Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 528 of 528 FirstFirst ... 28428478518526527528
Results 7,906 to 7,917 of 7917
    I like the idea of trading with Houston. They want to win now and need a starter to replace the loss of Charlie Morton (who is 11-3 for the Rays over 21 starts with an ERA of 2.61 over 125 innings.... and happens to be the guy I said I would make my #1 target when last off season began..) If they will trade Alvarez or Tucker I would call that an outstanding trade. The Jays likely asked for one of those guys if Houston needed more than 1.5 years of control to make the deal. If I am Atkins I am going after both of those bats. That would be two more HUGE pieces for this core long term to go with Vladdy, Bichette, Gurriel, Biggio and Jansen. They would be able to afford anyone on the free agent market with that many rookie scale contracts on the roster....and a whole bunch of prospect capital to trade with.

Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    I like the idea of trading with Houston. They want to win now and need a starter to replace the loss of Charlie Morton (who is 11-3 for the Rays over 21 starts with an ERA of 2.61 over 125 innings.... and happens to be the guy I said I would make my #1 target when last off season began..) If they will trade Alvarez or Tucker I would call that an outstanding trade. The Jays likely asked for one of those guys if Houston needed more than 1.5 years of control to make the deal. If I am Atkins I am going after both of those bats. That would be two more HUGE pieces for this core long term to go with Vladdy, Bichette, Gurriel, Biggio and Jansen. They would be able to afford anyone on the free agent market with that many rookie scale contracts on the roster....and a whole bunch of prospect capital to trade with.
    except does anyone really think he has it in him to pull that off? I hope he proves me wrong but history tells us otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hanton View Post
    except does anyone really think he has it in him to pull that off? I hope he proves me wrong but history tells us otherwise.
    thats the thing though, if Justice is to be believed and I see no reason not to, then that boat has likely sailed. I mean why would Stroman have even had input unless Houston was exploring a deal and the Jays allowed them to feel Marcus out?

obviously, a potential extension was key for Houston or why bother? If Marcus said Im not interested in in extending with you, then why would Houston go any further wouldnt it make sense to target someone else who actually would consider signing there?

Syndergaard is from Texas is he not? Mike Minor is in Arlington already. to me it makes little sense to keep beating on a dead horse when a guys already told you im not interested

According to Morosi

"#Yankees have a significant scouting presence at Marcus Stromanís start tonight in Detroit. "

According to Morosi

"#Yankees have a significant scouting presence at Marcus Stromanís start tonight in Detroit. "
    Actually they were one of 8 teams there, and they could be looking at Shane Greene too. morosi actually covers the tigers so they could be looking at either.
    Last edited by mikepelfrey; Today at 02:08 AM.

He likely talked to the scouts to see who they were there for.

Morosi thought it was important enough that he added "significant"

Personally I want Alvarez or Tucker, Alvarez is proving to be a stud, Tucker is destroying AAA pitching but there's a bit of risk as he did struggle last season when called up, very young though. We're not going to get Alvarez but start there and settle on Tucker. Astros are in win now mode and are desperate for a starter so they might overpay.

Option #2 Frazier + Garcia. Yankees are also desperate, they have enough to win the East but not enough pitching for a serious play-off run. Stroman is the answer and Cashman might overpay to get him.

Twins could jump in here as well, they are in need of pitching, Stroman/Giles with Kirilloff, Graterol...being in the mix.

Some of the above will be a real possibility if the Giants decide to hang on to Bumgarner and instead take a run at the wc. I'm pulling for them. lol

Tigers may jump in here as well with Boyd on the block and he has 1 extra year of control.

I want both Alvarez and Tucker, lol. However, I fear we will get Whitley and White.

Morosi thought it was important enough that he added "significant"

Personally I want Alvarez or Tucker, Alvarez is proving to be a stud, Tucker is destroying AAA pitching but there's a bit of risk as he did struggle last season when called up, very young though. We're not going to get Alvarez but start there and settle on Tucker. Astros are in win now mode and are desperate for a starter so they might overpay.

Option #2 Frazier + Garcia. Yankees are also desperate, they have enough to win the East but not enough pitching for a serious play-off run. Stroman is the answer and Cashman might overpay to get him.

Twins could jump in here as well, they are in need of pitching, Stroman/Giles with Kirilloff, Graterol...being in the mix.

Some of the above will be a real possibility if the Giants decide to hang on to Bumgarner and instead take a run at the wc. I'm pulling for them. lol

Tigers may jump in here as well with Boyd on the block and he has 1 extra year of control.
    If I'm the Yankees I don't trade Garcia, in my viewings of him he's already better than Stroman and Frazier immediately becomes the jays best player because despite his poor fielding he's already a 30/90/.285 player. If you extrapolate to 600 at bats. Think about that, 11 home runs and 34 RBI in fewer than 200 at bats. I don't see them being desperate at all with the best record in the league... especially after beating up on the Astros Twins Tampa and Boston. They actually have a better record against those 4 teams at 23-11 than they do against the rest of baseball 40-22. Those 4 teams against everyone else is 219-140 a ..610 pace yet the Yankees despite all the injuries have a .676 pace against them.

To me that doesn't equate to desparate. From their vantage point I'm sure they would LIKE to have Stroman, but in no way would I give up that for him, especially since he's been rocked by both Tampa and Minnesota in both games he's faced them. Remember, they are looking to the post season and Stroman and his 4.40 era in the post season doesn't help them there...... If I'm Shapiro and I can get Frazier alone I take it and run laughing all the way to the bank.

If I'm the Yankees the only guys I consider are Degrom. Syndergaard, and Bauer. And The Mets have a fear of trading with them. So that leaves Bauer. The smart money says the playoffs are a crapshoot anyway. So Stroman or not there's no guarantee . Why pay those prices for something that really doesn't help you get where you want to go? Which is a pitcher who can face up to a Verlander and go toe toe toe in a game 7, and as much as we value Marcus, he is not that kind of pitcher.
    Last edited by mikepelfrey; Today at 07:19 PM.

White is meh. if I can get Whitley alone. I take it he's had a poor year for him but he has elite stuff and like Glasnow he should get better.

Stroman doesn't have his upside. He's good no question but he's not a 1 or 2. Whitley can be. Stroman has always been seen as an overachiever in scouting circles. Which is great for him. Because he succeeded. But that doesn't mean he's an Ace.

Deivi Garcia is a Stroman type but with better stuff. But even Garcia is seen as a 3 or 4. Whitley if he develops is a potential 1 or 2. So if you can get him you take him easily.
    Last edited by mikepelfrey; Today at 01:58 PM.

Why can't Stroman be a 1 or a 2? Dude has one of the best ERA's in the AL. ( ...for the second time in the last 3 years). He also loves pitching in big games and has playoff experience as well as team USA experience. I think there are many teams where Stroman would be a top 2 starter. The problem is Houston isn't one of them with Cole and Verlander. So it will be tough to get them to move major pieces like Alvarez or Tucker. There biggest plus for Stroman is his control next year when most of their staff hits free agency. They only need a solid 3rd starter this year, but next year could be a much different story.

On top of his ability to make adjustments there's the intangibles like his compete level, the mind games and the body language all tools that add to his impressive stuff. He's a 1/2 on most teams