Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Will Goran Dragic continue to be one of the most underrated guards?

I just read a thread about the top five players at each position, and only a few responses had Goran Dragic in the top five of shooting guards. Why is that, and is The Dragon (coolest NBA nickname candidate) going to continue being one of the most underrated guards the league?
    Last season, he equaled Dwayne Wade's performance per game while playing 76 games. That's 22 more than Wade, who's four years older and dealing with more injuries.
    Dragic shot more than 50 percent from the field, better than most not named Wade, and more than 40 percent from behind the arc, better than most not named Thompson. He distributed as much as James Harden while averaging fewer turnovers and playing better defense.
    What will it take for The Dragon to get more attention? Does having a great point guard like Eric Bledsoe take away from Dragic, the best player on a playoff team? Does Phoenix need to make it to the playoffs?

I didn't rank him among the top five SGs, because I still consider Dragic a PG and ranked him fourth among all PG int he league. Regardless, I do get your point. However, I think he needs to prove it over a long period of time. I remember the end of this last season in Houston where he was a monster and showed flashes of greatness, but then he receded a ton that first year in Phoenix. With his first full season of domination under his belt and a likely huge paycheck coming next offseason, I think there's a very good chance he's going to repeat next year.

He won't be underrated for very long...

I don't understand how he is underrated at all. He isn't a top 5 pg and people considering him top 5 pg already are really optimistic that this isn't an outlier year. I think he is in the top 10 pgs, but if anything he is rated spot on or slightly overrated until he proves he can do this year in and year out.

1.) Chris Paul
    2.) Stephen Curry
    3.) Russell Westbrook
    4.) Tony Parker
    5.) John Wall

he will for 2 reasons
    1.some still cling to him being a pg,even though the roster on paper have bledsoe,and now thomas,as the pg's for phx
    2.he doesnt make a name for himself(due to not playing for a top team ,and not being an attention seeker)

but yeah,he should be a bigger deal than he is

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    I didn't rank him among the top five SGs, because I still consider Dragic a PG and ranked him fourth among all PG int he league. Regardless, I do get your point. However, I think he needs to prove it over a long period of time. I remember the end of this last season in Houston where he was a monster and showed flashes of greatness, but then he receded a ton that first year in Phoenix. With his first full season of domination under his belt and a likely huge paycheck coming next offseason, I think there's a very good chance he's going to repeat next year.

He won't be underrated for very long...
    I know Phoenix has a hybrid guard system, but wouldn't Dragic be used as the shooting guard if playing with Bledsoe? I can see him being the primary point guard with Bledsoe hurt, but he's back now, and Phoenix has Isaiah Thomas. Dragic might even see some time at small forward this season. I am salivating at the thought of Thomas, Bledsoe and Dragic wreaking havoc on some front-heavy team.
    Last edited by mrblisterdundee; 09-30-2014 at 01:13 AM.

For me, I look at his numbers as being slightly inflated by playing in an uptempo, transition style that benefits guard play, and won't work in the playoffs.
    Confidence from making a few easy lay ups is huge.

It's a big reason why guys in the east shoot lower percentages, and a guy like harden is useless in the playoffs without his transition game
    Plus they were supposed to suck so they got no coverage

Yes.

Will he be playing SG or PG this season?

Due to depth, I would say he's clawing his way into being a top 5 PG, but in my opinion, after the top 3 the rest of the top 10 is just down to preference.

But if he plays as SG, he's the best SG in the league. Kobe and Wade are on their way out due to age and injuries. Harden only plays one side of the game, a side that Dragic imo actually plays just as well and he's simply a better offensive player than the likes of Beal, Thompson etc.

At the very least he's on par with Harden and DeRozan, although I will happily form an argument to say that he's better than both of those guys.

I dont think he's underrated. He just isnt listed as a top 5 PG or SG because ppl dont know what he really is. But either way he did make an AllNba team last season so he ks getting the credit

Dragic is listed as playing 52% of his mins last year at PG, according to basketball reference, and 88%+ in the years prior. That may change this year, but he's still a point guard for now.

He was an MVP candidate and a top 3 PG last year behind Steph & CP3.

He was also a top 10 player last year and the only player in the NBA besides LBJ to average 20ppg & 6apg.

Also the only player in the NBA that averaged 20ppg or more while shooting 50% and 40% from 3.

then you add him taking a PHO team that was projected as a lottery team to 48 wins out west... he had an amazing year.

Thing is, it was one season, I'm interested to see if he can repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum187 View Post
    I don't understand how he is underrated at all. He isn't a top 5 pg and people considering him top 5 pg already are really optimistic that this isn't an outlier year. I think he is in the top 10 pgs, but if anything he is rated spot on or slightly overrated until he proves he can do this year in and year out.

1.) Chris Paul
    2.) Stephen Curry
    3.) Russell Westbrook
    4.) Tony Parker
    5.) John Wall
    Amen. Guy is BEYOND overrated.
    Travis Zajac #19

GP 2
    G 2
    A 0
    P 2
    +/- +2
    Face off % 54.3
    SOG 7
    TOI 20:02

Quote Originally Posted by jakub View Post
    Amen. Guy is BEYOND overrated.
    I'd love to hear how Dragic is 'beyond overrated'. You don't need to believe he's top 5 in the league but he had a comparable season to some star guards. He was snubbed for an allstar spot last season and made 3rd team All-NBA.
    With Bledsoe injured he carried a team of Green, Tucker, Frye, and Miles Plumlee (starting lineup). 3 castoffs and a guy returning from a year off due to a heart problem.

I don't care if people don't think he's a top 5 SG or PG but saying he's overrated means you (or anyone judging) hasn't seen him play in the circumstances he played in.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    Dragic is listed as playing 52% of his mins last year at PG, according to basketball reference, and 88%+ in the years prior. That may change this year, but he's still a point guard for now.
    It already changed last season. Basketball-Reference listed him as a shooting guard during 2013-14. Bledsoe's back, so he slots to shooting guard.

People need to stop overreacting these damn guards. Let's see if they put up the same numbers. Eric Bledsoe and goran dragic are not that good. Please you guys this is getting rediculous.
    "There are only two or three superstars in the league anyways," Karl said early in the season.

Agreed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast