Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Did Minnesota really blow it back in 2010?

The Wolves had arguably one of the most promising front courts in the league in Al Jefferson and Kevin Love, which had they kept, would've been by far the best in the NBA right now (even though their interior D would've been bad tbh). So in addition to Minnesota shipping Big Al to Utah for 2 future picks and Kosta Koufos, they also picked Wesley Johnson 4th overall in that year's draft with guys like Paul George, Gordon Hayward, Eric Bledsoe & Avery Bradley still on the board (and that's just the perimeter players, there were also plenty of quality bigs which they could've traded afterwards). As if all of the above weren't enough they also invested their evolution as a team to guys like Darko Milicic and Michael Beasley, whose names speak for themselves at this point (even though being fair, B-Easy did have his best season in the L in 10-11).

In your opinion if the Wolves wanted to and actually had a competent front office, could they have formed a contender based around their then dynamic duo of bigs? What would you have done if you were their GM?

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    I don't blame the Wolves for taking a gamble on Beasley and Darko.... they were low investments with potentially high yield. It's like Sac-town taking a gamble on Derek Williams, or the Thunder picking up Thabeet.

I think having two post scorers looks good on paper, but I'm not sure Big Al and K-Love would have had chemistry, and as you mentioned, the defence would have been lack. The offensive spacing could have been awkward at time. Love can step outside, so it may have worked. And Love could have went to the post when Big Al was on the bench. They would have ate up the rebounds for sure, but on defence... that is a big deal.

They could have moved Big AL and used that pick to grab DMC or Greg Monroe.

Hayward and Paul George weren't expected to go that high, so it would have been a bold move to pick either of them.

It's hard to fault them for picking D-Will.... he was high on everybody's draft board, and the picks following him weren't terribly great.

What really killed them though was the 2009 draft. They picked two point guards, Johnny Flynn (who isn't even in the league) and Ricky Rubio (who is likely the worst shooter in the league among every starter). And the NEXT guy picked was Stephen Curry.

If they had just gone with Curry and then picked DMDR to pair with him? Or Gerald Henderson. This team would be competing for a title right now. And the thing is, Curry was high on a lot of mock drafts. A lot of people had him going ahead of Rubio and certainly ahead of Flynn.

What I wouldn't have given to see K-Love and Steph Curry playing together.
    Last edited by JasonJohnHorn; 09-07-2014 at 07:34 AM.
    Why did the chicken cross the basketball court?
    Because he heard the refs were blowing fowls.

Um Minnesota really blew it when they took Rubio/Flynn over guys like Curry, Lawson, DeRozan and Brewer over guys like Noah. I did a redraft of their picks and got a team of

Noah/Pekovic
    Love/Dieng
    George/Leonard
    DeRozan/Lavine
    Curry/Lawson

I really like their current team though and it amazes me that despite blowing it in like 4 drafts that they still have one of the most exciting teams in the league. Wiggins, Lavine, Dieng are 3 must watch players.

they really blew it in the 2009 & 2010 draft class'

they selected rubio 5th when Curry was still available. Rubio took years to come and then got injured in his first season. then with the 6th pick they selected Flynn (another pg) when AGAIN Curry was still available as well as players like Derozan, Ty Lawson, and Jrue Holiday, were still available.

then in the 2010 draft they stunk it up again selecting Wes Johnson over guys like Paul George, Cousins, Bledsoe, Monroe, Bradley, Sanders

Then in 2011 they had the 2nd pick and selected Derick Williams over guys like Kawahi Leonard, Klay Thompson, Jonas Valanciounas, Alec Burks, Kemba Walker

They did ok in 2013 selecting Try Burk and trading him to Utah for Dieng.

But yeah, the Twolves front office has been stinking it up for a while. I personnally blame that moron David Khan. They guy didnt have a clue, and set the team back for years.
    Last edited by smith&wesson; 09-07-2014 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JEDean89 View Post
    Um Minnesota really blew it when they took Rubio/Flynn over guys like Curry, Lawson, DeRozan and Brewer over guys like Noah. I did a redraft of their picks and got a team of

Noah/Pekovic
    Love/Dieng
    George/Leonard
    DeRozan/Lavine
    Curry/Lawson

I really like their current team though and it amazes me that despite blowing it in like 4 drafts that they still have one of the most exciting teams in the league. Wiggins, Lavine, Dieng are 3 must watch players.
    They are lucky that Love did the classy thing and forwarned them that he is leaving enabling them to get something for him in return. . If love was a prick like Lebron or Bosh he would have just left in free agency leaving the team with nothing in return.

Nobody wants to play in Minny its plain and simple
    LAKERS
    PACKERS
    DODGERS
    FC BARCELONA
    USC TROJANS

i don't think you can be the best front court in the NBA if you get crushed defensively; Jefferson and Love both need anchors to fill the holes in their games. they messed up in 2009, 2010, and 2011 sealed the deal.

if you're rebuilding and get 4-5 years of lottery, you need 50% of those picks to pan out to be average. you need 3/4 of them to pan out to become a championship contender. if you strike gold with 4/4 you've got something special (like OKC had before they totally blew it).

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    Quote Originally Posted by numba1CHANGsta View Post
    I don't think it's the "I don't want to play in Minny" thing, I think it's the "I've been in the lottery for eight years" things.

If they just want the championship last year, or made back-to-back trips to the finals, do you think Love would be requesting a trade?

No.

Nobody likes to lose. Especially for the better part of a decade.
    Why did the chicken cross the basketball court?
    Because he heard the refs were blowing fowls.

Quote Originally Posted by numba1CHANGsta View Post
    I am not a Minny fan but posts like this should be deleted, if this isn't trolling than i don't know what is.

Seriously, it's not like Sacramento, Oklahoma City, Milwaukee etc... are places that players love playing. OKC makes it work by winning. If they can resign Durant, Westbrook and Ibaka to their third contract they will have done something special though.

That 09 Draft set them back
    Stay Humble

Small market teams have to make every "right" decision if they want to compete. One misstep and the build is pointless. This is the way the NBA is currently set up. Funnel all the talent into 8-10 teams for TV ratings and the rest of the teams are farm teams. Sure, you'll get a Thunder from time to time who land a franchise player than draft a few more value players. The league will use those teams as an example of how any team "has a shot" in this league but in all honesty we know the truth.

A hard cap means nothing when players can sign contracts for 1/5 of their true value. If an arbitration process is implemented and players can't sign for less than 70% of their value the league will finally be competitive. Is it really that fun to watch a super team beat up on a farm team for 70% of their schedule?

Minnesota has the worst front office in the NBA.
    -never put anything around KG
    -never put anything around love
    -took Stephon instead of Ray Allen
    -couldn't keep Marburry
    -took Randy Foye over Brandon Roy
    -took Rubio and a scrub over Curry and Derozan
    -took Wesley Johnson ove Cousins
    -Got caught doing under the table deal with Joe Smith
    -took Derrick Williams over Klay Thompson and Kawai Leonard.(Not there fault but no room for era at this point)

Team could be Curry/Derozan/Leonard/Love/Cousins

Could of had KG and Ray allen in there prime together.

I cheer for them but they disgust me with the moves they have made over the years.
    Last edited by IKnowHoops; 09-08-2014 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IKnowHoops View Post
    Minnesota has the worst front office in the NBA.
    -never put anything around KG
    -never put anything around love
    -took Stephon instead of Ray Allen
    -couldn't keep Marburry
    -took Randy Foye over Brandon Roy
    -took Rubio and a scrub over Curry and Derozan
    -took Wesley Johnson ove Cousins
    -Got caught doing under the table deal with Joe Smith
    -took Derrick Williams over Klay Thompson and Kawai Leonard.(Not there fault but no room for era at this point)

Team could be Curry/Derozan/Leonard/Love/Cousins

Could of had KG and Ray allen in there prime together.

I cheer for them but they disgust me with the moves they have made over the years.
    You can make one of these for every team in the NBA. You went back to 1996 for crying out loud. Perhaps part of the reason small market teams can't surround stars with talent involves how the league is set up instead of small market teams deciding not to add talent. Kirilinko didn't take a 12M player option a few years for the wolves ago but instead decided to play for 4 million for the Nets. How do you propose small market teams surround stars with talent when 3X market value contracts are turned down?

I'm not defending the Wolves' bad moves - they've made plenty. Eventually, though, you need to ask yourself if the NBA is set up to help the bad teams or hurt them. Right now it's set up to hurt them.

A hard cap means nothing when players can sign contracts for 1/5 of their true value. If an arbitration process is implemented and players can't sign for less than 70% of their value the league will finally be competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by WSU Tony View Post
    You can make one of these for every team in the NBA. You went back to 1996 for crying out loud. Perhaps part of the reason small market teams can't surround stars with talent involves how the league is set up instead of small market teams deciding not to add talent. Kirilinko didn't take a 12M player option a few years for the wolves ago but instead decided to play for 4 million for the Nets. How do you propose small market teams surround stars with talent when 3X market value contracts are turned down?

I'm not defending the Wolves' bad moves - they've made plenty. Eventually, though, you need to ask yourself if the NBA is set up to help the bad teams or hurt them. Right now it's set up to hurt them.

A hard cap means nothing when players can sign contracts for 1/5 of their true value. If an arbitration process is implemented and players can't sign for less than 70% of their value the league will finally be competitive.
    My point is that Wolves could of easily been the Thunder, or the Grizzlies, or the Blazers, or the Warriors, or the Raptors, but Minnesota passed on Cousins, passed on Paul George, passed on Bledsoe, passed on Brandon Roy, passed on Steph Curry, Passed on Klay Thompson. They have been in the lottery for the majority of there franchise and they have only hit on two draft picks. They suck at drafting. regardless of what you want to say about small market teams, I can't make a list that bad for OKC, Blazers, or even the Cavs. The Wolves absolutely suck at drafting and yes they are a small market team, but they are the worst small market team. Them and the Bucks. But most would say that the Bucks have had a horrible front office too.
    Last edited by IKnowHoops; 09-08-2014 at 03:21 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast