Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by racerx08 View Post
    NO! Our farm system is the worst in the major league. There is no one coming up
    to replace him but we can get a handy dandy second stringer as his replacement.

Look here is a list that I have complied that we should focus in the off season.
    We need to sign as many as we can to a minor league contract with a chance to
    make to major in spring training.

Andrew Miller
    Homer Bailey
    Sean Burnett
    Chad Billingsley
    Todd Coffey
    Homer Baily signed a huge extension with the Reds last year.

Andrew Miller is a premier reliever, there is no way he's going anywhere on a ST invite.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    Homer Baily signed a huge extension with the Reds last year.

Andrew Miller is a premier reliever, there is no way he's going anywhere on a ST invite.
    http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...o-be-a-closer/

Good luck getting him to even sign with the Angels, let alone as a Spring Training invite. He's looking to be a closer, not just trying to make a team.

Quote Originally Posted by vladdy#27 View Post
    Realistically what I would do

Non-Tender Gordon Beckham
    Sign a starter Justin Masterson, Jake Peavy, Ryan Vogelsong, or Edinson Volquez for 1-2 years 10M per
    Sign a lefty reliever Andrew Miller 3 years 12M or Neal Cotts 2 years 8M

That would put us right around 183M-184M
    There is no way I would pay Voggelsong 10 mill. and Miller probably gets a lot more than 12 million, I think he ends up getting 30 mill give or take 3 mill.

We should trade Howie Kenderick that will free up additional revenue to go after Jo Lester.
    The Yankees seems the most logical trading partner. Grant Green can play 2 and free up some money.
    I think we should trade freese as well, that would give the team an extra 14 mil to play with.

My Offseason Plan:

Currently the Angels are reported to have about $8-10 Million under the luxury tax.

Trade 1: Howie Kendrick for AJ Cole/Blake Treinen/Aaron Barrett (found this proposal on a Nationals forum: http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=31703.725)

Why for Angels? They get 3 young arms that could be plugged into the rotation or the bullpen as soon as 2015 and could continue to season in AAA if their current depth turns out to be enough (unlikely). This would also give the Halos more financial flexibility (~$8 million) to make more significant moves this winter.

Why for Nationals? They fill in their only major hole with a border line all star. The Nats have ridiculous depth in the pitching department so the loss of the 3 pitchers should only have a minimal effect. They could even work to resign Kendrick to an extension right away.

Trade 2: Erick Aybar/CJ Cron for Zack Wheeler

Why for Angels? They need and get a young, controllable top-of-the-rotation arm. Wheeler could join Garrett Richards at the top of the rotation for the foreseeable future, especially with Weaver and Wilson beginning to show signs of a decline. Imagine a Richards, Wheeler, Shoemaker, Cole, Skaggs, Newcomb rotation in a few years. Plus the Angels save another ~$8 million.

Why for Mets? They get one of the most underrated shortstops in MLB with two more years of control at an under-market contract. Plus they get 5 years of control of CJ Cron who would be perfect to platoon with Duda. In limited time, Cron hit 11 HRs last year, showing that he could easily hit 25-30 with more time. The Mets definitely do not have a shortage of arms, and could still run out a rotation consisting of Harvey, DeGrom, Gee, Niese, Colon, Montero with Syndergaard and Matz waiting in the wings.

Trade 3: David Freese for Allen Craig/Matt Barnes (Got this idea off of a few comments from Red Sox fans on http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/1...or-freese.html - they were saying they would give two of Ranaudo/Escobar/Barnes/Workman for Freese)

Why for Angels? They get another young, controllable arm in Matt Barnes. Allen Craig would also fit perfectly in their lineup, because he can play 1B and OF so he could spell both Pujols and Hamilton when they need to DH. This deal also saves the Halos $1-2 Million.

Why for Red Sox? They fill in their 3B hole with a low risk, short-term investment, while they wait and see if Middlebrooks or Cecchini could be their long-term answer at 3B. Allen Craig didn’t work out in Beantown after the trade deadline deal, and the Red Sox get out of his escalating salary over the next few years. This gives the Sox more $$ to spend on improving their rotation with big names such as Hamels, Lester, Shields, etc.

Trade 4: Cory Rasmus/Cam Bedrosian/Fernando Salas for Aroldis Chapman

Why for Angels? Even though this adds some salary, Chapman combined with Street, Smith, and Jepsen would create an absolutely devastating back end of the bullpen. I would honestly go in this direction instead of going after Andrew Miller, because Miller is going to be way overpaid and doesn’t have the sustainable track record that justifies that much $$ yet.

Why for Reds? They need to shave off some $$. This saves the Reds about $7.5 million, they still gets 3 very good bullpen arms, and they don’t even have to touch their talented rotation. Bedrosian could be groomed into their closer of the future. Rasmus and Salas were both very solid and important last year in contributing to the Angels’ success.

Free Agency:

Sign Jed Lowrie 3yrs/$30mil – Lowrie could fill in for Aybar at SS. While he is a slight downgrade to Aybar, I am pretty confident that Lowrie will bounce back next year and provide some solid offensive numbers with average defense.

Resign Gordon Beckham 1yr/$4mil – Beckham is slated to receive about $5 million in arbitration, but we all know he isn’t worth that. $4 million is a good compromise and something tells me Beckham could have somewhat of a breakout year in his contract year in 2015. Save another $1 million.

Sign Jungho Kang 2yrs/$10mil after a $12mil posting fee – Kang has definite potential. The question is how his numbers in the KBO will translate to the MLB. At the very least Kang would provide insurance for a relatively shaky infield. Plus just having Kang on the Angels will bring in more revenue from an increasingly MLB-interested Korean population.

Sign Yoan Moncada $42mil signing bonus – a number of writers have said if Moncada were eligible for the Amateur Draft he would go #1 overall. Therefore, this is like giving the #1 pick a huge bonus, given the 100% tax on this investment, plus you actually get the #1 pick! The Angels have already spent over the International limit, so no matter what they won’t be able to sign an international amateur free agent for more than $300K over the next 2 years. Plus this financial commitment has no effect on the luxury tax. Just imagine Moncada joining Trout in the lineup for 5-10 years…

Other Notes:
    Matt Long – I penciled him in at 3B, because I absolutely see him as a sleeper candidate who is very likely to bounce back after an injury-riddled, down season. Call me crazy, but I see him as a poor-mans Matt Carpenter. He mashed in Spring Training with the Halos last year, but was denied the final roster spot. Also, just look at his track record. Long knows how to get on base, steal bases and score. I remember following him through the minors over the last 4 years, and he was always just about mirroring Kole Calhoun’s numbers, just with a little less power, but more runs, stolen bases. I see Long as this year’s Matt Shoemaker; the one who will surprise us all.

Kole Calhoun – I moved Calhoun down in the order, because I see him as a more valuable piece when driving others in. Plus his emerging power numbers would pay off more in this role. If Long didn’t work out at the top of the order, then either Calhoun or Lowrie could lead off.

2015 Los Angeles Angels
    3B Long
    CF Trout
    1B Pujols
    LF Hamilton
    DH Craig
    RF Calhoun
    SS Lowrie
    C Iannetta
    2B Beckham

C Perez/Williams
    IF/OF Navarro
    IF Kang/Green/O’Malley/Stamets/Yarbrough
    OF Cowgill/Marte

Weaver
    Wheeler
    Richards
    Shoemaker
    Wilson/Santiago/Tropeano/Cole/Barnes/Treinen/Rucinski

Street
    Chapman
    Smith
    Jepsen
    Morin
    Ramos
    Pestano/Barrett/Diaz/Herrera/Gott/McBryde/Roth/Alvarez

Total Projected Payroll: ~$186 million (around $3 million under the luxury tax threshold)

We should trade Howie Kenderick and CJ Wilson to the Yankees. They want Howie, as part of the trade
    we could force them to take Wilson. This will tie the Yankees hands to prevent them from signing
    Jon Lester. The Yankees payroll will increase and slow them down in their pursuit of Lester.

The Yankees has a lot good quality double AA pitching relievers. If we can bundle them up say get
    3 in return it will shore up our farm system. We have a HUGE hole in the minors for pitching this
    will buy some time until we get some more ready to pitchers to throw away.

What about trading Howie Kenderick for Jeff Samardzija?

What about trading Howie Kenderick for Jeff Samardzija?
    why in the world would they take that deal?

Quote Originally Posted by angelsfan1984 View Post
    why in the world would they take that deal?
    Because Howie Kendrick is All-star 2B. There is not many 2B in the league that hits and plays defense like Howie.

Because Howie Kendrick is All-star 2B. There is not many 2B in the league that hits and plays defense like Howie.
    I would wonder why the ANGELS would take that deal. Trade an all-star 2B for a sub-500 pitcher who's had one semi-decent season? No thanks. There are better deals to be had out there, unless Oakland was willing to add a buttload of prospects to sweeten the pot.

Quote Originally Posted by foonaka View Post
    I would wonder why the ANGELS would take that deal. Trade an all-star 2B for a sub-500 pitcher who's had one semi-decent season? No thanks. There are better deals to be had out there, unless Oakland was willing to add a buttload of prospects to sweeten the pot.
    Why would you try and make someone in your own division better...regardless of who comes out on top in that scenario. They would ship Howie off to the Yanks before they sent him to Oakland.

Quote Originally Posted by angelsfan1984 View Post
    Why would you try and make someone in your own division better...regardless of who comes out on top in that scenario. They would ship Howie off to the Yanks before they sent him to Oakland.
    Not really my point. My point was simply a rebuttal to the previous comment.

Howie is a really good player and is underrated by many Angel fans. I've heard a lot of people just want to get any value for him just because it is his last year under contract. This guy is a 3-4 WAR player pretty much every year. Players like that just don't grow on trees and if people think that someone like Matt Long or Grant Green can replace those 3-4 wins every year, they are crazy. If a deal like the Samardja one came up and he had more years under contract, I would look into that. We wouldn't be able to resign him though. Our main weakness is the rotation and Samardja would be a top end of the rotation guy. If a deal for someone like Tyson Ross came up, I would do that in a heartbeat. These are just hypotheticals, but these are the pitchers I would probably trade Howie for. IMO, we would have to get a stud starting pitcher in return, who we have team control over for a few more years. If we can't get something like that in return, there is no point in trading him for trash, just because he has an expiring contract. We have a decent shot at making things happen next year, and throwing Kendrick away for nothing isn't going to help our cause.

Looks like were getting a few bites on CJ Wilsons availability. I wonder who the takers are...? Yankees have to be in on that. I would assume Marlins too.

Thank you for enlighten Howie true value, I might have underestimate his true value.
    But I still think we need to shore up our rotation I think we got very lucky last year in finding Matt Shoemaker. Tyler Skaggs was having a good year before he got hurt. We can't assume that rotation will perform the same well as next year.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast