Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Kobe shoots down idea of eventual trade: 'I'm extremely loyal to the Lakers'

http://www.thescore.com/nba/news/620569

Here are some excerpts from What Kobe said...

"I hear the chatter of Kobe should ask out and he should go and play for a contender in this latter stage of his career. But that's not what I do. I'm extremely loyal to the Lakers."
    "I believe in fighting through the tough times as well as enjoying the good times. It's my responsibility to get us to be the best that we can be. It's important that we approach that on a day-to-day basis."
    "I've enjoyed a great amount of success here," Bryant said. "You can't just enjoy the successful times and then run away from the bad ones. No, I don't even think about [departing]. I'm a Laker."
    The last of a dying breed for sure. A true champion and teammate who will stick it out when the going get tough. Much respect.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...e-to-be-traded

The story lines that have engulfed the Los Angeles Lakers in the last week hit a crescendo Wednesday when Kobe Bryant said he would welcome a trade.

"I would like to be traded, yeah," Bryant said on 1050 ESPN Radio in New York. "Tough as it is to come to that conclusion there's no other alternative, you know?"

Bryant, interviewed by Stephen A. Smith, was asked if there was anything the Lakers could do to change his mind?

"No," Bryant said. "I just want them to do the right thing."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li52iOIFA6M

I would be really disappointed in the Lakers (like I don't hate them already, but at least respect them), if they traded Kobe.

He isn't going anywhere.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Once again you are taking things out of context... That whole mess was drummed up by false reports of Kobe being the main cause in Shaq leaving according to a "Lakers Insider" who many believe to have been Jim Buss. Kobe was angry, he said some stuff. However, Kobe also later took back what he said in that Stephen A. Smith interview you posted and came on Dan Patrick and said that he wanted to retire a Laker... Here are some excerpts from the stuff you conveniently left out...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2886927

Kobe was retaliating to false reports from this "Lakers Insider" initially...

Bryant was left "beyond furious" by a report in Tuesday's Los Angeles Times that read, "as a Lakers insider notes, it was Bryant's insistence on getting away from Shaquille O'Neal that got them in this mess."
    Here is what Kobe said on Dan Patrick following his angry outburst on the Stephen A. Smith show...

"I'm so tired of talking," Bryant said. "It's tough. I always dreamed about retiring as a Laker. I just hope and hope that something can be resolved. Something can be figured out. Just something so I can stay here and be in this city and be with the team I love."

Bryant told Patrick he talked to Jackson after talking to Smith and felt resassured.

"When Phil and I spoke, he was optimistic and determined that we'll both be back," Bryant told Patrick. "Phil is somebody I listen to. I lean on him a lot. He assured me things are going to be OK. Things are going to be all right. Don't go full bore just yet. Take a deep breath and let us work these things out and everything will be all right. Which was very encouraging.

"I don't want to go anywhere else. I want to be here for the rest of my career. It was encouraging to hear that."

Later Monday, he had two different messages for the Los Angeles-area media.

"I can only hope that they do something because I don't want to go no place else. I don't want to," he told radio station KLAC. "I want to stay here. I hope they can do something."
    Here is what Kobe said about what really happened with the whole Shaq trade and why he was so pissed off...

In response to the Times' story, Bryant, interviewed by Smith for a Philadelphia Inquirer column, said Buss "called a meeting with me after he spoke with Jim Gray [of ESPN] to talk with him about Shaq's future in the middle of the 2004 season.

"He met with me at the Four Seasons Hotel here [in Newport Beach, Calif.] across from Fashion Island, which is now the Island Hotel," Bryant told Smith. "I went up to his penthouse suite. [Buss] looks me dead in the face and says: 'Kobe, I am not going to re-sign Shaq. I am not about to pay him $30 million a year or $80 million over three years. No way in hell. I feel like he's getting older. His body is breaking down, and I don't want to pay that money to him when I can get value for him right now rather than wait.

"This is my decision. It's independent of you. My mind is made up. It doesn't matter to me what you do in free agency because I do not want to pay [Shaq], period.'"

"Dr. Buss said that," Bryant told Smith. "And I haven't said anything for years because I've always felt like folks were just looking to create controversy. Now I know. I realize what extent [the Lakers] will go to, to cover themselves."
    Here is what Shaq had to say about Kobe's interpretation...

Reached afterward, O'Neal told Smith that he believed his former teammate to be beyond reproach.

