Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 356 of 371 FirstFirst ... 256306346354355356357358366 ... LastLast
Results 5,326 to 5,340 of 5560
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    And then a ton of undrafted FA?
    I can't remember where I read it. It was Jays Journal or TSN I think. But the article said that many high schoolers might avoid this year's draft and many college players might players pull out of the draft because they are getting a year of eligibility back.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderdan22 View Post
    I can't remember where I read it. It was Jays Journal or TSN I think. But the article said that many high schoolers might avoid this year's draft and many college players might players pull out of the draft because they are getting a year of eligibility back.
    Still the Undrafted FA market will be poppin. Our reputation for development over the least 10+ years could be a huge advantage there. Hopefully some good Canadian prospects are available.

Still the Undrafted FA market will be poppin. Our reputation for development over the least 10+ years could be a huge advantage there. Hopefully some good Canadian prospects are available.
    I think they'll need to be willing to spend a little, but yeah, this could be great for us.

I've been out of the loop lately, is the draft still going to go ahead as usual?

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
    I've been out of the loop lately, is the draft still going to go ahead as usual?
    I believe it will only be 5 rounds this year.

I believe it will only be 5 rounds this year.
    Thanks Chong.

So what's everyone's wish list for the draft?

In order mine is:

Martin
    Torkelson
    Lacy
    Gonzales
    Hancock
    Meyer
    Veen

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
    Thanks Chong.

So what's everyone's wish list for the draft?

In order mine is:

Martin
    Torkelson
    Lacy
    Gonzales
    Hancock
    Meyer
    Veen
    For me - just position players.
    Id rather be a few pitchers away than a few positional players away.
    If we are contending, there are always a couple great pitchers available at the deadline. That is not necessarily true about positional players (example - a 5 war CF or 3B or catcher or SS or whatever... sometimes there are just none available. Certainly not the top end talent. Whereas it seems like there is always Aces and closers being shopped at the deadline). Trading for premier positional players is more about pouncing on a rare opportunity, but trading for pitching is all about bolstering your staff for the stretch run.

For me - just position players.
    Id rather be a few pitchers away than a few positional players away.
    If we are contending, there are always a couple great pitchers available at the deadline. That is not necessarily true about positional players (example - a 5 war CF or 3B or catcher or SS or whatever... sometimes there are just none available. Certainly not the top end talent. Whereas it seems like there is always Aces and closers being shopped at the deadline). Trading for premier positional players is more about pouncing on a rare opportunity, but trading for pitching is all about bolstering your staff for the stretch run.

I want them to take the BPA. I get wanting a bat but I wouldn't draft one just to draft one. If Martin, Tork and Gonzales are off the board when we pick, I hope they take Lacy. There's been some rumblings linking us to Zac Veen lately but I don't know much about him

With no baseball being played, the mock drafts aren't changing a whole lot right now and I'm not sure how much that will change in the coming weeks, but we are getting closer to the draft now. Seems like on all mock drafts Tork/Martin/Lacy are going 1-3. The Royals 4th pick changes often, but most mocks leave us with one of the following. Here is my take:

Emerson Hancock: 4 plus pitches, good mechanics and command. Previously considered a lock for a Top3 pick but had a slow start to the season before it was shut down. Ace potential.

Zac Veen: Pretty much unanimously considered the best high school bat available. Great looking swing from the left side with strong hit tool. 6'4 with projectible power. Currently playing CF but may need to move to RF. Great arm, decent speed. Might be highest ceiling in the draft, but as a HS player there is a long way to go and more risk. Upside comparisons reference Yelich and Bellinger. Big time risk/reward pick.

Nick Gonzales: Outstanding hit tool. Currently playing SS, but will need to move to 2B. Not known for his defensive ability and and power might not come, but he'll hit for a high average. Very polished college bat.

Max Meyer: Best slider and fastball combination in college. Both are graded 70 by some scouts. Dominated the start of the season this year (last three starts he struck out a combined 39 batters). Fastball has gained 12 mph since high school and maxed out at 101 this year. Only 6'0 tall, has some scouts concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    With no baseball being played, the mock drafts aren't changing a whole lot right now and I'm not sure how much that will change in the coming weeks, but we are getting closer to the draft now. Seems like on all mock drafts Tork/Martin/Lacy are going 1-3. The Royals 4th pick changes often, but most mocks leave us with one of the following. Here is my take:

Emerson Hancock: 4 plus pitches, good mechanics and command. Previously considered a lock for a Top3 pick but had a slow start to the season before it was shut down. Ace potential.

Zac Veen: Pretty much unanimously considered the best high school bat available. Great looking swing from the left side with strong hit tool. 6'4 with projectible power. Currently playing CF but may need to move to RF. Great arm, decent speed. Might be highest ceiling in the draft, but as a HS player there is a long way to go and more risk. Upside comparisons reference Yelich and Bellinger. Big time risk/reward pick.

Nick Gonzales: Outstanding hit tool. Currently playing SS, but will need to move to 2B. Not known for his defensive ability and and power might not come, but he'll hit for a high average. Very polished college bat.

Max Meyer: Best slider and fastball combination in college. Both are graded 70 by some scouts. Dominated the start of the season this year (last three starts he struck out a combined 39 batters). Fastball has gained 12 mph since high school and maxed out at 101 this year. Only 6'0 tall, has some scouts concerned.
    Of that list, give me veen.

Of that list, give me veen.
    Veen would be a guy to dream on. I would be very comfortable with the pick.

I think my order of those 4 is:

Hancock (I think him falling due to a very small sample size at the start of the year might be an overreaction).
    Veen
    Meyer
    Gonzalez (I know his numbers are ridiculous but I'm concerned he wont have as high a ceiling as the others).

One week away from the draft. Most experts have us going the college pitcher route with either Hancock or Meyer. I'm fascinated to watch a sports event again, even if it not live games yet.

Ya i'm interested to watch the draft too. I'm a take the best player available type of guy, but I'd love to see them start to supplement the youngs bats with more high upside arms.

The Lost Boys of PSD

Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post
    Ya i'm interested to watch the draft too. I'm a take the best player available type of guy, but I'd love to see them start to supplement the youngs bats with more high upside arms.
    Yah, that's my general thought as well. I'm not going to pretend to know who the BPA will actually be; it is just so hard to weigh college vs. high school talent and project development through the minors. But if the Jays try to get cute and find an underslot agreement to get more money later in the draft, I'll be concerned. There are rumours of the Orioles trying to do that at #2, which could mean someone exciting could fall. I'm already excited Hancock might fall. I hope they just take the guy they think will have the best big league career and pay the full slot if necessary to lock him in. No screwing around at #5.

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    Yah, that's my general thought as well. I'm not going to pretend to know who the BPA will actually be; it is just so hard to weigh college vs. high school talent and project development through the minors. But if the Jays try to get cute and find an underslot agreement to get more money later in the draft, I'll be concerned. There are rumours of the Orioles trying to do that at #2, which could mean someone exciting could fall. I'm already excited Hancock might fall. I hope they just take the guy they think will have the best big league career and pay the full slot if necessary to lock him in. No screwing around at #5.
    100% #5 has high potential to be a cornerstone player and it's really important not to **** this up.

The Lost Boys of PSD