Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Better then Rios

Seattle4Ever Guest
    "OMG we're going to sign Melky. This front office is so bad."
    "OMG we didn't sign Melky. This front office is so bad."

Quote Originally Posted by jej View Post
    Does anyone here like Taylor more than Miller? I just don't see any rationale besides batting average and defense, and the former was BABIP inflated.

Miller's second half was almost equal (and in fact a little better) than Seager's 2014 season. Obviously we can't ignore the 1st half, but it is much closer to what people expected, and what he did in his rookie year. I think he can still be a stud?

I ask because of this article, which is really encouraging IMO, expect for the fact that we almost traded Saunders and Miller for Kemp. Puke.

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/marin...ing-shortstop/
    No. Miller has a much higher ceiling. And I think he's definitely going to hit. Taylor could probably be an average SS and hit for a decent empty AVG. Miller just needs to clean up the throwing issues. Honestly I think I could almost live with his defense as is.

Seattle4Ever Guest
    Some mystery team offered Melky four years.

Wouldn't be surprised if we caved and met him at 4/$14AAV and he said **** it and went to Chicago because of our location.

Ian. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Seattle4Ever View Post
    Some mystery team offered Melky four years.

Wouldn't be surprised if we caved and met him at 4/$14AAV and he said **** it and went to Chicago because of our location.
    Think they'd still label us as a "mystery team" though? Maybe it's a mystery that a team offered four years as opposed to a mystery team.

To me, that says someone like Houston offered him four years. But it's probably just nit picking.

Seattle4Ever Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian. View Post
    Think they'd still label us as a "mystery team" though? Maybe it's a mystery that a team offered four years as opposed to a mystery team.

To me, that says someone like Houston offered him four years. But it's probably just nit picking.
    It would be weird for a non-contender to take that kind of risk but here Chicago is doing exactly that.

(Although Chicago did quite a few things this offseason. Looks like they think they can contend for some reason.)

I don't think Chicago can really contend. I mean they can, but they are probably more of a .500 team. And the next year Samardzija is gone, LaRoche is even older and worse. Seems weird for them to try to contend after winning 73 and not having too many Walker/Miller/Paxton type prospects they can fill in the gaps with

Seattle4Ever Guest
    I agree. I'm just saying that's what their moves indicate.

Yeah, they are definitely trying to contend. I think the 2nd WC is probably changing things.

At this point, I'd love to see how Miller looks in a RF platoon. I think his tools translate well. Also, just so they're not without a plan B at SS, make sure he gets a start or two a week there JUST IN CASE.

Seattle4Ever Guest
    No. Keep him at shortstop. Where his value is.

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle4Ever View Post
    No. Keep him at shortstop. Where his value is.
    YES! there is no point to move him. His defense was pretty good last year, just a couple boneheaded moves and thats not a big deal

If Taylor somehow becomes a 95+ wRC+ guy at SS, maybe you make Miller a Zobrist type, provided he can still get 500-600 PA a year. If that's what best for the team, that's fine. But moving him off now and banking on Taylor and his BABIP seems dumb.

Seattle4Ever Guest

M's Offseason Stuff

I agree with your last sentence.

Don't you think if teams could take a player and just "make him a Zobrist type" they would do it? Zobrist' value comes from being able to play defense in multiple spots at an above average to elite level.

Sure that would be nice but Miller can't even handle one position yet. That's jumping the gun.

If Zobrist is on this roster, it's Dustin Ackley. He can play 1B, LF, 2B, and he could probably play CF in a pinch. That's where he was drafted.

Quote Originally Posted by A.Mopp View Post
    YES! there is no point to move him. His defense was pretty good last year, just a couple boneheaded moves and thats not a big deal
    He's got crazy range, but the issues he has on defense may not correct themselves. I understand that moving him is not ideal, however, neither is the current situation in the M's OF. I think he has a better chance of succeeding, long term, in the OF. Trading for Smith and signing Rios for RF would be great and may still happen...or it may not.

im in no hurry to see him moved off of SS just because we have OF issues. He could easily be a 3 WAR SS next season

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast