Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 5 of 470 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 7043
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Waterloo/St. Catharines
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceUpperCut View Post
    I still think Kendrick makes a lot of sense, one year deal gives Travis more time and could fetch us a draft pick the year after.

    Happ plus one or two specs only issue is he's a righty when we do desperately need a lefty bat or two
    I agree that Kendrick would be a great fit here. His no trade clause presents a problem but maybe he's more willing to waive it now that we have Martin and Donaldson.
    I remember reading that the Angels would only move Kendrick if it made them a better team next year and Happ and a prospect doesn't accomplish that. I think it would require Hutch, Buehrle or Dickey to get him.
    To me, Buehrle straight up makes the most sense if we eat the difference in their salaries. They both have one year left on their deals and are very reliable.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    11,321
    Quote Originally Posted by RFrick6 View Post
    I agree that Kendrick would be a great fit here. His no trade clause presents a problem but maybe he's more willing to waive it now that we have Martin and Donaldson.
    I remember reading that the Angels would only move Kendrick if it made them a better team next year and Happ and a prospect doesn't accomplish that. I think it would require Hutch, Buehrle or Dickey to get him.
    To me, Buehrle straight up makes the most sense if we eat the difference in their salaries. They both have one year left on their deals and are very reliable.
    That sounds good to me, just don't think we should pay the whole difference but considering we would be getting a pick once he left or we resign him it's probably fair.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    27,166
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    Really? I feel like it's hard to trust Hutch, Stroman and Happ. And not sure where the Jays rank in SP but I feel like we see WAY too many inconsistency in starters over the years.
    Why was it hard to trust Stroman? He was one of the best starters in the majors since he became a starter. Hutch was very hit or miss, but overall was a solid starter. Happ did a good job for what he was supposed to do.

    The Jays do have a lot of quality SP and quality SP depth so I don't see it as big an issue as you do. The bullpen is the priority right now.

    Quote Originally Posted by JaysLeafs98 View Post
    Imagine AA getting Dozier and Donaldson without giving away any of Norris, Sanchez, Stroman, Hutch, Pompey? I would go buy season tickets tomorrow lol I agree though the asking price would probably be too high for us.
    That would be pretty damn impressive.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    54,972
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
    Why was it hard to trust Stroman? He was one of the best starters in the majors since he became a starter. Hutch was very hit or miss, but overall was a solid starter. Happ did a good job for what he was supposed to do.

    The Jays do have a lot of quality SP and quality SP depth so I don't see it as big an issue as you do. The bullpen is the priority right now.
    Happ and Hutch were too inconsistent for me. Stroman was great, though I suppose I'm more concerned about if he can go a full season or not.

    With the terrible pitchers we've had over the years, I suppose it's just hard to trust anyone on that pitching staff. I guess just looking at the rotation, I want to slide everyone down.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Abbotsford B.C.
    Posts
    1,046
    Quote Originally Posted by RFrick6 View Post
    I agree that Kendrick would be a great fit here. His no trade clause presents a problem but maybe he's more willing to waive it now that we have Martin and Donaldson.
    I remember reading that the Angels would only move Kendrick if it made them a better team next year and Happ and a prospect doesn't accomplish that. I think it would require Hutch, Buehrle or Dickey to get him.
    To me, Buehrle straight up makes the most sense if we eat the difference in their salaries. They both have one year left on their deals and are very reliable.
    Want no part in trading Buehrle even if we land Lester let alone without. Dickey is the one I'd trade if we landed an Ace. Buehrle is just to damn consistent and a great guy to have to mentor the youngsters.

    Love Kendrick but we need lefties in a bad way were stacked in righties already.
    Vancouver Canucks
    Toronto Blue Jays
    San Francisco 49's

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
    Jays don't need a SP, and McLouth isn't a guy you want to add. Clippard would be worth a lot so I don't even know what the Nats would want.
    Sorry...I thought you said the Jays don't need a SP...wait...that's what you said

    How is it you think the Jays don't need a SP...and I hope your reasoning isn't based on Martin magically making the staff into Cy Young candidates. We have Hutch coming off a decent TJ season...Stroman coming off a strong rookie season...Sanchez likely to pitch out of the pen to star the year...Dickey, MB and Happ all decent...but that's it...decent.

    This team needs a bonafide ace in the biggest way. They have no one you can count on to give you 7 good innings every outing...to be that losing streak buster. They need to shell out the $$$ for Lester...or sign Shields & Lariano...then do whatever they can to trade Dickey & Thole. I'd rather have MB's innings and pedigree that RD's gimmick pitch...especially if pitching in Oct.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    7,278
    Quote Originally Posted by passengershawn View Post
    Sorry...I thought you said the Jays don't need a SP...wait...that's what you said

    How is it you think the Jays don't need a SP...and I hope your reasoning isn't based on Martin magically making the staff into Cy Young candidates. We have Hutch coming off a decent TJ season...Stroman coming off a strong rookie season...Sanchez likely to pitch out of the pen to star the year...Dickey, MB and Happ all decent...but that's it...decent.

    This team needs a bonafide ace in the biggest way. They have no one you can count on to give you 7 good innings every outing...to be that losing streak buster. They need to shell out the $$$ for Lester...or sign Shields & Lariano...then do whatever they can to trade Dickey & Thole. I'd rather have MB's innings and pedigree that RD's gimmick pitch...especially if pitching in Oct.
    I agree. This team will go nowhere without an ace.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    West Side
    Posts
    11,540
    Anyone think Seth Smith is possible for a left handed DH? .367 OBP, .440 SLG and a .807 OPS.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,805
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxeryll View Post
    I agree. This team will go nowhere without an ace.
    It went nowhere with one.

    Doc says hi.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    28,238
    Quote Originally Posted by statquo:29318558
    Anyone think Seth Smith is possible for a left handed DH? .367 OBP, .440 SLG and a .807 OPS.
    He signed an extension. I doubt he gets dealt. I like the player though.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    27,166
    Quote Originally Posted by passengershawn View Post
    Sorry...I thought you said the Jays don't need a SP...wait...that's what you said

    How is it you think the Jays don't need a SP...and I hope your reasoning isn't based on Martin magically making the staff into Cy Young candidates. We have Hutch coming off a decent TJ season...Stroman coming off a strong rookie season...Sanchez likely to pitch out of the pen to star the year...Dickey, MB and Happ all decent...but that's it...decent.
    It's an average rotation, I'm not saying it's elite. But you don't need an elite pitching staff to win, and even an elite pitching staff doesn't guarantee anything (looking at you, Detroit Tigers). Heck, the WS winners had a rotation that when you adjust for league & park factors, was worse than Toronto's rotation. If you like FIP as your metric of choice, the Jays ranked 5th in the AL by FIP-.

    There isn't an ace, but there are 3 above average guys in Stroman, MB and Dickey. If there was money to spend on a Lester or Scherzer, and more leftover to fix LF/2B/RP then sure, I'd be all for it. But with a limited budget, the Jays need to improve their biggest weaknesses - which right now is not SP. The Jays have a bunch of quality arms and quality depth in the rotation, and nobody for 2B/LF/RP. Those needs have to be addressed before SP, which isn't the liability that we all thought it was.

    More important, the Jays got 14 starts from replacement level arms in McGowan/Morrow. Those are now being given to Stroman, which is a significant improvement. MB/Dickey/Stroman are 3 above average arms, and there are 2 average arms in Hutch/Happ. That's a very good base for your rotation, with quality depth guys in Sanchez/Norris. It's not a liability going forward, which is a nice thing if the defence is above average, depending on who starts at 2B and LF.

    This team needs a bonafide ace in the biggest way. They have no one you can count on to give you 7 good innings every outing...to be that losing streak buster.
    Very few pitchers go 7 innings an outing. The Jays, however, do feature a streak buster in Stroman. Once again, using FIP-, which adjusts for park & league factors, Stroman ranked 12th in the majors among P with 130 innings or more. There's your streak buster right there, and unless he takes a major step back, your legitimate, #1 starter. He's not going to lead the Jays in IP, but he will give them as close to #1 production as you're going to get from any pitcher not named Kershaw, Hernandez or Kluber.

