.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast