Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 265 of 265 FirstFirst ... 165215255263264265
Results 3,961 to 3,971 of 3971
    Quote Originally Posted by hanton View Post
    I like it but your numbers may be off. I think the total would be way over 195M including eating Tulo and Martin's contracts.

current obligations including arb's ~100M add (Harper, Morton, Keuchel and Happ) = $195M + the buyouts. Plus I'm not sure if we would be in the hunt for Harper - hope they try though
    Sorry, when i first did the numbers i didnt have Smoak.. With him they would actually be around 138 before the money given out to move Tulo, Martin and Morales..(Everyone in my previous post without a dollar amount is a rookie, so you can ballpark each of them at 500K. )

All of Tulo's salary next season would be 20M, half of Martin is 10M ( I said eat half not all of his deal) and half of Morales is 6M. So you would be closer to 175, not 165. My bad. So they would also need to trade Smoak to sign all those guys..and stay around 165.

Note: if you only eat half of Martin's and Morales' salary the current commitments would go down to approx 84M. Trading Diaz for a rookie pitcher gets them to around 82.5M. If they also trade away Pillar they prob save another 5M (or more).

Tulo is also already part of the current 100M projection, so paying his salary next season at some point to move him doesnt make the number go up.
    Last edited by bartron_44; 11-18-2018 at 07:40 PM.

Conine suspended for 50 games for stims

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderdan22 View Post
    Conine suspended for 50 games for stims
    That's ok we got 4 more sons of former major league players

Could the Jays instantly morph their bullpen into something pretty special with Murphy, McClelland, Copping and Bergen? Those 4 with Giles, Tepera and Mayza would be nasty....

I think it is far too dangerous to expose Copping, McClelland and Bergen in the rule 5 draft. Relievers can be hidden in bullpens if needed in order to keep them on a major league roster, but I have feeling that wouldn't even be necessary with any of those guys. I think the 3 of them are better than any 3 relievers they will find via FA or trade this off season, and they wouldn't have to give up anything to get them. They need to move a few of the guys wasting spots on the 40 man like Travis, Urena, DSJ and Pompey before the rule 5 draft and protect them. Losing any of them would be a major mistake.

Isnít it too late to protect people?

I was thinking the same thing about the pen. I think we have some promising bp arms you mentioned as well as some of the sp prospects recently acquired that wonít work out as starters and hopefully can stick in the pen.
    Iím not particularly high on any of Pannone , srf, Paulino, or the others acquired via trade as starters. I think they are high risk and/or low ceiling types.

Pearson missing a whole year hurt

Quote Originally Posted by wamco View Post
    Isnít it too late to protect people?

I was thinking the same thing about the pen. I think we have some promising bp arms you mentioned as well as some of the sp prospects recently acquired that wonít work out as starters and hopefully can stick in the pen.
    Iím not particularly high on any of Pannone , srf, Paulino, or the others acquired via trade as starters. I think they are high risk and/or low ceiling types.

Pearson missing a whole year hurt
    I think your right about it being too late........ If we lose a bullpen stud for an infielder or OF we hope we never play I am going to be pissed. Not protecting Copping or Bergen are 2 very big risks. So is not protecting McClelland. I none of them have spent any real time in AAA, but they are all pretty decent bullpen arms to simply hope nobody takes.

I wasnít happy w protection of solarte or Pompey at all. Made no sense to me

Quote Originally Posted by wamco View Post
    I wasnít happy w protection of solarte or Pompey at all. Made no sense to me
    Yeah. Solarte makes no sense. Why wouldnít you protect someone else if you knew he was going to be non tendered anyway? Bad move there.

And to respond to above. It is too late to protect anyone else from rule 5.

Chavez Young is one of the most interesting prospects we have...and somehow he doesn't make the milb top 30?The guy could throw 98 mph from the OF in High School, he plays all 3 OF positions and he was the only player in the minor leagues to have 50+ extra base hits and 40+ SB's in 2018. He hit 3rd in Lansing's batting order and he also had 58 BB's. He stole 20 bases (in 22 attempts) over his final 32 games coming down the stretch. He looks the part of an everyday MLB outfielder.

Ryan Noda is still being massively underrated too. Just scraping our top 30 after posting an OPS north of .900 with 20 HR's and an OBP of .421 (..in what most considered a "down year") is absurd. Take Vlad out of the equation and he had the highest OBP and OPS over a full season in the entire system. He was also 3rd in the system with those 20 HR's behind Cavan Biggio (26) and Kevin Smith (25).

Samad Taylor shouldn't be overlooked either. The kid was unlucky and only hit .228 (with a .319 OBP) this season, but at age 20 he had 48 extra base hits (9 HR's), 44 SB's (in 60 attempts) and 57 BB's. He could still bounce back and develop into a very solid all around player.

I expect these names to really start jumping up our top 30 next year..

Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    Chavez Young is one of the most interesting prospects we have...and somehow he doesn't make the milb top 30?The guy could throw 98 mph from the OF in High School, he plays all 3 OF positions and he was the only player in the minor leagues to have 50+ extra base hits and 40+ SB's in 2018. He hit 3rd in Lansing's batting order and he also had 58 BB's. He stole 20 bases (in 22 attempts) over his final 32 games coming down the stretch. He looks the part of an everyday MLB outfielder.

Ryan Noda is still being massively underrated too. Just scraping our top 30 after posting an OPS north of .900 with 20 HR's and an OBP of .421 (..in what most considered a "down year") is absurd. Take Vlad out of the equation and he had the highest OBP and OPS over a full season in the entire system. He was also 3rd in the system with those 20 HR's behind Cavan Biggio (26) and Kevin Smith (25).

Samad Taylor shouldn't be overlooked either. The kid was unlucky and only hit .228 (with a .319 OBP) this season, but at age 20 he had 48 extra base hits (9 HR's), 44 SB's (in 60 attempts) and 57 BB's. He could still bounce back and develop into a very solid all around player.

I expect these names to really start jumping up our top 30 next year..
    Interesting thanks for posting. Young was drafted in the 39th round so maybe he just needs to make a little more noise.

This summary of why Realmuto is so valuable helped me understand why everyone is so excited about Jansen. i think he is absolutely capable of the below if he keeps developing.

"Playing in 125 games last season, Realmuto batted .277/.340/.484, numbers that work out to 26 percent better than league average after adjusting for pitcher-friendly Marlins Park. Combine those excellent offensive numbers with defensive contributions that rated right at league average according to Baseball Prospectus' Fielding Runs Above Average (which counts pitch-framing, pitch-blocking, and throwing stats), and you get a very good catcher."