Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Time to fire Scioscia

Yeah I know, best record in the MLB. Highest scoring offense too. Well, that's all well and good but when you have some of the best talent in the league, it comes down to decisions.

Scioscia continued to trot out Hamilton all season, no matter how bad he was playing. When we had our greatest success was when he was injured and not playing. As soon as Hamilton is back, he's an automatic out and our offense dragged after that. 20 straight outs in the post season, and Scioscia was praying for the magic. We get to eat the last 2 years of his contract now will less production than Kole Calhoun. Priceless.

Brennan Boesch is another head scratcher. Hitting under .200 and not doing anything but clog the bases when he gets on, Scioscia continued to play him when Cron did nothing but hit game winning hits all season and raked most of the time when he played. He could run circles around Boesch on the bases too.

Then we get another retread like Gordon Beckham that can't hit at all. We have Grant Green killing it most of the year.

All of our injuries down the stretch were to starting pitching, but when you only score 2 runs a game in the post season, it doesn't matter how many runs you give up. All of our runs were homers or unearned runs. In another words, we sucked.

I wanted Scioscia fired before the season for his questionable game management, and now after the best record for the season, we get to endure another season of Hamilton struggling, and morale collapsing when he plays.

Scioscia made some offensive calls that made sense at times (e.g., having Aybar bunt to move the 1st base runner into scoring position twice), and at others were just head-scratchers (e.g., Calhoun bunting on a 3-1 count when he hadn't really bunted all year and look very uncomfortable doing so). Unfortunately, the not-so-swift moves were the ones that really hurt the team and outweighed the good calls. Halo fans shouldn't blame Hamilton for his performance. For a baseball player to not see real or live game pitching in about a month and expect him to succeed wasn't realistic of Scioscia. Hamilton was put into a position to fail by his manager. Rojas, Lodge, Langston, and Rogers all made the same point in one variation or another. Scioscia should've known better. Game 1? Ok, Angel fans could live with Hamilton starting if he had to start an ALDS game, but anything beyond that wouldn't make sense. But it was obvious by virtually everyone that Hamilton just didn't have "it" by the end of the game. His swing, body movements in left field (e.g., misread of the ball that resulted into a run allowed), and concentration were unbalanced. The cortisone shots really hurt Hamilton's game (performance), and that's not his fault for doing all he could with what he had in order to help the team win. Let Navarro or Cowgill start instead of Hamilton in Games 2 and 3. The outcome of the ALDS makes me wonder where Scioscia stands in the eyes of Moreno and/or Dipoto. Was this series the one that cost Scioscia his job? Not based on that the fact that Angels lost the series, but more of how they lost the series. Aside from that, no one can blame Scioscia for the overall offensive power outage. Or he shouldn't be blamed, at least. The Angels were simply out-managed and out-played by the Royals. Sometimes it's better to be the hot team than the best team. I don't know if Scioscia should be fired or not because with or without him they're still a great ball club. I've "called for his head" in previous posts, but now I'm unsure. Is the series loss still that fresh that most of us would like to see a new face as the Angels' manager?? ??And that it's easier to replace one man than 25 players??

I only focus on this because it's the most recently major occurrence, but we all have our areas of focus and reasons for why we'd like to have Scioscia stay or be replaced.
    Last edited by RaiderNation24; 10-09-2014 at 12:33 AM.

As a fan I shouldn't see a very common baseball situation and say..."wtf is he doing". that happens far too often with Scioscia. More often than not, he fails when it comes to basic baseball concepts. Just as you have alluded to...Hamilton should not have been in that lineup. Pinch hitter late in the game...fine, but starting those 3 games was ridiculous.

CJ Wilson had no business starting a playoff game. Carrying that many bullpen arms knowing full well that he had a banged up Hamilton in the lineup and already moving starters into the bullpen...these things make no sense. The hitters definitely underperformed, but that's where the manager is supposed to make moves in order to get the wheels turning. Bunting is not the only way to get runners over. Taking the bat out of Calhouns hands on a 3-1 count. Pathetic. No hit and runs, no steals...he's lost it. Hes not the right manager for this team.

Quote Originally Posted by angelsfan1984 View Post
    As a fan I shouldn't see a very common baseball situation and say..."wtf is he doing". that happens far too often with Scioscia. More often than not, he fails when it comes to basic baseball concepts. Just as you have alluded to...Hamilton should not have been in that lineup. Pinch hitter late in the game...fine, but starting those 3 games was ridiculous.

CJ Wilson had no business starting a playoff game. Carrying that many bullpen arms knowing full well that he had a banged up Hamilton in the lineup and already moving starters into the bullpen...these things make no sense. The hitters definitely underperformed, but that's where the manager is supposed to make moves in order to get the wheels turning. Bunting is not the only way to get runners over. Taking the bat out of Calhouns hands on a 3-1 count. Pathetic. No hit and runs, no steals...he's lost it. Hes not the right manager for this team.
    I should be working on my thesis, but I'd rather discuss Angel baseball :P

I wonder if the notion of moving Wilson to the bullpen ever crossed Scioscia's mind. Didn't he come out of the bullpen for Texas before moving into the starting rotation? I would have preferred Rasmus to start Game 3. Wilson wasn't our best option for Game 3. (Sorry, Travis Rogers.) I like how Lincecum comes out of bullpen now for the Giants with the ability to spot-start when needed (e.g., an injury to a regular starter). Also, Wilson only pitches one inning anyways, so he might as well come out as a relief pitcher. Yes, the Angels paid for a starting pitcher. However, they won't get their money's worth out of him. In my opinion, he can best serve the team by coming out of the bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderNation24 View Post
    I should be working on my thesis, but I'd rather discuss Angel baseball :P

I wonder if the notion of moving Wilson to the bullpen ever crossed Scioscia's mind. Didn't he come out of the bullpen for Texas before moving into the starting rotation? I would have preferred Rasmus to start Game 3. Wilson wasn't our best option for Game 3. (Sorry, Travis Rogers.) I like how Lincecum comes out of bullpen now for the Giants with the ability to spot-start when needed (e.g., an injury to a regular starter). Also, Wilson only pitches one inning anyways, so he might as well come out as a relief pitcher. Yes, the Angels paid for a starting pitcher. However, they won't get their money's worth out of him. In my opinion, he can best serve the team by coming out of the bullpen.
    As dumb as Scioscia is, he seems to have gotten dumber during the playoffs, which is the worst thing that could have happened to us. Wilson was the worst candidate to start game three of the playoffs series. He did nothing this year to merit pitching in that game, yet Scioscia threw him out there. If the Giants can move a former Cy Young winner to the bullpen during the playoffs, Scioscia should have had no problem keeping Wilson out of the rotation. Scioscia lives in the past way to much. Rasmus or Santiago would have easily been better options than Wilson. Sciosica really screwed the pooch in the playoffs this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Hangin n Wangin View Post
    As dumb as Scioscia is, he seems to have gotten dumber during the playoffs, which is the worst thing that could have happened to us. Wilson was the worst candidate to start game three of the playoffs series. He did nothing this year to merit pitching in that game, yet Scioscia threw him out there. If the Giants can move a former Cy Young winner to the bullpen during the playoffs, Scioscia should have had no problem keeping Wilson out of the rotation. Scioscia lives in the past way to much. Rasmus or Santiago would have easily been better options than Wilson. Sciosica really screwed the pooch in the playoffs this year.
    If I performed like he does at my job...I would be unemployed. There's no excuses for what kind of performance he displayed in the postseason...time to go Mike.

And now Dipoto resigns because Scioscia is mad his best friend, Mickey Hatcher, got fired a hitting several years ago. Oh, and mad Josh Howard still isn't around to trot out for automatic outs

Dipoto restocked our Farm system with tons of young arms and gave up players that had logjams ahead of them at the Majors. Trading Kendrick for Heaney was sheer brilliance. Kendrick was almost past his prime and lost a lot of speed and power.

Can we fire Scioscia already?

Time to give LaRussa a call….

Quote Originally Posted by Angels02 View Post
    Time to give LaRussa a call….
    Larussa is almost 80 years old....

Where are natepro and vlad? The last scioscia thread was pure comedy.
    "'Half of the people can be part right all of the time. Some of the people can be all right part of the time. But all of the people can't be all right all of the time.' I think Abraham Lincoln said that."

Natepro was the worst.
    Last edited by Hangin n Wangin; 07-17-2015 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JEbin View Post
    Natepro didn't ever come back after the year Joe Blanton had with us. He fought so hard to prove he was an average pitcher. Joe Blanton made Natepro look like an absolute fool and he never wanted to show himself in this forum again.

Quote Originally Posted by JEbin View Post
    Natepro is probably in the royals forum trying to defend Blanton.

Richards tied a career best with 11 strikeouts tonight. Scioscia let him go 8.1 innings, then pulls him. My question is, "Why?" Let the man try to set a new career best and, if nothing else, complete the game. How about this: either don't let Richards start the 8th inning, or let him finish the game. What is the point of letting him go one-third of an inning with every intention of replacing him? (The pitch count is irrelevant for Richards at this point because he is proven enough, so I hope that is not the reason for the pitching change.) Is there really a better option in the bullpen over Richards? I would really like to understand Scioscia's mindset with these pitching moves.

Quote Originally Posted by angelsfan1984 View Post
    Larussa is almost 80 years old....
    Is Ozzie Guillen too much of a forgotten, radical consideration? :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast