Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 581 of 599 FirstFirst ... 81481531571579580581582583591 ... LastLast
Results 8,701 to 8,715 of 8976
    Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post
    Bo Bichette is our everyday SS and he is until he proves otherwise. If bringing in some veteran backup is what you meant, then why the hell did we get rid of Freddy Galvis for nothing?
    as of right now as good of a hitter as bichette is, hes not an everyday shortstop defensively, he may be in time but not yet. for the benefit of the pitchers I think a Shortstop who can consistently make every play is more important

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    They've clearly been in the process.

You're either trying to win or you aren't.
    Signing bounceback guys and spending absolutely no prospect capital to augment the product on the field isn't trying to win now.

You guys said they signed morales instead of encarnacion so they could get gurille right? Also not trying to win now.
    You guys? Itís out there in the media, we didnít start that here. And the two arenít mutually exclusive. You can make moves to win now and in the future.

You keep bringing up the prospects. There was nobody outside of Vlad to move to bring in help. Nobody valued any other prospects here. And Vlad alone wasnít going to get you a stud. Look at the cost of a Chris Sale or whoever. Best prospect in baseball plus more. I honestly donít even know why itís an issue. There was just not enough prospect capital left in the system to make the type of upgrades needed to keep contending.

Team defense is something that definitely needs to improve drastically. Especially in the outfield.
    For sure, but these are the pains of a rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    Who said what now? Gurriel actually signed a week before they signed Morales back in November of 2016. If anything they signed him to help Gurriel along since they would be paying him big league money right away and Morales was a close friend of his family. Signing Morales had no effect on them getting Gurriel though. He was already there before they even offered him a deal.

The only thing bad about the Morales signing was that he under performed and wasn't EE.....whom they tried to get first before moving on when he shot down their best offer..(which turned out to be the best of any of his offers, so if anyone screwed the pooch on that negotiation it was EE. If this was a place he really wanted to stay in, 20 Million per year for 4 years in your 30's as primarily a DH is one heck of a generous offer. Did you know big Papi never made more than 16M in any one season playing baseball? In 2016 he was making 16M. Then that off season the Jays offered EE 25% more than that contract for 4 years! Instead of being greedy, EE should have just smiled and signed on the dotted line so they could move on to the next order of business that year. Instead he decided to "test the market" and grass wasn't greener on the other side.
    I think you need to double check Bart. Morales signed on November 11 and Gurriel on the 12th.

And I just read something that said Atkins even went to EE with 5/100 and made it clear there was a deadline. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by mikepelfrey View Post
    as of right now as good of a hitter as bichette is, hes not an everyday shortstop defensively, he may be in time but not yet. for the benefit of the pitchers I think a Shortstop who can consistently make every play is more important
    Have you seen our lineup? Take his bat out and it's like 2 hitters deep. Who cares about the pitchers. Maybe the pitchers should stop pitching to contact then. We can sign pitchers anyways. We can't find shortstops who can hit and are on rookie deals. He can work on his defense when he plays everyday and the offseason when we don't make the playoffs for a while. In 2 years if it gets worse move him to 2nd. He's not a disaster defensively. He should be given every opportunity to improve, especially when we're not even close to being competitive. He can't improve by bringing in Didi Gregorious LOL.

The Lost Boys of PSD

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    For sure, but these are the pains of a rebuild.
    Preaching to the choir.

Team OBP needs to be improved too. Drastically. I think we're ranked like 14 out of 15 in the AL.

The Lost Boys of PSD

Question

Preaching to the choir.

Team OBP needs to be improved too. Drastically. I think we're ranked like 14 out of 15 in the AL.
    You're wasting your breath. I've been saying this for 3 years. Obp and defense, 2 things very few around here care about

I see what you're saying about Bo. I'm just of the opinion they have no intention of spending on pitching. Hope I'm wrong but if they don't then tightening up the defense has to be a priority. Or these kid pitchers will never stand a chance.

Thornton has really showed some talent but you can see his frustration growing and you're 1000% percent right about pitching to contact but that's Pete Walkers thing I doubt it will change. It was a Mets coaching philosophy and that's where he learned. But even the Mets don't teach that anymore
    Last edited by mikepelfrey; 09-11-2019 at 10:11 AM.

Preaching to the choir.

Absolutely. But that will come. Thereís already some better obp guys in there now as compared to April at least as far as longer term pieces are concerned. But as we all know, you canít jump the gun, you have to let the kids see what they can do and then build around. Thereís a good chance that quite a few of the Ďeverydayí guys that are in there now wonít be there in 2 years.

Absolutely. But that will come. Thereís already some better obp guys in there now as compared to April at least as far as longer term pieces are concerned. But as we all know, you canít jump the gun, you have to let the kids see what they can do and then build around. Thereís a good chance that quite a few of the Ďeverydayí guys that are in there now wonít be there in 2 years.
    no sense in trying to sugar coat it

3rd worst OBP in the league

.300 1st half
    .304 2nd half

Of course its bad..look at the 5 guys this front office has traded for:

Grichuk
    Hernandez
    Fisher
    McKinney
    Drury

Not one of them has an OBP over .292. If they are going to stick with Grichuk, the rest of them (and whatever formula they are using to evaluate hitters they want to target) have to go. They really need to start bringing in guys who can actually make consistent contact and get on base....at an elite level.

Throw in Tellez and Jansen (who still have a chance at improving) on top of all those guys and you've got at least 7 guys playing pretty regularly who shouldn't ever see an AB on a contending team with the way they have performed. Not to mention the guys like Alford, Davis and Urena who have been called up for a September look. All those guys are doing is ensure Bo and Vlad get less AB's this year.

Quote Originally Posted by hanton View Post
    no sense in trying to sugar coat it

3rd worst OBP in the league

.300 1st half
    .304 2nd half
    Whatís he trying to sugar coat? It should be pretty common knowledge that a trio of Bo, Vladdy Jr and Biggio will do a lot more to boost the teams OBP in the long term than the likes of Galvis, Drury and Sogard. Granted Sogard was actually playing well.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Whatís he trying to sugar coat? It should be pretty common knowledge that a trio of Bo, Vladdy Jr and Biggio will do a lot more to boost the teams OBP in the long term than the likes of Galvis, Drury and Sogard. Granted Sogard was actually playing well.
    "But that will come"

It won't.

"But that will come"

It won't.
    What makes you say that?

Also you donít think Vladdy, Bo, Biggio and Gurriel wonít get any better? The decline has already begun for them?

"But that will come"

It won't.
    Youíre right. We know that obp needs to improve but somehow all the people in the front office donít. Cmon. Give your head a shake. You donít just instantly add elite obp guys in the first year of your rebuild, especially when youíre trying to see what the kids can and canít do. They need to find that out and then add to it. It doesnít make the front office look bad by you bringing this up. It makes you look like you donít understand how rebuilds go.

Youíre right. We know that obp needs to improve but somehow all the people in the front office donít. Cmon. Give your head a shake. You donít just instantly add elite obp guys in the first year of your rebuild, especially when youíre trying to see what the kids can and canít do. They need to find that out and then add to it. It doesnít make the front office look bad by you bringing this up. It makes you look like you donít understand how rebuilds go.
    I'm sure he has good reasons. I'm very curious to hear them.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.