Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 261 of 262 FirstFirst ... 161211251259260261262 LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,915 of 3919
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    Could be useful then. Thanks for the Intel.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    i love reading Manuel's stuff because he goes to see guys personally, and he'll often double back on guys who had a poor weekend just to not misread a player. the best thing about him is that he will jump in the comments section and converse with the fans especially if he's spoken with you before. he remembers names and teams you follow.

one time i commented to Keith Law on Espn insider and quoted Johns scouting report on mets prospect Luis Guilorme, and the next morning he emailed me for crediting him as the source, since as he says, fans almost never do that. I just couldnt believe he had kept my email address and remembered my name.

he's a twins fan originally, but he knows the minors like nobody else. I personally think the Mets should hire him as GM, at least they'd have someone who would know the players then

Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    Playoff MVP and elite prospect are two very different things and should not be confused for one another. One means he had a very good 2 week stretch, the other means he's got the skills to be an above average MLB player. Ramirez had a great semifinals, but didn't do that much in the finals. In their first series he was 6 for 11 with a 2B, 3B, SB and 3 BB's. He also scored 6 runs and drove in 3 more. That is why he was their playoff MVP.

Schneider must have been talking about Wall, as Spanberger was in Dunedin. He wasn't very good in the semi-finals, but he had a solid final going 4 for 10 with 2 BB's, a 2B and a SB over the 3 game sweep. He also scored 3 runs and drove in 2 more. Most of the others used up all their hits in the semi's. In that 3 game sweep against Trenton when Ramirez did all his damage, Bichette was also 6 for 13 with 5 runs score and 2 RBI's and Biggio was 4 for 10 with 2 SB's, a 2B and 3 BB's. He also scored 2 runs and drove in 7. That was murderers row for the Trenton pitching staff.

Speaking of solid playoffs from a recent acquisition, Corey Copping (The guy from the Axford trade) was lights out in his 2 appearances too. He racked up 6 K's with 0 BB's and 2 Hits over his 3 scoreless innings. Pretty exciting for someone who throws as hard as Copping does. He has future back end reliever written all over him and like another potential steal considering they traded 2 months of Axford for him.
    If Schneider ends up manager Ramirez odds of making rise bigtime. He was extremely high on him. Called him very upbeat

Schneider wouldn't be the worst choice for a young team that is going to be full of this next wave of young home grown players. He already has a relationship with most of our top prospects,including Davis, Biggio, Bichette and Vladdy.

Ramirez may make it to the show, I just don't know if he is going to fit on this team. The increased power was nice, but either that or his walk rate (or both) need to improve before I would consider him an elite offensive OF prospect.

Ramirez may make it to the show, I just don't know if he is going to fit on this team. The increased power was nice, but either that or his walk rate (or both) need to improve before I would consider him an elite offensive OF prospect.
    agreed, the pirates said the same when they traded him, here we are 3 years later and people are still trying to sell him as a prospect. 3 years ago Baseball america had him as their #95 prospect and he's nowhere to be seen now. he's been in AA for 3 full years. youd think if he had any real prospect value he'd have at least sniffed AAA.

We'll know when he hits AAA whether he will make it or not. I think he will at least sniff the majors. He'll need to hit right away like Travis did to stay though.

I think he may have improved his trade value for them though. He was still only 23 this year and he literally doubled his HR and his 2B totals from the season before while leading the Eastern League in batting average and swiping 16 bases (in 18 attempts). In an age where hitters like to go hot and cold, he also hit over .300 with an OBP over .350 every month starting in May. So there are definitely things to like.

I know he hurt himself after his first game in NH when they traded for him in 2016, and looking at his career 2017 is the outlier and not the norm. In 4 out of his last 5 seasons he has hit over .300 with an OBP over .360, so I could see 2017 being written off due to injury.

I think he still has potential because with me it all starts and ends with the hit tool with position players, he just needs a little more OBP or power to get that OPS north of .900 so he can play LF.

I think he still has potential because with me it all starts and ends with the hit tool with position players
    This.

I think he may have improved his trade value for them though. He was still only 23 this year and he literally doubled his HR and his 2B totals from the season before while leading the Eastern League in batting average and swiping 16 bases (in 18 attempts). In an age where hitters like to go hot and cold, he also hit over .300 with an OBP over .350 every month starting in May. So there are definitely things to like.

I know he hurt himself after his first game in NH when they traded for him in 2016, and looking at his career 2017 is the outlier and not the norm. In 4 out of his last 5 seasons he has hit over .300 with an OBP over .360, so I could see 2017 being written off due to injury.

I think he still has potential because with me it all starts and ends with the hit tool with position players, he just needs a little more OBP or power to get that OPS north of .900 so he can play LF.
    a guy who hits a weak .300 with 10 HR power who has averaged 50 RBI and is still in AA, and who plays a premium position isnt a prospect

for his career he averages 4 hrs and 42 rbi a season the one thing he can do is get on base but no winning team has a regular outfielder that averages 4 HR 42 RBI with the possible exception of Billy Hamilton who is an attrocious hitter but at least he steals 45 bases a year and is the best defensive outfielder rangewise in baseball.

if you think a 24 year old who is still in AA is a real prospect then your standards are extremely low

Quote Originally Posted by mikepelfrey View Post
    a guy who hits a weak .300 with 10 HR power who has averaged 50 RBI and is still in AA, and who plays a premium position isnt a prospect

for his career he averages 4 hrs and 42 rbi a season the one thing he can do is get on base but no winning team has a regular outfielder that averages 4 HR 42 RBI with the possible exception of Billy Hamilton who is an attrocious hitter but at least he steals 45 bases a year and is the best defensive outfielder rangewise in baseball.

if you think a 24 year old who is still in AA is a real prospect then your standards are extremely low
    If he didn't get screwed in 2017 by a log jam in the AAA outfield , that's where he would have started that season. His numbers were good enough in 2016 to deserve a promotion.

I still don't think he's elite yet or anything, but hitting .320 with waaay more power than ever before was a nice step in the right direction. If the power goes up another notch while still hitting over .300, then he may still become a "real" OF prospect.

If he didn't get screwed in 2017 by a log jam in the AAA outfield , that's where he would have started that season. His numbers were good enough in 2016 to deserve a promotion.

I still don't think he's elite yet or anything, but hitting .320 with waaay more power than ever before was a nice step in the right direction. If the power goes up another notch while still hitting over .300, then he may still become a "real" OF prospect.
    doubling your hr output sounds great until you realize he was in AA and he only hit 11, and that he's older than most of prospects he plays against, your not saying he's elite? im saying he had should have done better to be a real prospect.

if your not good enough to "force your way on to a AAA roster" for 3 years, how much of a real prospect can you be. And I wasnt aware we had Aaron Judge, Bryce Harper, and Giancarlo Stanton in our AAA outfield 3 years running.I thought we had Alford, Pompey, and Smith. if you cant beat out even one of them, how good can you be?

the pirates dis missed him as a real prospect 3 years ago. this is called grasping at straws.... at least grichuk has periods of big league talent. that I can see making a case for, in the hope he finally finds consistancy, but Ramirez? come on
    Last edited by mikepelfrey; 10-10-2018 at 05:43 PM.

The hell are you even going on about? Nobody ever said he was top prospect. By definition they are all “real prospects”. You’re ****ing yelling at clouds. He was brought up because HIS MANAGER had the highest praise for him following the playoffs.

12. 10-10-2018, 09:50 PM
    Reason
    Insults - Rush

Schneider wouldn't be the worst choice for a young team that is going to be full of this next wave of young home grown players. He already has a relationship with most of our top prospects,including Davis, Biggio, Bichette and Vladdy.

Hope Schneider gets a shot with big club. Sounds like a bright baseball guy.

14. 10-11-2018, 08:41 AM
    Reason
    Response to a deleted post - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
    Hope Schneider gets a shot with big club. Sounds like a bright baseball guy.
    Good to see him get on as a bench coach or something. I don’t know much about him but he seems likeable and savvy, according to the guys on ATL.

Quote Originally Posted by mikepelfrey View Post
    doubling your hr output sounds great until you realize he was in AA and he only hit 11, and that he's older than most of prospects he plays against, your not saying he's elite? im saying he had should have done better to be a real prospect.

if your not good enough to "force your way on to a AAA roster" for 3 years, how much of a real prospect can you be. And I wasnt aware we had Aaron Judge, Bryce Harper, and Giancarlo Stanton in our AAA outfield 3 years running.I thought we had Alford, Pompey, and Smith. if you cant beat out even one of them, how good can you be?

the pirates dis missed him as a real prospect 3 years ago. this is called grasping at straws.... at least grichuk has periods of big league talent. that I can see making a case for, in the hope he finally finds consistancy, but Ramirez? come on
    He wasn't good enough to automatically dethrone our top OF prospect, someone who had already made it to the bug leagues or Dwight Smith...who had already been held back once and just hit a career high 15 HR's with 24 2B's with a .765 OPS. That doesn't mean he can't be better than them now....

The biggest difference between Ramirez 3 years ago and Ramirez now is....3 years ago he didn't hit 37 doubles. He didn't just double his HR's, he doubled his HR's and his 2B's. If not for a phenom named Bo Bichette (who had 76 more AB's and 6 more 2B's), he would have led the Eastern League in 2B's. (..on top of leading the league in batting average.)

All I am saying is that kind of jump make me take notice. Just like the power spikes have caused us all to take more notice of Cavan Biggio and Kevin Smith. You make it sound like he's 28. He will be hitting AAA at 24.

However, the Jays are going to have to make some decisions on the prospects to keep and the ones to trade this off season. They really have 7 OF's who should be in AAA:

Hernandez- his glove needs more work if he is going to be an everyday OF in the big leagues and not a DH.
    Alford
    Davis
    Smith Jr
    Ramirez
    McKinney
    Pompey
    Fields

Many of those guys could be used as 4th outfielders next season, but I don't think any of them are quite ready for an everyday spot as a corner OF in the AL East. Hernandez is close, but he still needs to work on his OBP and his defense.

I know they want to hang on to as many assets as they can, but they really need to clean out that AAA roster. I would be moving the guys on the 40 man like DSJ, Pompey and McKinney. Jonathan Davis with his ability to play CF and steal a base would be my 4th OF in the big leagues, and I would let Ramirez, Alford and Hernandez roam the OF in AAA everyday.

He wasn't good enough to automatically dethrone our top OF prospect, someone who had already made it to the bug leagues or Dwight Smith...who had already been held back once and just hit a career high 15 HR's with 24 2B's with a .765 OPS. That doesn't mean he can't be better than them now....

The biggest difference between Ramirez 3 years ago and Ramirez now is....3 years ago he didn't hit 37 doubles. He didn't just double his HR's, he doubled his HR's and his 2B's. If not for a phenom named Bo Bichette (who had 76 more AB's and 6 more 2B's), he would have led the Eastern League in 2B's. (..on top of leading the league in batting average.)

All I am saying is that kind of jump make me take notice. Just like the power spikes have caused us all to take more notice of Cavan Biggio and Kevin Smith. You make it sound like he's 28. He will be hitting AAA at 24.

However, the Jays are going to have to make some decisions on the prospects to keep and the ones to trade this off season. They really have 7 OF's who should be in AAA:

Hernandez- his glove needs more work if he is going to be an everyday OF in the big leagues and not a DH.
    Alford
    Davis
    Smith Jr
    Ramirez
    McKinney
    Pompey
    Fields

Many of those guys could be used as 4th outfielders next season, but I don't think any of them are quite ready for an everyday spot as a corner OF in the AL East. Hernandez is close, but he still needs to work on his OBP and his defense.

I know they want to hang on to as many assets as they can, but they really need to clean out that AAA roster. I would be moving the guys on the 40 man like DSJ, Pompey and McKinney. Jonathan Davis with his ability to play CF and steal a base would be my 4th OF in the big leagues, and I would let Ramirez, Alford and Hernandez roam the OF in AAA everyday.
    Yeah, I just can't see Hernandez being in the OF on a competing Jays teams. We don't really see players that are that bad with the glove improving defensively. Eric Thames was pretty atrocious in the outfield and was signed by the Brewers to play 1B. I think IF Hernandez has a spot on this team it won't be in LF, it would either be at 1B or DH and it is a stretch to think that will happen unless he sustains the production that he had at the beginning of the season.

I think we're more likely to see the last part of your post in that Hernandez's ceiling is probably to roam the OF of an AAA squad. DSJ or maybe Alford (if he can't progress) might be the most likely of becoming the 4 outfielder. Personally I could see Biggio patrolling the LF for the Jays if he actually makes it to the show.