    They need to shell out the $$$ for Lester...or sign Shields & Lariano...then do whatever they can to trade Dickey & Thole. I'd rather have MB's innings and pedigree that RD's gimmick pitch...especially if pitching in Oct.
    That one trick pony has averaged 2.5-3 WAR the past 2 years. I wouldn't be in a rush to move him.

  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
    It's an average rotation, I'm not saying it's elite. But you don't need an elite pitching staff to win, and even an elite pitching staff doesn't guarantee anything (looking at you, Detroit Tigers). Heck, the WS winners had a rotation that when you adjust for league & park factors, was worse than Toronto's rotation. If you like FIP as your metric of choice, the Jays ranked 5th in the AL by FIP-.

    There isn't an ace, but there are 3 above average guys in Stroman, MB and Dickey. If there was money to spend on a Lester or Scherzer, and more leftover to fix LF/2B/RP then sure, I'd be all for it. But with a limited budget, the Jays need to improve their biggest weaknesses - which right now is not SP. The Jays have a bunch of quality arms and quality depth in the rotation, and nobody for 2B/LF/RP. Those needs have to be addressed before SP, which isn't the liability that we all thought it was.

    More important, the Jays got 14 starts from replacement level arms in McGowan/Morrow. Those are now being given to Stroman, which is a significant improvement. MB/Dickey/Stroman are 3 above average arms, and there are 2 average arms in Hutch/Happ. That's a very good base for your rotation, with quality depth guys in Sanchez/Norris. It's not a liability going forward, which is a nice thing if the defence is above average, depending on who starts at 2B and LF.

    Very few pitchers go 7 innings an outing. The Jays, however, do feature a streak buster in Stroman. Once again, using FIP-, which adjusts for park & league factors, Stroman ranked 12th in the majors among P with 130 innings or more. There's your streak buster right there, and unless he takes a major step back, your legitimate, #1 starter. He's not going to lead the Jays in IP, but he will give them as close to #1 production as you're going to get from any pitcher not named Kershaw, Hernandez or Kluber.

    That one trick pony has averaged 2.5-3 WAR the past 2 years. I wouldn't be in a rush to move him.
    I appreciate the time you took to look into those stats, and the knowledge you you display here...I don't dispute that. But if you look at the past 20-25 WS winners, maybe the '05 White Sox are the only team without a bonafide ace. EVERY team on that list had a true game changer...even if a few guys didn't have stellar regular season ERA's, they still ate major innings, and you knew every time out there you were getting a quality start. And they were lights out in the post-season.

    Stroman COULD be that guy...maybe Sanchez and Norris...but not yet likely. There's just no track record right now. SO if AA is throwing in all the chips now for 2015/16...let's not rely on potential and guys like RA, MB, a second year Stroman, Hutch, Happ, etc... Those guys do nothing to ease anyone's nerves.

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
    Very few pitchers go 7 innings an outing. The Jays, however, do feature a streak buster in Stroman. Once again, using FIP-, which adjusts for park & league factors, Stroman ranked 12th in the majors among P with 130 innings or more. There's your streak buster right there, and unless he takes a major step back, your legitimate, #1 starter. He's not going to lead the Jays in IP, but he will give them as close to #1 production as you're going to get from any pitcher not named Kershaw, Hernandez or Kluber.
    Did you just put Stroman in the same category as Kershaw, Hernandez & Kluber? I like your enthusiasm...but really??

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    27,166
    Quote Originally Posted by passengershawn View Post
    Did you just put Stroman in the same category as Kershaw, Hernandez & Kluber? I like your enthusiasm...but really??
    You didn't read what I said properly - I said he'll give you the best production you can expect from pitchers not named Kershaw, Hernandez or Kluber.
    Last edited by Twitchy; 11-29-2014 at 11:38 PM.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    West Side
    Posts
    11,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Mell413 View Post
    He signed an extension. I doubt he gets dealt. I like the player though.
    Oh I wasn't aware he signed an extension. Hmm... I wonder who else is out there for left handed bats.

Page 5 of 470 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •