Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 433 of 475 FirstFirst ... 333383423431432433434435443 ... LastLast
Results 6,481 to 6,495 of 7114
    The current qualifying offer rules are:

Under the previous CBA, if a team made a qualifying offer to a player and he signed elsewhere, it would get a supplemental first-round Draft pick (right after the end of the first round). That has all changed.

Under the new rules, if the team that loses the free agent is a revenue-sharing recipient, based on its revenues and market size, then the selection -- if and only if the lost player signs for at least $50 million -- will be awarded a pick between the first round and Competitive Balance Round A of the 2018 MLB Draft. If the player signs for less than $50 million, the compensation pick for those teams would come after Competitive Balance Round B, which follows the second round.

The following 16 teams currently qualify for these picks: A's, Astros, Braves, Brewers, D-backs, Indians, Mariners, Marlins, Orioles, Padres, Pirates, Rays, Reds, Rockies, Royals and Twins.

If the team that loses the player does not receive revenue sharing and did not exceed the luxury-tax salary threshold the previous season, its compensatory pick will come after Competitive Balance Round B. The value of the player's contract doesn't matter in this case. The nine clubs that fall into this category are the Angels, Blue Jays, Cardinals, Cubs, Mets, Phillies, Rangers, Red Sox and White Sox.

If the team that loses the player went over the luxury-tax threshold, the compensation pick will be placed after the fourth round has been completed (as with the previous scenario, it doesn't matter how much the player signs for). The five clubs in this group are the Dodgers, Giants, Nationals, Tigers and Yankees.

Keep in mind, these team designations could change every season. As a quick rule of thumb, Draft-pick compensation breaks down like this:

* General rule: Compensation after Comp Round B (in pick 75-80 range)
    * Exception 1: Team paid luxury tax = Compensation after fourth round (mid-100s)
    * Exception 2: Team received revenue sharing AND free agent signed for more than $50 million = Compensation after the first round

I think they just got unlucky. I don't care if one person thought he may totally evaporate this season, that was not the general consensus. There was no reason to think that if they aren't in it at the deadline they could trade him then if they wanted.

I am still not so sure they have ruled out trying to bring him back. I know Vladdy is a 3B right now, but that doesn't mean anything. If you can keep that elite hitter, you find a way to make it work and squeeze out somebody else.

That's exactly the issue Bart. There was no reason to think they would be "in it".

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    That's exactly the issue Bart. There was no reason to think they would be "in it".
    don't you think we would be sorta in it if Sanchez and Donaldson weren't giving us so little? it would be close.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    don't you think we would be sorta in it if Sanchez and Donaldson weren't giving us so little? it would be close.
    Honestly no. Not at any point in the offseason did I think we had a shot at anything this year.
    I think the closest I got was thinking if literally everything broke just right - every player at every position having career years including pitching, tulo, Martin and Morales, BP, Pillar breaking out, grich and teoscar hitting 30 hr, and perfect health... We could get the WC.

If you look back at my posts you'll find me saying this at my most optimistic.

This team is not good in any fascet of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    If we qualify him we should get the compensation pick regardless of the value of a deal he signs elsewhere no? That is unless he waits out the time period and signs way late. But I'd imagine he'd rather pick up the guaranteed 15+ million.
    I don't really want to risk qualify him. If he accepts its another 23 million wasted. Sounds like he has serious medical conditions. We rarely hit on our first picks anyway.
    Last edited by Robbie; 06-28-2018 at 04:55 PM.

I'd try offering him a 2 year 15m/per deal with an option out after next season.

Don't the Yankees still need a 3B?

Ship them Donaldson and Happ together for their prospects and get it over with.

Steve Pearce to Red Sox - Santiago Espinal coming our way. 23 year old SS playing well in High A ball. Didn't see him on their Top 30 prospect list though.

Steve Pearce to Red Sox - Santiago Espinal coming our way. 23 year old SS playing well in High A ball. Didn't see him on their Top 30 prospect list though.
    I just read an article that claimed he was #29 and during this season he might have moved up to #15

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    Don't the Yankees still need a 3B?

Ship them Donaldson and Happ together for their prospects and get it over with.

We donít
    Spurs Sim league
    2 time Champion 653-331

This was simply a way to free up a roster spot since they already have 4 OF's who should really be playing everyday and a DH who is finally hitting like a DH. Pearce is a solid bench player who fills a need a competing team, but you don't get top prospects back for rental reserves.

I'm going to miss Steve Pearce. He definitely mentored a lot of the young guys when they joined him on the DL. He was definitely the captain of the DL.

Joking aside, his 92 games last year were tied for the 2nd most he's played in a season.

Don't sound like we got much for Pearce. Considering we pickedup his salary.