Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 484 of 484 FirstFirst ... 384434474482483484
Results 7,246 to 7,260 of 7260
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Tulo was great but he's not anymore. What he did for the Rockies shouldn't warrant an automatic starting job with us when we're transitioning during a rebuild with a bunch of MI guys. Tulo has been a shadow of himself with the bat since arriving here and that's being generous. Outside of a couple hot stretches during the regular season and 1 series per post season he's been hot garbage with the bat.

His defence was starting to deteriorate as well in 2017 and that's really all he has left. 24 HRs is a solid but would you be willing to bet that he plays in 130 games next season? Hell, I'd even go down to 100.

If Tulo comes into ST healthy then by all means throw him out there but if he's sandbagging it then by no means should his job be secure. Gurriel and Diaz will need places to play once Vladdy Jr occupies 3B. I know SS at the moment is being viewed as a stop gap until Bichette arrives so playing Tulo might not be a big deal to some. Nothing is set in stone with Bichette though. For all we know he could flop. Taking that into consideration we have 2 young guys on the roster who could play SS in Gurriel and Diaz so we should be giving them as many reps as possible. Maybe Diaz could find his form again or maybe Gurriel breaks out? Regardless, they're both on the right side of 30 and could actually be useful to our team through the rebuilding process. Tulo is 34 and will be of no use to us once we rebuild. I'm all for giving him a shot if he's healthy and if he does show he can hit I'd be trying to trade him as fast as humanly possible.

I should also say I'm a gigantic Tulo fan and was absolutely ecstatic when we got him. I have lost faith though.
    I'm no fool...I would never take an over bet on an over/under on games played by Tulo. Especially when I haven't seen him in over a year. That part hasn't changed since the day we signed him though. His injuries are nothing new. You just hope each season that he is healthy down the stretch to have him play well in the playoffs.

I would also agree his D went down a bit in 2017...but who's wouldn't if they were playing on not one, but 2 bad feet? There is good reason to believe it could go back up to what we saw in 2016.

He doesn't need to be the early 20's Tulo to be solid. He was worth 3.4 WAR and still drove in 79 runs in 2016 over 130 games with an OPS of .761. Early 30's Tulo can still be pretty close to an all-star level player IF he can stay in the lineup. I know that's a huge if, but we're still talking a solid defensive SS with 25-30 HR power who knows how to hit with RISP. The reward is worth the risk. (Which is actually pretty minimal since they already admitted to not caring if they win in 2019).

Building up Tulo's trade value to get rid of that long term contract is worth more than innings for one of the kids at SS next year(imo). The next true long term potential piece at SS is Bichette, and he is going to be starting the season in Buffalo. I'd rather have Gurriel using those innings mastering another position.... RF/LF.

Think Shapiro will ever realize that BP success = post season success? I really hope we have new.managment by the time we are a winning team (or definitely if we aren't a winning team in 3 seasons).

Jon Gray plz

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Think Shapiro will ever realize that BP success = post season success? I really hope we have new.managment by the time we are a winning team (or definitely if we aren't a winning team in 3 seasons).
    If the last few seasons have taught us anything itís that relievers are ridiculously volatile. Thereís no use in dishing out big money over multiple years to most relievers because they can just fall off a cliff. Look at Brett Cecil. ERA north of 6 and the Cards still have 2 more years worth 7 or 8 mil a season.

You obviously have to take a shot and sign some relievers long term but I think that should be when youíre team is ready to break out. What Shapkins did in 2016 was perfect IMO. We had an aging core so they went out and got a few reclamation projects which both ended up working out great (Grilli and Benoit). I remember being upset that we werenít signing any big name relievers to bigger deals but in hindsight it was the right move. If our new core is ready to compete in 2020 then by all means, take a shot on a couple of relievers.

If the last few seasons have taught us anything itís that relievers are ridiculously volatile. Thereís no use in dishing out big money over multiple years to most relievers because they can just fall off a cliff. Look at Brett Cecil. ERA north of 6 and the Cards still have 2 more years worth 7 or 8 mil a season.

You obviously have to take a shot and sign some relievers long term but I think that should be when youíre team is ready to break out. What Shapkins did in 2016 was perfect IMO. We had an aging core so they went out and got a few reclamation projects which both ended up working out great (Grilli and Benoit). I remember being upset that we werenít signing any big name relievers to bigger deals but in hindsight it was the right move. If our new core is ready to compete in 2020 then by all means, take a shot on a couple of relievers.
    I agree. When the time is right you get those pieces. Not worth worrying about yet. The pen that gets put together here should be all guys that will be traded away if they can perform well, we shouldn't be tying ourselves to any long term pen pieces at this point.

Yeah my post is about when we are competing. I have a feeling Shapiro would still try to piece together a cheap pen, but the last several world series have been won on the strength of the BP.

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Yeah my post is about when we are competing. I have a feeling Shapiro would still try to piece together a cheap pen, but the last several world series have been won on the strength of the BP.
    The Astros BP didnít do much last post season and was comprised of names like Liriano, Wil Harris, Lou Gregerson, Ken Giles. No long term commitment to big name relievers in that pen. Meanwhile you have teams like the Yanks who spend top dollar on relievers and deal for big name relievers as well.

This brings me back to my point about relievers being volatile. The Astros best relievers this post season are McCugh and Sipp. IIRC Sipp wasnít even on the Astros WS roster last year. Committing to relievers isnít the best decision because they really are proving to be a roll of the dice.

If you aren't going to buy relievers then you need to have high ceiling pitching depth that you can throw in there. Put the stuff in there and see who puts it all together.

Side note - I think we should make a play for Machado in FA. Won't cost a pick and his stock has dropped because of hustle. He's only 26 so I would be willing to match term even if it's a 10 year contract and give him anything under 30 mil. Maybe backload the deal a bit to increase when tulo and Martin are off the books.
    Offer him SS for now if he wants it.

As great of a player as Machado is he seems like heíd be a headache. Personally Iím really turned off by his lack of hustle in the NLCS along with his ridiculous foot kick. Heís going to be getting a BIG chunk of money over a long period of time.

As great of a player as Machado is he seems like heíd be a headache. Personally Iím really turned off by his lack of hustle in the NLCS along with his ridiculous foot kick. Heís going to be getting a BIG chunk of money over a long period of time.
    I do agree and he's one of my favorites. But he says he's not Johnny Hustle and he doesn't run out ground balls, and then you see him hustling for many other plays, it's a different case study that's for sure.

ANd a guy like that will be huge problems half way through that contract... you never know if he may mail it in once he gets the big money deal.

He has amazing talent but his lack of care sometimes could bite any team that signs him

Quote Originally Posted by Sanyo View Post
    ANd a guy like that will be huge problems half way through that contract... you never know if he may mail it in once he gets the big money deal.

He has amazing talent but his lack of care sometimes could bite any team that signs him
    All reasons I think he'll be affordable. I'd sign a 26 year old superstar for 8-10 years for anything under ,30m annually.

Do you guys really think he will sign for anything less then 35 per though? If we could get him Vlad, Gurriel and Tellez hitting in the same line up with Smoak, Urena and Grichuk we'd have the makings of a decent line up.
    Vancouver Canucks
    Toronto Blue Jays
    San Francisco 49's

Quote Originally Posted by armchairgm View Post
    Do you guys really think he will sign for anything less then 35 per though? If we could get him Vlad, Gurriel and Tellez hitting in the same line up with Smoak, Urena and Grichuk we'd have the makings of a decent line up.
    I donít think itís possible but then you add a couple of pitchers a la the Gerrit Cole deal and youíre on your way. Not really possible but a guy can dream.

I think he lands in the 28m range. The worry is the term.