Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Here's your new Sterling-Clipper scenario

A. NBA is negotiating with Sterling for him to drop his potentially damaging/embarassing federal lawsuit against the league. Here's the article at NBCSports

B. League settles out of the lawsuit for zero cash by agreeing to lift its "lifetime ban" against Sterling, which seems somewhat tenuous now in any case as he has no direct connection with the league anymore and I'm not sure the NBA can just "ban" a private citizen from its games.

C. Ta-dah. Donald Sterling is back, sitting in Shelly's deluxe custom row of awesome box-seats at center court, watching the games and smirking down at Ballmer, with $2 Billion dollars in his pocket.

DTS already dropped his lawsuits. He's gone. Ballmer owns LAC.

/

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    DTS already dropped his lawsuits. He's gone. Ballmer owns LAC.

/
    he's a laker fan,just making a hope thread

Also, DTS doesn't care about the $2B. He won't smirk at Ballmer. DTS would rather rewind to April and none of this happened. He's rich, old and senile.
    Pretty sure all Clippers fans don't care that DTS got 2B for the team, as long as it means he is gone...which he is.

Quote Originally Posted by abe_froman View Post
    he's a laker fan,just making a hope thread
    Figured that. Just wasn't 100% sure, ha

Nah,Sterling is gonna buy the Hawks now ahahh

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleLynch View Post
    Nah,Sterling is gonna buy the Hawks now ahahh
    Because downtown Atlanta would welcome him with open arms...

Quote Originally Posted by albertajaysfan View Post
    Because downtown Atlanta would welcome him with open arms...
    I think he was referring to the whole Danny Ferry comments about Luol Deng.

There isn't anyone named Donald Sterling that is affiliated with the Clippers in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sssmush View Post
    A. NBA is negotiating with Sterling for him to drop his potentially damaging/embarassing federal lawsuit against the league. Here's the article at NBCSports

B. League settles out of the lawsuit for zero cash by agreeing to lift its "lifetime ban" against Sterling, which seems somewhat tenuous now in any case as he has no direct connection with the league anymore and I'm not sure the NBA can just "ban" a private citizen from its games.

C. Ta-dah. Donald Sterling is back, sitting in Shelly's deluxe custom row of awesome box-seats at center court, watching the games and smirking down at Ballmer, with $2 Billion dollars in his pocket.
    Seriously? It's private property of a privately owned company. They can ban anyone they want to.

The article says NOTHING about dropping the lifetime ban. The fraud lawsuit is already dropped, and all that's left is the anti-trust lawsuit which has no chance in he** of succeeding. Meanwhile he is paying lawyers a boatload of money and will be unlikely to see a dime of the $2 billion while he has pending litigation against the league.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    Seriously? It's private property of a privately owned company. They can ban anyone they want to.

The article says NOTHING about dropping the lifetime ban. The fraud lawsuit is already dropped, and all that's left is the anti-trust lawsuit which has no chance in he** of succeeding. Meanwhile he is paying lawyers a boatload of money and will be unlikely to see a dime of the $2 billion while he has pending litigation against the league.

Right... but you CAN see that they are negotiating the dropping of the lawsuit, right?

So, what is the only thing that Sterling would request at this point?

And, again, I'm not sure about the exact legalities of all this... but it seems sketchy as to how you could ban a private citizen from all NBA stadiums in the first place. The guy's a billionaire, not a shirtless shoeless penniless sex offender carrying weapons and wearing an Al Qaeda sweatshirt.

The league never actually VOTED on all this Sterling stuff... they just threatened to, and Silver unilaterally proclaimed it. But it was always questionable about the ultimate legality of "banning" somebody because of a secret recording his hooker made in his bedroom where he didn't even use the "N" word or get super overtly racist. (don't get me wrong, I think his implicit racism was revolting and I always found him 90% loathesome).

But again.... Shelly Sterling negotiated her row of custom box seats, free for life, and if the league lifts the lifteime ban, there he is. FACT.

And, I'd also say, that if Sterling goes balls out to the mat to legally contest his banishment from NBA stadiums as a private citizen and non-owner.... I think that is a very tough road for the league, and one with a low cost/benefit quotient. I'd say they probably just have to fight him on it, because otherwise it will just look fn ugly if he's sitting there opening night, almost as ugly as if still owned the team.

Who gives a ****, hes not in power, thats what matters. That he has to fight just to get a seat at a Clippers game despite being a billionaire is ****in hilarious. "Some people are so poor, all they have is money"

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    Who gives a ****, hes not in power, thats what matters. That he has to fight just to get a seat at a Clippers game despite being a billionaire is ****in hilarious. "Some people are so poor, all they have is money"
    ok, if you're cool with it, then, hey, fine. I just think it will be kind of hilarious if he is sitting there night after night, basking in the boos, which will probably sound to his brain like wild adulation, and then trolling the media afterwards in interviews and twitter posts.

The makings of a media superstar

I guess this all gets back to the fact that it was utterly bone-headed and unnecessary to give Shelly Sterling "number one fan for life" status along with a boatload of perks and a row of the best seats in the house. I put this on the league for allowing that provision to go through. You could've just given her an extra $100M or something.
    They would've caved. It was totally unnecessary.

And sure I am a Laker fan, and sure you can say this or that about me, but the fact is that Shelly Sterling is the Clipper's OFFICIAL number one fan for life, and you can't front on that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast