Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 408 of 414 FirstFirst ... 308358398406407408409410 ... LastLast
Results 6,106 to 6,120 of 6202
    Quote Originally Posted by town123 View Post
    When I looked back on the playoffs last year, Kirk was about the only guy on the team that could hit the heater. His bat speed is on par with Vladdy, although not as good a hitter. (yet)

Why trade him?
    I donít totally agree with the conclusion, but the idea is that catchers are VERY rarely good hitters at the ML level. So pick the best defensive catcher and cash in on the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by town123 View Post
    When I looked back on the playoffs last year, Kirk was about the only guy on the team that could hit the heater. His bat speed is on par with Vladdy, although not as good a hitter. (yet)

Why trade him?
    Don't think so

Average Exit Velocity

Vlady 99th percentile
    Kirk 65th percentile

Quote Originally Posted by hanton View Post
    Don't think so

Average Exit Velocity

Vlady 99th percentile
    Kirk 65th percentile
    Sample size though?

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Sample size though?
    Hmm... It's an average though but possiblly. What sets Kirk apart as a hitter is his plate coverage and keeping the bat in the hitting zone, swinging through the ball. Jansen is the opposite of Kirk lol

It's really too bad he got hurt, could impact his entire season.

omg, just use your eyes people. Kirk doesn't have any where near the "bat speed" that Vladdy does. What he does have though is a very short and compact swing that allows him to hit elite velo. (NOTE: This is one of the benefits of having short arms in baseball.) His small stature also makes his strike zone smaller to cover. So you have a small strike zone and compact swing without a lot of moving part with your hands always inside the baseball. Then on top of that it is a level swing that stays in the zone a long time. Sounds like a pretty good recipe for success to me if you want to hit for a high average. Combine that with the ability to hit the ball for power to right field and he has potential to be really dangerous.

What's crazy is that he was able to look that good at the plate way overweight. This off season he also shed a bunch of the excess fat just like Vladdy (and before him a young Roberto Osuna before he came out of nowhere to win a bullpen job) to get more athletic in all aspects of the game, but due to this early injury though we haven't really gotten to see the new Kirk. He was just heating up when he got hurt, and even with his slow start at the dish though he was producing an .800 OPS. .......which would make him a top 10 offensive catcher (among the guys that play regularly).

So there is definitely plenty of things to get excited about wrt to Kirks hitting, but having Vladdy type bat speed isn't one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    omg, just use your eyes people. Kirk doesn't have any where near the "bat speed" that Vladdy does. What he does have though is a very short and compact swing that allows him to hit elite velo. (NOTE: This is one of the benefits of having short arms in baseball.) His small stature also makes his strike zone smaller to cover. So you have a small strike zone and compact swing without a lot of moving part with your hands always inside the baseball. Then on top of that it is a level swing that stays in the zone a long time. Sounds like a pretty good recipe for success to me if you want to hit for a high average. Combine that with the ability to hit the ball for power to right field and he has potential to be really dangerous.

What's crazy is that he was able to look that good at the plate way overweight. This off season he also shed a bunch of the excess fat just like Vladdy (and before him a young Roberto Osuna before he came out of nowhere to win a bullpen job) to get more athletic in all aspects of the game, but due to this early injury though we haven't really gotten to see the new Kirk. He was just heating up when he got hurt, and even with his slow start at the dish though he was producing an .800 OPS. .......which would make him a top 10 offensive catcher (among the guys that play regularly).

So there is definitely plenty of things to get excited about wrt to Kirks hitting, but having Vladdy type bat speed isn't one of them.
    An .800 OPS would probably have him as the best offensive catcher this year by years end.
    Reason for optimism - yes.
    Reason to expect a drop off - also yes.

Itís risk reward.

I would personally hold onto him because if you add an offensive catcher then you can legit have the best offence of all time. Those guys are probably the hardest thing in the league to find. Every season there is 1 or 2 good hitters that play catcher. And they get paid.

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    An .800 OPS would probably have him as the best offensive catcher this year by years end.
    Reason for optimism - yes.
    Reason to expect a drop off - also yes.

Itís risk reward.

I would personally hold onto him because if you add an offensive catcher then you can legit have the best offence of all time. Those guys are probably the hardest thing in the league to find. Every season there is 1 or 2 good hitters that play catcher. And they get paid.
    Thereís like 8 this year currently over 800 with a couple of others really close. Look at Grandalís stats, weird stuff going on there. Batting just 150 with an OPS over 800. 45 walks and 17 hits.

Baseball America had their new Top 100 out:

Austin Martin - 15
    Gabriel Moreno - 36
    Alek Manoah - 37
    Nate Pearson - 38
    SWR - 52
    Groshans - 56
    Kirk - 63
    Martinez - 83

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

previous rankings

Martin 15
    Pearson 16

Groshans 27

SWR 59
    kirk 60

Manoah 92
    Moreno 100

Moreno and Manoah are way up. Martinez was probably in the 100-150 range so he's also up.

Pearson falling fast

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
    Baseball America had their new Top 100 out:

Austin Martin - 15
    Gabriel Moreno - 36
    Alek Manoah - 37
    Nate Pearson - 38
    SWR - 52
    Groshans - 56
    Kirk - 63
    Martinez - 83

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Hoping for 4 or 5 MLB contributors from that list. Maybe 2 all stars if we are lucky.
    Thatís optimism not pessimism. That would be a HUGE coup.

10 Top 100 prospects pushing for promotions

Simeon Woods Richardson, RHP, Blue Jays (No. 4, MLB No. 72)
    This isnít Alek Manoah levels of dominance in the Minors, but with every coming start, Woods Richardson builds a case that he should get to Triple-A Buffalo on his own soon. The 20-year-old right-hander has allow one earned run or fewer in four of his five starts with Double-A New Hampshire, resulting in a 2.25 ERA. He has fanned 36 in 24 innings and 36.7 percent of the batters he faced Ė again right in line with Greeneís 37.0 percent mark at the same level prior to his promotion. Woods Richardson would have even more innings on his resume, had he not represented Team USA in the Olympic Qualifiers earlier this month. The fact that he was chosen for that squad Ė and that the Jays allowed him to go compete with a team littered with other top prospects and former Major Leaguers Ė tell us how advanced the right-hander is.
    https://www.mlb.com/news/10-top-100-...eline-coverage

Sick of this, bring them home to Rogers Centre - we are nearing the end of the pandemic anyway. make an exception and bring the team home

Just realized the draft is coming up in a few weeks. Seems to come quickly. We have pick 19 this year. Hard to really project which way we go. I'm inclined to think they'll need to keep stocking this system up with arms.

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    Just realized the draft is coming up in a few weeks. Seems to come quickly. We have pick 19 this year. Hard to really project which way we go. I'm inclined to think they'll need to keep stocking this system up with arms.
    This year is going to be the biggest crap shoot draft ever.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    This year is going to be the biggest crap shoot draft ever.
    I've heard/read almost nothing about the draft class. I'm curious how much information the scouts even have on some of these guys.