Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 589 of 599 FirstFirst ... 89489539579587588589590591 ... LastLast
Results 8,821 to 8,835 of 8975
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Why is it a big risk?
    Injury risk. I would not limit his use down the stretch - prove his elbow is fully healthy - then Atkins should flip him in the off season for a top outfield spec. Latest at the TDL

I definitely have faith. Heís been in the league for 6 years and 4 of those years (this one included) have been lights out. Heís been excellent more times than he hasnít.
    I donít think itís worth the 66% chance he has a good year when we donít need it. Are you expecting the FO to give him a 15m contract at 31 years old if he does have a pointless good year again next season?

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    I donít think itís worth the 66% chance he has a good year when we donít need it. Are you expecting the FO to give him a 15m contract at 31 years old if he does have a pointless good year again next season?
    No, I'd expect him to be extended for 2 or 3 years. I'm not worried if he's lights out again next year when it doesn't matter. I'd like to have him as the closer when we're ready to compete though.
    Facts can be hypothetical.

No, I'd expect him to be extended for 2 or 3 years. I'm not worried if he's lights out again next year when it doesn't matter. I'd like to have him as the closer when we're ready to compete though.
    So you expect him to be a top closer for the next 4 seasons? The probability of that happening is like less than 10%.

I think itís illogical to keep him.

So you expect him to be a top closer for the next 4 seasons? The probability of that happening is like less than 10%.

Completely illogical to hang on to him especially considering his contribution is what ...about 40-50 outings a year - compared to an everyday starting outfielder contributing for 140+ games. I'd rather have the starting position player and on a rebuilding team it's a no brainier.

Yea, trade Giles when his value is highest. Relief pitchers rarely project well over a large sample size. If he were health at the trade deadline, he wouldn't even be a Jay now.

Have to agree. Relievers are too volatile. You trade Giles immediately for the best return possible. You don't want to extend him and/or see him fall apart next year and then have everyone **** on Ross for wasting another good asset that could be flipped for good future assets.

The Lost Boys of PSD

Agree 100%, not sure how people on this site think it's so easy to find an elite closer. Throw away the one you have for........................? If some of you think he's a risk, why would another GM give up much if they think they way the naysayers do, or do some of the people on this site consider themselves far more knoledgable than most of the GM's in the game.

The assett you might get for Giles could get injured or underperform, oh wait, that would be on Atkins too for trading for the wrong player(s).

We extend Giles for two, three, four years you know what you have.

Pirates are tanking hard...if the Jays aren't careful, they'll fall out of that fifth draft spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasky05 View Post

We extend Giles for two, three, four years you know what you have.
    No you donít. Thatís the whole thing.

Maybe not all 4 but I'd say that 2/4 years is a safe bet with a possible 3. I understand closers are volatile but closers like Giles aren't exactly a dime a dozen. I'd rather hold onto him as opposed to paying top prospect capital for an elite closer when the time comes.

No you donít. Thatís the whole thing.
    Would you be wanting to trade Osuna if he were still a Jay?

Here's what I think has to happen. Considering next year we'll have Pearson, Borucki, Kay, Zeuch, Waguespack and Thornton all competing to be in the rotation along with guys like Murphy and Diaz probably getting a shot we need to deal some of these guys for some MLB talent. Kay, Thornton and Zeuch are the guys who will probably garner the most value who are not named Pearson. I think Thornton has something and out o the 3 names I listed he's the one I'd least like to trade.

If Zeuch or Kay can get packaged with a guy like Alford, Teoscar or Jansen then we could probably get a decent #3 type starter from a rebuilding team.

Here's what I think has to happen. Considering next year we'll have Pearson, Borucki, Kay, Zeuch, Waguespack and Thornton all competing to be in the rotation along with guys like Murphy and Diaz probably getting a shot we need to deal some of these guys for some MLB talent. Kay, Thornton and Zeuch are the guys who will probably garner the most value who are not named Pearson. I think Thornton has something and out o the 3 names I listed he's the one I'd least like to trade.

If Zeuch or Kay can get packaged with a guy like Alford, Teoscar or Jansen then we could probably get a decent #3 type starter from a rebuilding team.
    I'm fine dealing Alford or Teoscar, but adding Jansen to either of those two pitchers to get a #3 pitcher would be a mistake in my opinion. Just let them develop and keep your catcher IMO. Why the urge to trade our young players?

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    I'm fine dealing Alford or Teoscar, but adding Jansen to either of those two pitchers to get a #3 pitcher would be a mistake in my opinion. Just let them develop and keep your catcher IMO. Why the urge to trade our young players?
    There wonít be spots for everyone. The FO will have to decide who sticks and who goes. Iíve said before that I donít think Jansen will be in the league in 5 years so I think itís best to deal him while he still has value. We have Jansen/McGuire at the MLB level with Kirk/Moreno climbing through the rankings. Both Kirk and Moreno are garnering more hype than Jansen ever did. I think if we hold onto Jansen for another full year then his value will plummet much like Alfordís has.