Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).

Danny Ferry on Deng: "He's got some African in him... I don't say that in a bad way."

I know some of us might be tired to the 'race' conversations, but what are your thoughts on this.

Obviously none of us were in the room, so we don't know the context, but how does a comment like this stick with you?

Deng was born in Sudan, and then lived in Egypt for a time before moving to England, so Deng is from Africa. I know if a person of colour said another person of colour still had some African in them, it may be taken as a compliment, but obviously in a different context coming from a person from a 'privileged' group this can be construed as an insult as well.

If we were to say that Nash still has some Canadian in him, or Dirk still had some German in him, that would just be a reference to them holding onto their culture. I think it is sad that saying the same thing of a person from Africa has to be read as an insult, but sadly in many cases it is.

Ferry said that it wasn't meant in a 'bad' way. Does this excuse it? This comment seems very different than the one made by the owner, which seemed more like a statistical analysis of the fan base meant to gather their interests and increase profits by constructing an at-game atmosphere that was welcoming to the fans that generated the most profit. That is problematic obviously, but it's more a numbers game than a 'race' game, though it is systematically biased. Ferry's comments are a different kind of problem entirely.

What are your thoughts?
    Why did the chicken cross the basketball court?
    Because he heard the refs were blowing fowls.

No big deal. Depending on the context. But it doesn't exactly sound great lol

Dont know if it's culture or basketball related. Who knows. I wouldn't doubt some management guys saying the same thing about European players and their style of play. (maybe their style of play doesn't fit how the team wants to play) We just don't know the context. It doesn't sound great, but context here is important before jumping to conclusions.

I don't see how Deng being African has any relevance to basketball in the same regard as Steve Nash being being Canadian or Dirk being German as OP mentioned.

saying that he would have a nice store out front but be doing shady illegal dealings in the back is certainly not a nice thing to say and it's hard to tell whether he meant that based on race or just his feelings on Deng as a person. either way, the comments are extremely damaging to the organization
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

The full quote where he says what Jamiecballer just brought up should be added to OP

I think Africa should be insulted. Because Deng is a crappy person.
    For not honoring a sig bet I now own YEDB90

based on what? not wanting to play for a dysfunctional organization? who, by the way, would still be stuck in the mud had LeBron james not been born there. perfect example is rehiring Ferry

I think the comments are out of place as a professional, but he aint wrong about the African thing in general, and its technically not racial because African isn't a race. so **** it, I just feel bad for Cleveland fans for having this clown as a gm, God he's terrible at his job, and why is gilbert so intent on repeating his mistakes over and over, first mike brown now this loser. or is it the culmination of his intricate plan to get back at LeBron for leaving?

"ill lure him back, and once he's here, and cant leave again without his valuable public image going completely to shite, ill waste the rest of his career, MUAHAHAHA!!!"

He does have some African in him

Your baby can't do this

Sad they're trying to take Danny Ferry's job over something as dumb as this. What was said about Deng wasn't nice but (a) it sounds like Ferry was quoting someone else and (b) it's a sentiment I've heard expressed about immigrants from anywhere by people of all races and colors. If you've never heard black people talking this way about African immigrants then you probably haven't been around black people much.

But this is Silver's legacy: the racial police. Does anyone think it would be equally problematic if Ferry were black and had said this?

Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    Sad they're trying to take Danny Ferry's job over something as dumb as this. What was said about Deng wasn't nice but (a) it sounds like Ferry was quoting someone else and (b) it's a sentiment I've heard expressed about immigrants from anywhere by people of all races and colors. If you've never heard black people talking this way about African immigrants then you probably haven't been around black people much.

But this is Silver's legacy: the racial police. Does anyone think it would be equally problematic if Ferry were black and had said this?
    the only one trying to take his job from him was his boss

OP should've put the whole quote up.

He is a good guy overall. But he is not perfect. He got some African in him. And I don't say that in a bad way
    So according to Ferry, Deng "is not perfect" because got some African in him.
    Last edited by lamzoka; 09-09-2014 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heatcheck View Post
    based on what? not wanting to play for a dysfunctional organization? who, by the way, would still be stuck in the mud had LeBron james not been born there. perfect example is rehiring Ferry

I think the comments are out of place as a professional, but he aint wrong about the African thing in general, and its technically not racial because African isn't a race. so **** it, I just feel bad for Cleveland fans for having this clown as a gm, God he's terrible at his job, and why is gilbert so intent on repeating his mistakes over and over, first mike brown now this loser. or is it the culmination of his intricate plan to get back at LeBron for leaving?

"ill lure him back, and once he's here, and cant leave again without his valuable public image going completely to shite, ill waste the rest of his career, MUAHAHAHA!!!"
    Whether he's wrong or not he shouldn't have said it.

He's still with the Hawks. He hasn't been rehired by the Cavs.

Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post

And here comes the defense lol.
    Friend: I think the NBA paid off the Heat in the first yr because of the politics. They threw game four and they paid Lebron because they were angry with what he did. So he had pay one way or another.

F: Vogel doesn't run that team. Shaw does. If he leaves they are going to suck and Vogel will get fired.

-Heat fan

It was a rude thing to say but it was not racist so much as anti-immigrant. That was the point - and I also don't think it's a fireable offense.

The more i read about Atlanta, the more this seems like a witch hunt, or even a coup.

What public figures (and you are a public figure if you have press conferences) need to realize is that if something you say -could- be taken negatively, it -will- be.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast