Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Brooklyn Nets Lost $144 million last year...

http://prosportsdaily.com/articles/b...ts-323871.html

So Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov lost $144 million last year, which according to Grantland was $131 million more than the team that came is second place. This is insane. Who actually thought that Brooklyn with a very old Garnett & Pierce, an aging J. Johnson and an injury plagued Deron Williams would actually win a championship, much less spend so much for clearly not being a championship team?

Got me thinking about roster moves (trades, free agent signing, etc.) that got hyped up extremely and really didn't pan out like everyone expected. Made a list of top three I can think of but I'm sure you guys have plenty more:

1. Karl Malone and Gary Payton going to L.A. with Shaq & Kobe - this seemed like an all-star team on paper that was unbeatable. Although they made it to the finals, got smoked by the Pistons.

2. Chris Webber getting Trade to PHI - feel sad for AI who thought he was getting a "bona fide superstar" (his own words) to finally compete in the East again and reality was that C-Webb was a shell of himself.

3. Basically all high priced free agent signings by the Knicks the past 15 years. I mean more towards the Isaiah Thomas era where they had tons of SGs and SFs who went to NY to see their careers go down in flames.

Honorable mention to the Big 3 (Lebron, Wade and Bosh). People initially made it seem like this was just unfair (mostly hyped up with the not two, not three .... ). They did win but for the hype in the beginning it seemed like the somewhat underachieved. Honorable mention to Grant Hill and Tracy McGrady going to Orlando and they ended up playing almost nothing together because of injuries.

Who else you got?

Dwight, Nash, Kobe, Pau.

The Nets are an over exaggerated sports team with unrealistic expectations, that over spent to realize those expectations in the midst of epic failure and systematic collapse.

I love what Prok did. He treated his team like an owner that wanted to win at all costs. Not an owner trying to penny pinch and flip a profit. Also, they got to the 2nd round without their best player Brook Lopez. I don't see how you can call that a failure.

Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

I wish there were more owners like him. If he owned the Suns in the mid 2000s then they'd have a title.

Kristaps Porzingis

Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    I love what Prok did. He treated his team like an owner that wanted to win at all costs. Not an owner trying to penny pinch and flip a profit. Also, they got to the 2nd round without their best player Brook Lopez. I don't see how you can call that a failure.
    I agree with having an owner that wants to spend to win. At least you know that your team will be competitive. But you have to admit it was a long-shot to win and the team was really loaded with age.

So you want an owner who is going to pverpay massively for mediocre aged/talent all because he really really wants to win? On top of such a decision has made them pretty meh for years to come now with a high payroll.

Wanting to win really badly and be willing to spend doesnt mean good things.

crooklyn. No firsts for the next 10 years :*(
    New Jersey Devils/Brooklyn Nets/New York Yankees/New York Jets

12/7/12 R.I.P GRAM (PSD LEGEND)

Want to be President of PSD? Post here to enroll. No skills needed!
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...ction-Nominees

that is a lot of moola

I wish there were more owners like him. If he owned the Suns in the mid 2000s then they'd have a title.
    Completely agree, same thing if he owned OKC just 3 years ago. If KG's production doesn't fall off a cliff along with a healthy Brook Lopez then who knows what happens. Obviously it didn't work but his win at any cost mentality deserves some praise.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatFan:29102429
    I agree with having an owner that wants to spend to win. At least you know that your team will be competitive. But you have to admit it was a long-shot to win and the team was really loaded with age.
    No matter what he did it was going to be a long-shot. It was impossible for the Nets and also 20-25 other teams to be more dangerous than that... but he was still doing everything he could do maximize his teams win total and I respect that.

Kristaps Porzingis

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most:29102436
    So you want an owner who is going to pverpay massively for mediocre aged/talent all because he really really wants to win? On top of such a decision has made them pretty meh for years to come now with a high payroll.

Wanting to win really badly and be willing to spend doesnt mean good things.
    His alternative was spend less, lose more, be more irrelevant. They would have still been capped out and in nba purgatory... how is that better?

Kristaps Porzingis

Quote Originally Posted by Kaner:29102532
    Completely agree, same thing if he owned OKC just 3 years ago. If KG's production doesn't fall off a cliff along with a healthy Brook Lopez then who knows what happens. Obviously it didn't work but his win at any cost mentality deserves some praise.
    Exactly... Duncan and Dirk are still chugging out quality seasons... if KG's decline wasnt so drastic and Brook was healthy that team would be a tough out. Its not like the Heat had the ideal roster to defend someone like Brook. Just look at what Hibbert did two years ago.

Kristaps Porzingis

Dwight,Pau,Kobe and Nash looked bomb on paper. At least Payton,Malone,Shaq and Kobe made it to the finals. I agree prok took a big swing and it didn't follow though, but at least he wants to try and field a winning team.

Yeah, the nets where supposed to be all that and so much more, looks like that has now blown up in that team's face.
    With the deepest of regrets I am announcing that I will be leaving Pro Sports Daily. No reason in particular but wanted to thank everyone for a great 6 years here. Lots of great discussion and good poll series as well. Also fun re-drafts. Best of luck to you all in the future.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast