Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Are we entering a new golden era of basketball?

Right now we have three bigs that have Superstar potential (AD, DMC, Dre)

Two top ten GOAT in LBJ and Durant.

A ton of up and coming wings and guards. (Kawhi, Wiggins, Parker, Curry, DeRozan, Beal, Wall).

And it feels like the competetive spirit is back with real rivalries. GSW VS LAC. HOU vs Dallas, Cavs vs Heat.

Are we entering a new golden age of hoops?

If not then damn close! The level of talent in the league just seems to be getting better and younger. Even the East is starting to pick up (which was bound to happen with all the high draft picks).

With the NFL dealing with so much crap right now and the NBA product looking better and better, it'll be interesting to see if basketball can close the gap.
    "I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty-headed animal food trough wiper! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries! "

I'm more optimistic this season than past few years for good entertainment... Ages/primes are aligning well among stars right now.

The spurs may have saved the NBA....

Lol at Durant top 10 all time though..slow down on that one

"Golden era" is an overused term in sports. But I do believe this is the most talented era of basketball in NBA history outside of the late 80s to early 90s. That time period saw all-time great veterans finish up their careers, guys like Kareem, Moses, Magic and Bird. While new all-time greats were taking their place in MJ, Hakeem, Barkley, Robinson, Stockton and Malone.

We've seen something similar in the last 5-10 years with Duncan, Kobe, Dirk, Garnett, Nash, Kidd, Pierce and Allen all exiting their prime and finishing up their careers. Except now we're seeing talent come in huge waves. First it was the 2003 draft with Lebron, Melo, Wade and Bosh. But it wasn't long before Dwight and Paul came along. And then it was Durant, Westbrook, Love, Harden, Griffin, Curry and Cousins. And now it's Davis, Drummond, Wiggins and Parker.

It's possible that the last five years and the next five years will be the most talented decade in the history of the NBA.

Not too impressed by present day superstar talent so no. Besides Bron and Durant there's nobody. Besides, rivalries are dead in today's nba.

That era came and went in the past 20-25 years.

Better question is are you new to basketball?

I think OP means overall talent of the league is better. Of course in the 80s and 90s the dozens of superstars were top notch, and were pretty much better and had guys who could single handedly carry their teams. Other than LBJ, Durant, Westbrook, there aren't many two-three way players who can not only be a global icon, but lead their teams single handedly.

no

Im going to go in the total other direction from most posters here and say 100% NO
    LBJ CP3 Durant and Curry are the only really high level once in a generation talents in the NBA right now imo.
    Things look super bleak for the league there is no bigs at all
    the wings are at best flirting with superstar talent and at worse marginal all stars in any other generation. Most players are 1 way players and the balance between the east and west is damn near none existant. i want to argue that outside of the 4 mentioned above these players these days are so mediocre no one remembers what a truly great player is like.

ps. my interest in basketball has tanked massively the past 3 - 5 seasons too.
    Last edited by Alayla; 09-18-2014 at 01:59 AM.

anyone who thinks the league is not as talented at any point in basketball must be fooling themselves.

the only thing that isn't as strong as the 80s and 90s (in relation) is competition

Quote Originally Posted by HandsOnTheWheel:29050643
    Not too impressed by present day superstar talent so no. Besides Bron and Durant there's nobody. Besides, rivalries are dead in today's nba.

That era came and went in the past 20-25 years.
    I kinda gotta agree with this. There's not enough SUPER stars.. And all the stars we have have way too big of flaws

to be fair though, all of the guys get picked apart a lot more than they did back then thanks to advanced stats, social media
    without it we would probably look at the harden/love/cousins etc and call them super stars alongside lebron/durant because as fans of other teams we wouldnt have access to info or see them play enough to think otherwise

I'm sorry but early 2000s anyone??

Kobe, SHAQ, Garnett, Duncan, Pierce, Ray, Vince, McGrady, Iverson, rookie Melo and Lebron, young Wade, Yao, Billups, Francis, Kidd, Kmart, Webber, Peja, Parker, Ginobili, Pau, Big Ben, Sheed, Dirk, Old Reggie, Baron, Jermaine, injured Hill and Penny, Nash, Marion, Stoudemire, Artest, wizards Jordan, Zo

Rookie Scalabrine..

Thats an absurd amount of TALENT. Not to mention you have prime/peak Shaq, Duncan (top 10 all time), Garnett...prime McGrady, Iverson, Kobe, VC.. rookie Lebron, Wade. That trumps prime Durant and Lebron.

I think (actually I am certain, but don't want to sound arrogant) early 2000s star power blows today's out of the water..and is equal to the 90s and 80s mentioned earlier.

I will agree that the disparity is better, as in you can have a full starting lineup of 5 good players, and that the role players are better..lottssts of solid talent today, but not as many studs.

So in that sense its a golden age, but star players are important, and we lack actually good ones nowadays. Watching the western conference feels like golden age if ur more than just a casual watcher..
    I think this will be a fun season.
    Last edited by ThuglifeJ; 09-18-2014 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HandsOnTheWheel View Post
    Not too impressed by present day superstar talent so no. Besides Bron and Durant there's nobody.
    What does that even mean? Nobody? I think you're seriously, seriously underrating the talent in the league today and are living a bit in the past. Chris Paul is easily a top 10 all-time PG and on his way to cracking the top 5. Duncan, Parker and Manu still have the Spurs playing at a freakishly high level. And the talent at PG and PF is just insanely high between Curry, Westbrook, Lowry, Dragic, Irving, Lillard, Wall, etc. and Love, Griffin, Davis, Aldridge and Dirk. Hell, I would argue that those two positions might be the most stacked they've ever been in the history of the league.

Besides, rivalries are dead in today's nba.
    Just because we don't have the Lakers and Celtics playing at a high level doesn't mean we don't have rivalries. There are teams that genuinely do not like each other, especially in the Western Conference, which is as deep and as talented as it's ever been. And with the East getting a boost this offseason, we should see a lot more competitive play in that conference this season.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone:29050934
    Quote Originally Posted by HandsOnTheWheel View Post
    Not too impressed by present day superstar talent so no. Besides Bron and Durant there's nobody.
    What does that even mean? Nobody? I think you're seriously, seriously underrating the talent in the league today and are living a bit in the past. Chris Paul is easily a top 10 all-time PG and on his way to cracking the top 5. Duncan, Parker and Manu still have the Spurs playing at a freakishly high level. And the talent at PG and PF is just insanely high between Curry, Westbrook, Lowry, Dragic, Irving, Lillard, Wall, etc. and Love, Griffin, Davis, Aldridge and Dirk. Hell, I would argue that those two positions might be the most stacked they've ever been in the history of the league.

Besides, rivalries are dead in today's nba.
    Just because we don't have the Lakers and Celtics playing at a high level doesn't mean we don't have rivalries. There are teams that genuinely do not like each other, especially in the Western Conference, which is as deep and as talented as it's ever been. And with the East getting a boost this offseason, we should see a lot more competitive play in that conference this season.
    That's not enough really. You could have a lot more to say about past gens. You could argue a reason why Spurs are playing at such a high level still (Parker ginobili Duncan), is cuz the league hasn't progressed enough to knock them off. I'm sure these guys thought they'd be retired by now but they look around and don't see any young phenoms that push them into retirement like usual.

And yes rivalrys are dead. More so between players. I don't know any significant ones that get you excited....lebron and Durant practice together. Its denial to say we still have good rivalry's today..

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast