Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Trade Mrazek?

Trade Mrazek?

Obviously the Wings are a lock to make the playoffs, and they are likely really close to being the favourite for the Cup. Howard is only 30 years old, meaning he will continue to be a solid to very good starter for 5 more years. Mrazek is only 22. What will they do with him? He is not a backup goalie in the NHL, and has a really high ceiling. There are very few young goalies like him in the NHL, and could probably net a big time return for a rebuilding team. So will they just let him continue to backup Howard? Will he supplant Howard as the starter permanently? Could they deal Howard and go all in with Mrazek? A team like the Leafs could covet him. They are clearly still rebuilding, need a goalie for the future (Reimer and Bernier aren't exactly the saviours), and will be sellers. I'm sure he could be a centrepiece in a deal for Kessel and Cody Franson. Kessel would give the Wings a pure sniper, and Franson would be the right handed D they need. Throw someone like Callahan and perhaps Marachenko in that deal, and they may have something. Thoughts?

I *think* he's the future of the Wings goal tending. The way he's handled himself at just 22 years old is insane to think and see. That kind of pressure would crumble players. I thought he was really in for a major slump after that 5 game stand where he was giving up 4 or 5 goals per but he's turned it around. He's still got a few things he needs to work on (rebounding) but I think his time is coming soon.

I would not be opposed to moving him BUT the return needs to be massive. Whoever trades for him better be stocked with talent because trading for him is going to be very costly or at least I would hope the Wings think that way.

No, he's our future goalie and has showed a great amount of poise and ability.

Like LOL said, we would need to get a huge return if we were to move him.

Yep, he's a good looking goalie prospect, gotta have a solid return.

I highly doubt they end up moving him especially just to make a push this season. I am beginning to get cautiously optimistic that this wings team can make noise in the playoffs this year. I think this next 2 week stretch against playoff caliber opponents will say what kind of contenders we are.

Either way, I don't think Holland is going to be in a push to win now mindset at the deadline. I think Mrazek is set to be the future backup and perhaps one day take over for Jimmy. I just can't see him getting moved at the deadline unless we get piece that is more than just a rental.

To me, there is no reason to move him for reasons others have stated. I see jimmy becoming the back-up within 2 years. Jimmy is a solid goalie, but his health won't be getting better. I don't see Holland selling off the future for the now. Our future is very very promising with Mantha, Pulu, Larkin, Bertuzzi, Sproul, and obviously the kids on the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by dotz View Post
    To me, there is no reason to move him for reasons others have stated. I see jimmy becoming the back-up within 2 years. Jimmy is a solid goalie, but his health won't be getting better. I don't see Holland selling off the future for the now. Our future is very very promising with Mantha, Pulu, Larkin, Bertuzzi, Sproul, and obviously the kids on the roster.
    I agree with this whole heartedly if anyone should have trade talk it's Jimmy not Mrazek ...he is young cheap and the sky is the limit with him it seems.please Dont take this as a get rid of Jimmy he sucks , he is good but has had injury issues, makes big $$$ ( compared to Mrazek ) and is older... I'd prefer to keep both but if I had to tkeep only one I go with youth and upside
    please forgive me i can't really spell , my grammar is terrible andi tend to jump around alot while writing

I havent been on here often lately....but trading Mrazek is flat out dumb. Name the last "hot up and coming" goalie prospect that netted a huge return that you are talking about. Varly? No. Bob? No. Bernier? No. None of those "stuck behind a #1" young goalie netted really anything of value like you are talking about. They usually get a goalie prospect back and a draft pick, or a forward that will never make the NHL and a draft pick, or a package of draft picks. Well Toronto, or really any team at the top of this draft that needs a goalie is not going to trade their first or probably second for a goalie. You NEVER in this age get back value for a young goalie for the same reason people really dont spend high picks on them anymore. So the thought we are going to get a kings haul back for a goalie who has played less games than the previously mentioned three goalies is insane.

And by the way, Bernier has probably been the only good part about Toronto. He has looked fantastic whether or not they are losing horribly because of terrible team play.

I couldnt be further opposed to trading Petr. Not only is he our future, but you will not get remotely close to the value back that we expect. I could see us getting a Varly like package for him, maybe a first and a third, but that does NOTHING for our playoff push and we really dont need the extra draft picks unless we are talking in that top 5 to land a center or Hanifin or Kylington. Get it out of your head now because on all levels its dumb.