"I believe Kobe 100 percent," O'Neal said when reached in Los Angeles. "Absolutely. There's no doubt in my mind Kobe is telling the truth. I believe him a thousand percent.

"I would have respected Dr. Buss more as a man if he would have told me that himself, because I know he said it. But he didn't [tell me]. He never said a damn word to me."
    So yes, Kobe was annoyed that this "Lakers Insider" was spreading false propaganda about him (most likely Jim Buss) and as a result, said some things in the moment that he later went back on and regretted saying. Yes, he did want the team to get better... Did he leave... NO.

When Kobe was a free agent back in the summer of 2004 did he leave... NO.

Did Kobe re-up when he could have gone somewhere else to chase rings in the twilight of his career just this last season... NO.

Is Kobe now demanding a trade when is team is sucking and the popular opinion is that he should request a trade to try and win number six... NO.

Case closed.
    Last edited by amos1er; 11-03-2014 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by amos1er View Post
    Once again you are taking things out of context... That whole mess was drummed up by false reports of Kobe being the main cause in Shaq leaving according to a "Lakers Insider" who many believe to have been Jim Buss. Kobe was angry, he said some stuff. However, Kobe also later took back what he said in that Stephen A. Smith interview you posted and came on Dan Patrick and said that he wanted to retire a Laker... Here are some excerpts from the stuff you conveniently left out...

Here is what Kobe said on Dan Patrick following his angry outburst on the Stephen A. Smith show...

Here is what Kobe said about what really happened with the whole Shaq trade and why he was so pissed off...

So yes, Kobe was annoyed that this "Lakers Insider" spreading false propaganda about him (most likely Jim Buss) and said some things in the moment that he later went back on and regretted saying. Yes, he did want the team to get better... Did he leave... NO.

Did Kobe re-up when he could have gone somewhere else to chase rings in the twilight of his career just this last season... NO.

Case closed.
    well I didn't try to take anything as anything.

I just shared links from when Kobe said 'I would like to be traded, yeah'

LMAO more Kobe threads
    Seattle Seahawks- New Orleans Pelicans- Atlanta Braves- Anaheim Ducks

"Tough as it is to come to that conclusion, there's no other alternative"

It's good to see Kobe come out and say that publicly.

Whether or not it is true behind closed doors means nothing right now. At this moment, this is the most respectable thing he can do. As little as it will help in killing these types of stories, it is at least an effort in doing so. Good for Kobe.

I would love to see him stay with the Lakers for his whole career. It will be a positive in a career full of them. (Regardless of the 2007 comments. Kobe is in a different place in life, and has most likely learned from that.)
    Basset Life

So yes, Kobe was annoyed that this "Lakers Insider" was spreading false propaganda about him (most likely Jim Buss) and as a result, said some things in the moment that he later went back on and regretted saying. Yes, he did want the team to get better... Did he leave... NO.

Is Kobe now demanding a trade when is team is sucking and the popular opinion is that he should request a trade to try and win number six... NO.

Case closed.
    Good stuff

unfortunately not a good thing for the lakers, now they're stuck with his contract. now lakers will probably hope he retires soon.

Quote Originally Posted by bucketss View Post
    unfortunately not a good thing for the lakers, now they're stuck with his contract. now lakers will probably hope he retires soon.
    They offered it to him. And he took it. Not sure what you're getting at. Kobe is a money making Jackpot for the Busses. I'm pretty sure the Busses are okay with not winning crap for the next few yrs as they get every little ounce of talent of what's left of that body for their financial reasons.

Politically correct

Well, I hope he does stay with the team. Despite the likelihood that his contract is currently crippling the team, Kobe has done a ton for the Laker team, (and the NBA as a whole, as look at some of the revenue/tv deals that the team generated from him being the poster boy), and if anyone deserves to be overpaid at that time in their life for their contributions to the league, it's definitely him.

It would be odd seeing him finish up in another Jersey. Also, whoever would want him, would have to pretty much sell the market still, as he would bring in a ton of revenue (think if Lebron was traded in the middle of the year, to some of the younger fans).

Kobe played his first game as a Laker, he should end wearing the same in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by P&GRealist View Post
    Sometimes, perception isn't reality.

But Tittays are forever.

I FOUND THE LEGENDARY THREAD

https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...es-to-Redskins

smartest off the court move he's made in the NBA. it worked.

he didn't leave, he just provided enough pressure. it can't be used to criticized his loyalty, it was a savvy move.

Case closed.
    I've never actually seen a few of those articles before.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast