Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Well he is probably my favorite since Pulu. But let me be a little more clear, he may be my favorite but that doesnt mean he has the highest ceiling (I think that belongs to Mantha or Larkin). He is my favorite by his play. Break out year with Barrie, and had a good point total for his first year pro. What he needs to do this off season is gain weight. He was actually probably ahead of most of our prospects from the physical side until he broke his jaw, and he lost 15-20lbs. This summer he needs to add that and more on (not worried at all about this ill touch on it later). Easily the fastest player in our organization (not just talking AHL, NHL as well) I think he can out skate Helm, Ferraro or really anyone else. His game breaking ability is his speed (watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2AaYPMfuB4), he can play short handed, on the powerplay or a top 6 role. I think if he can build on this year in the AHL next year or two we could be looking at a higher upside 2C than Sheahan. If you watched GR this year, and take out Pulu, he is one of the most electric players in the AHL. His shot is good, not great, his hands are probably above average to great (not elite), speed is elite, size is good. The faults I see, I dont think his hockey IQ is on that elite level, keeping him from having that top line ceiling and maybe keeping him from the top 6. His shot while fairly accurate isnt hard its very average. And lastly he can hold the puck too long and attempt the extra move/pass (a lot like Tatar) and commit a turnover. He is extremely confident (to the point even Holland has pointed out might be too much), and has an attitude a lot like Tatar as well (hot shot but not arrogant).

Best case scenario, high end 2C with elite speed and hands.Worst case bottom six PKer with offensive upside. Most likely your looking at an elite 3C average 2C with PP and PK abilities and the game break ability with his speed and hands. Imagine Helm with hands and a finishing touch, that may be his most likely place he ends up. He also plays a fairly physical game (very hard to tell how well it translates since he had to hold up on hitting after his broken jaw, so I will see if that evolves and translates next year). He also is, from all reports cause I dont get to watch it, extremely dedicated in the gym. So if his progress stays on track, we may have another middle round steal.

Awesome. I saw him a few times playing against the Spits in Windsor and hated when he was on the ice. Glad he's ours and in your good (spec) books.

Pulu followed up his hat trick last game with 2 goals this game...cut him. Thats 11 goals in 6 games.

Your posts are beautiful Pidg, they really are. I appreciate all the info and studying you do for us.

It's funny how Pulu seemed to be under the radar last year while Mantha was the hot thing. All of a sudden he starting tearing it up and now it looks like (heavy emphasis there) he is the better talent. Thought could change next season. I liked a lot of what I saw from him as a Wing last year and I'm very interested to see what he can do with a full year of NHL hockey under his belt.

Trust me, its my pleasure. I recently got to start actually watching games for an NAHL team in my free time, talent level is a lot different from what I watch in the Euro's or AHL, but its my fiances step dad and its fun to actually apply my hobby of already watching a crazy number of hockey games to real life. Win-win.

Pulu excites me, and players like him are part of the reason I wont be so hurt if Babs leaves. Obviously there is a big jump from the AHL to the NHL, but there has not been a goal scorer like Pulu in the AHL since...I cant even remember. Time on the third line next year with a center that can create space for him and a winger to work the boards for him, I think he could be a 20-20 guy next year. But he needs to be let loose and able to make mistakes, its how he got better in the AHL and its how he will learn how to play in the NHL. A coach like Blash who knows how to use him, and who will give him some slack and not make him a fourth line player if he makes a mistake is what he needs. Im not calling for him to get top 6 time, but 12-14 mins a night with heavy PP time and I think he reaches 20 fairly easy. Remember, he is also a very under rated play maker with great puck movement. Watching him in the GR playoffs has been a treat and I recommend you guys catch some games. 5 goals in his last 2 games, thats crazy levels for the A.

Pulkkinen taking the playoffs by storm.

After just 1 year of college hockey at UofM, Larkin has decided to go to the AHL. The Wings signed him to a three year entry level contract and will play for the Griffins Sunday during the Western Conference Finals. Thoughts on him turning pro and leaving college only after 1 year? He is only 18 years old but has shown constant improvement throughout his time since being drafted by the Wings. From everything I am reading about him, he is a complete player. Look forward to watching him grow.

Pidg how long do you think before Dylan Larkin is NHL ready?

A small write up on Larkin. I was not excited with the pick (I think I stated that on these boards) I actually think I also stated I didnt want us to pick him.

Now lets pretend I never said that. His most impressive performance this year was at WJC, where he was US best player and at moments looked like a better prospect than Eichel. He is a complete player, in the exact mold of a Detroit player. I said at the time of the draft I projected an offensive 3C. Right now I project as a very high end 2C. There have been GM's/scouts who have said he could be a "star" to "super-star". I dont think he has a high end enough shot to be a super star. But he works his tail off, high IQ, high skill, 200ft game. He needs to put on weight, and work on some discipline issues, but other than those two things and his shot there isnt much downfall.

How long? I wanted him to stay in College another year and be "the guy" so I could see how he played in that role (same type of role as WJC just over a longer period of time). I heard he will be on a line with AA in the AHL playoffs, which should be super fast and creative and entertaining (I will try to watch but I think I am on a plane then). But back to your question, he could probably play in the NHL next year in a third line winger role and work his way up. I think his best development role is start in the AHL next year, if he tears it up and we need and offensive minded center we give him a shot. Its really hard to say "how long" though since I havent been able to see him in our summer prospect camp, prospect tourny or pre-season. I will have a better idea then.

Also there was an article out today (I cant find an english version) of Hakan talking about our 3 Euro prospects. Melen, new Homer and Ehn. I think the most surprising quote was that he thinks Melen is the real deal and the best out of the 3. He had a major health concern, but after seeing doctors in both continents its believed he will be ready to be pushed again.

You say that if Larkin starts in the AHL and tears it up, you could see him making to the NHL. How do you think the departure of Babcock and the appointment of Blashill to head coach changes the culture of developing players for as long as it takes. That is, if Blashill is the man for the job. Because of his success with the young players, could you see the DRW organization being more keen on bringing them up earlier?

I dont think it will affect it too much, although Babs was famous for always saying the tie goes to the veteran. Now Blashill will coach Larkin for the next couple weeks, and if he leaves enough of an impression and Blash gets the job I see him having an even better shot at making the team. He will need to jump AA in the org depth chart, which he can only do through producing, because I think AA would be a call up if a skill type player goes down.

I think its key to bring up though, while Blash plays the Detroit 200 foot game, he also seems to play a much more up-tempo speed and risk game. I think this will greatly benefit a player like Smith, Tatar, Nyquist and I think it will for sure get Pulk a chance. Blash knows how to use these young guys, which could really benefit them.

So as far as an organizational vision, I dont think it changes our long term approach, but I do think a couple of young players may get a more extended look because of it. I am very excited to see a potentially more risk taking team as well.

For what it's worth Larkin had 2 goals last night for GR. They tied up the conference finals against Utica (1-1).

Yeah they werent the prettiest though. The first was a nice wrister from the slot, the second was a weak wrister from right inside the line that somehow got through. Not that that is bad but I think a lot of our players would have been able to put those two in.

A scorer finds the back of the net. Weak or strong, it does say something about his ability to step into the AHL and find the back of the net not once, but twice. I didn't watch the game and I'm sure Pidg probably did so can you tell me how he looked? I was trying to find how many minutes he played but didn't find anything.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast