Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Leaf fan coming in peace. Saw the Franson and Phaneuf talk and was wondering if you guys had any interest in Roman Polak. Guy has been a great partner for Rielly this season playing a shut down role and has one year left after this at $2.75M. He wouldn't cost you one of your better specs either.

I mean if its a move that can put us over the top then I see the Wings making a move. I don't know if Polak is the guy that's going to put us over the top. Sounds like Holland and the Wings are just going to stand pat at the deadline as if this moment. But like you said he's cheaper in terms of money and prospects so if they make a move that could make sense. It all boils down to Marchenko in the last few days. I think they really want him to take that right hand spot.

Either way, can't wait to sit on my *** and watch Tradecenter (TSN, who has the best hockey coverage) all day next Monday

Who's been playing the right side for you guys this year? I know Kronwall is one of the best at playing his off side but for a team with all lefties it's pretty impressive that they don't get burned more often.
    2015 Re-Draft Dream Team

Hall-Backes-Cammalleri
    Lupul-Bjugstad-Brown
    Rieder-Rakell-Hayes
    Jaskin-Jenner-Stempniak

McDonagh-Doughty
    Orpik-Jones
    Campbell-Gudbranson

Bernier
    Tokarski

Kronwall, DDK and Marchenko right now. I dont see any reason to trade for a guy like Polak. Marchenko is the equivalent of Polak right now with more upside (bottom pairing physical big shut down D, our guy can just move the puck better).

We have two scouts tonight at the Arizona game. I dont think Michalek is any or much better than Marchenko really, but they may be looking at Yandle or OEL as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso_Smith View Post
    IF the Leafs ate a good chunk of the contract, I'd be all for Phaneuf. He hasn't been all that great in Toronto this year, but that place would be one of the worst in the world to play. Media and fans scrutinizing every tiny move. They guy is probably tired of it. A change of scenery would do him well. Not a right handed shot, but he' still help
    If they eat him down to 4.5-5m per I would want him, but otherwise pass, and I dont think Tor would be willing to eat that much unless it was a huge over payment. I dont send Larkin, Mantha or AA prospect wise the other way and I think that would be a must for Tor. Same with a first, which we will be keeping this year.

Quote Originally Posted by pidg88 View Post
    Kronwall, DDK and Marchenko right now. I dont see any reason to trade for a guy like Polak. Marchenko is the equivalent of Polak right now with more upside (bottom pairing physical big shut down D, our guy can just move the puck better).

We have two scouts tonight at the Arizona game. I dont think Michalek is any or much better than Marchenko really, but they may be looking at Yandle or OEL as well.
    I'm not one to doubt a Wings spec (because they hit a ridiculous amout of home runs with them) but wouldn't a guy that blocks a ton of shots, kills penalties, and can take the majority of the defensive zone starts a bit more reliable going into the playoffs than a kid with 9 games under his belt?

He's pretty cheap and would be a good guy to pair with Ouellet next season too. Could be a deadline addition that doesn't cost much (probably a 2nd rounder) and pays big dividends.

Not really. He is slow footed and does not have a good outlet pass. Doesnt fit our system at all. Also, our management has been vocal our top kids in the NHL, top prospects and 1st and second round pick will not be traded unless its for a piece that is long term and fits a need that will get us deep into the playoffs. Marchenko has been playing in a men's league for the past 4 years, I am not worried about him only having 9 games under his belt as a third pairing D. Polak doesnt fit the need to get us deeper into the playoffs. You could probably get a second from someone because he isnt a rental, but I dont think we would bite.

Not really. He is slow footed and does not have a good outlet pass. Doesnt fit our system at all. Also, our management has been vocal our top kids in the NHL, top prospects and 1st and second round pick will not be traded unless its for a piece that is long term and fits a need that will get us deep into the playoffs. Marchenko has been playing in a men's league for the past 4 years, I am not worried about him only having 9 games under his belt as a third pairing D. Polak doesnt fit the need to get us deeper into the playoffs. You could probably get a second from someone because he isnt a rental, but I dont think we would bite.
    For a defensive defensemen he isn't that slow, and he actually jumps in the rush a lot more than we saw in St. Louis. Outlet passes haven't been a problem for him this season but maybe that's just me comparing him to the rest of our awful defense. Idn just thought he would be a Weaver like addition for you guys.

Also I'm curious about the Wings philosophy with not moving their picks this year. They're loaded with good prospects and they usually always end up trading down anyways, so is it because this is a deep draft year or does Holland feel they still lack enough high end talent?
    2015 Re-Draft Dream Team

Hall-Backes-Cammalleri
    Lupul-Bjugstad-Brown
    Rieder-Rakell-Hayes
    Jaskin-Jenner-Stempniak

McDonagh-Doughty
    Orpik-Jones
    Campbell-Gudbranson

Bernier
    Tokarski

Im not knocking Roman really, I like him. But he doesnt play the up-tempo break out style we require from our D, thats all. I think he would be a good addition to most teams, just not us. Its not that we lack a RHD, we lack one that can move the puck on even an above average level. And unless we can get that, we wouldnt make a move.

Wis was scratched from CBJ a game ago, but is expected to be back in their next game. If he is on the market I would be willing to give something up for him. The only problem I have is with the comments he made about us when we went after him in FA.

And as far as the picks go, I wouldnt say this draft is that deep per say. Outside of the top 4-5 its a pretty normal draft year. I think the way we look at it is the past two years the player we pretty much wanted has dropped to us (we wanted Nichushkin the Mantha year), and again this year the player I believe we have in our sights is slipping down the board. Also it doesnt make much sense to give up a first or second for a rental or short term player when we have 2 young D ready for NHL time now that we can barely make room for, and arguably one of the better defenders outside the NHL in Backman and another promising prospects in Jensen and Sproul down in the AHL. Our D is crowded.

I will be really pissed off if Holland sits back and does nothing between now and Monday. Z and Pav are near the end of their primes, and Tatar and Goose are just getting better. They need to win soon. Its such a fantastic opportunity this year for them to win it all. But they won't by being idle Monday. Tampa, Montreal, NY, Pittsburgh, Washington, Anaheim, LA, Nashvillie, St Louis will ALL look to get better. It's not good enough for the Wings to do nothing. They will go from a top 6 team in the NHL to outside the top 10 if they choose to do nothing.

Your last sentence makes no sense. Some of those teams are already better then us, so them acquiring something and us not wouldnt force us out of your top 6? I also dont think Montreal, Tampa or Wash are able to do anything by the deadline unless Wash decides to trade Green. At least not anything major. Most of the trades today dont really even worry me. Pitt got a bottom 6 winger, same with Winnipeg. LA got a good top 4 D but there is a chance they actually miss the playoffs. And dont say thats not true, because you can tell by the construction of the trade even LA thinks there is a chance.

Dats and Z if anything are playing their best this year then the last 3 years. Will they slow down eventually, absolutely, but there is no reason to press the panic button now. LA paid technically 2 first for Sekera and if that is the price for any of the leftover "rentals" I dont want anything to do with any of them. The only way I move a package of that quality is for a long term answer as a top 6 forward (preferably a young center) or top 4 D. The 2 leftover real UFA D are Michalek and Petry and I dont pay anywhere near that for either of those two.

Your last sentence makes no sense. Some of those teams are already better then us, so them acquiring something and us not wouldnt force us out of your top 6?
    It was just an exaggeration to make a point lol

But its an exaggeration that doesnt make or prove a point. There is not a single trade that has happened that has made a team leapfrog us in terms of talent. Again you could argue maybe LA especially if they get back Voynov at some point. But no other teams acquisitions, in my mind, have made the leaps and bounds improvement we usually see this time of year. No Nash, Gaborik etc type trade.

This is unrealistic, but if I could make a non-rental trade without giving up top quality prospects it would be.

Colorado receives: Our 1st+Helm+Kindl+Jensen

Det Receives: O'Reilly+Late round pick

They get our first, an NHL center and D man (where they are the weakest) and a NHL D prospect. We get a young top 6 center that has had his contract disputes with Col. Lets us pair up Z and Dats for the playoffs or O'Reilly can take Helm's spot.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast