Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 705 of 723 FirstFirst ... 205605655695703704705706707715 ... LastLast
Results 10,561 to 10,575 of 10832
    Big article on Semien in fangraphs.

This past offseason, the Toronto Blue Jays spent a ton of money to upgrade their lineup, bringing in George Springer and Marcus Semien for a combined total of $168 million. Of course, $150 million of that total is owed to Springer over the next six seasons; Semien signed a one-year deal after finding the market for his services to be rather slow and cold. Two months into the season, itís been Semien who has been the more valuable acquisition for the Jays, however. Springer has been sidelined for all but four games with a nagging quad issue that has yet to be resolved. Meanwhile, Semien leads all qualified second basemen with 2.6 WAR, a mark that places him seventh overall among all qualified batters.

For Semien, his success this year has been a huge payoff on the risk he took by signing that one-year offer. After a breakout 2019, he struggled to maintain that new level of production the year after. With real questions about his true talent level at the plate lingering over him, he decided to take a one-year offer to rebuild his value in 2021.

As Mike Petriello recently notes, the offensive downturn Semien suffered through in 2020 may be a bit misleading. Through the first 14 games of the 2020 season, he posted a 45 wRC+, but because of the truncated season, those 14 games represented around a quarter of the total games played last year, giving them an outsized effect on his overall line.
    Lots of more: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/marcus-s...-has-paid-off/

The Lost Boys of PSD

Quote Originally Posted by Raps18-19 Champ View Post
    Scherzer is probably costing us a top 100 like Grosh or something.
    of course. It's scherzer

Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post
    Big article on Semien in fangraphs.

Lots of more: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/marcus-s...-has-paid-off/
    He was an excellent signing. I'm still absolutely shocked there were those here that didn't like it...

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    Possibly. I did like what Masai said about playing percentages. If you think you have a certain % chance to win, then you push your chips in. I'm not saying to empty the farm, but the window is open now. Anyone who thinks we aren't contenders isn't paying attention. We are only a couple of bullpen arms away right now. Sucks to think what we could be if Yates was healthy this year.
    I suppose it depends where we are at the deadline. We need a ton of help though. I wouldnt mind trading for him if we got a controllable guy too since we really need a few pitchers IMO.

Yates I was fine with the gamble but management knew he was injured since he failed his physical so thats why we got him at suck a cheap price (probably helped us afford other players in the saved salary).
    Last edited by Raps18-19 Champ; 06-15-2021 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    He was an excellent signing. I'm still absolutely shocked there were those here that didn't like it...
    I was hoping for Wong and Happ but yea hes been killing it.

I was hoping for Wong and Happ but yea hes been killing it.
    Wong was on my desired list too. But I had viewed Semien as a SS. His willingness to take a 1 year deal AND move to 2B was some nice work by the front office to persuade him to come here. It has worked out really well.

Wong was on my desired list too. But I had viewed Semien as a SS. His willingness to take a 1 year deal AND move to 2B was some nice work by the front office to persuade him to come here. It has worked out really well.
    I was never a wong guy. I felt like we needed the best bat we could find. Wong is fine as an OBP guy, but seimen has added so much more.

In my dream world they trade him at the deadline and then sign him again in FA for a longer term.

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    I was never a wong guy. I felt like we needed the best bat we could find. Wong is fine as an OBP guy, but seimen has added so much more.

In my dream world they trade him at the deadline and then sign him again in FA for a longer term.
    I highly doubt he gets traded unless both of these criteria are met: (1) it is clear we are out of the playoff picture and; (2) the organization knows that there won't be a deal to make in the off-season. They have the potential of a compensation pick if he leaves this off-season and they won't jeopardize the chance for this young core to get meaningful games late in the year (playoffs or otherwise).

I wonder if they still sign Semien if we actually signed Brantley.

The Lost Boys of PSD

Probably not. Brantley would've cost as much AAV. We would probably have gotten an IF though at a cheaper price. And maybe trade an OF.

Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post
    I wonder if they still sign Semien if we actually signed Brantley.
    Good question. HIs bat would look good in this lineup instead of Tellez, though that contract length and salary was too rich for my blood.

I highly doubt he gets traded unless both of these criteria are met: (1) it is clear we are out of the playoff picture and; (2) the organization knows that there won't be a deal to make in the off-season. They have the potential of a compensation pick if he leaves this off-season and they won't jeopardize the chance for this young core to get meaningful games late in the year (playoffs or otherwise).
    You never see it, so I wonder if there is a rule against negotiating a contract prior to trading a guy who is expiring. Just letting him know there is money there for him to come back.

I think I would prefer a prospect that is closer to contributing (or being traded) vs a draft pick.

You never see it, so I wonder if there is a rule against negotiating a contract prior to trading a guy who is expiring. Just letting him know there is money there for him to come back.

I think I would prefer a prospect that is closer to contributing (or being traded) vs a draft pick.
    I mean, I really don't know how often there is a "wink wink, nudge nudge" type of situation like that. The Aroldis Chapman situation comes to mind. Yankees dealt him and got Gleyber Torress. Chapman went on to win with the Cubs then resigned with the Yankees the following year.

I think it will always come down to money. Same thing with Lester a while back. Red Sox traded him and he said he would be willing to come back. But Cubs paid a ton.

I think it will always come down to money. Same thing with Lester a while back. Red Sox traded him and he said he would be willing to come back. But Cubs paid a ton.
    I thought the Red Sox lowballed him in extension talks to the point that it was offensive and that made Lester want to leave?