Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 243 of 260 FirstFirst ... 143193233241242243244245253 ... LastLast
Results 3,631 to 3,645 of 3895
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
    Never heard. But hope not our record with our first round picks in last 10 years has been terrible. I hope not another one. From DJ Davis, David Cooper to Deck McGuire, Chad Jenkins, Asher W., Hoffman, Harris. In last 10 years our only first pick to make it is Sanchez. Then he isn't setting world on fire
    You forgot about Stroman (who was the comp for not getting Beede). It is pretty amazing though just how bad their record on first round picks has been over the last decade. They also drafted Pentecost after no getting Bickford, but it isn't looking very good for him right now. Not signing 2 first round picks in 3 years is unheard of.

If you look back though... in between Hoffman and Pentecost the Mets drafted Conforto. Later on in that 2014 draft (in which they had 2 selections in the top 11) there was also (pick number in brakets):

Trea Turner - (13)
    Eric Fedde- (18)
    Bradley Zimmer- (21)
    Matt Chapman- (25)
    Luke Weaver- (27)
    Justus Sheffield- (31)
    Michael Kopech- (33)
    Jack Flaherty- (34)

They had their pick of Corey Seager, Michael Wacha, Jose Berrios in 2012 too when they took DJ Davis. Imagine they took one of them along with Stroman and two of the above guys instead of Hoffman and Pentecost...

Hopefully guys like Groshans and Warmoth pan out. We really need to start hitting on some first round picks. The one thing AA did do was realize which prospects were going to be impact major league ball players and which one weren't once they got into the system. Sometimes you have to give talent to get talent (like the Dickey trade), but for the most part when he traded specs he got rid of future fringe/average MLB players and got back current proven/solid MLB talent. The problem with that model is that proven players are either already making good money, or they will be very shortly. You can only add so many of those types of players before the cost becomes too high.

Bichette is 3-5 with a 2B and his 8th long ball. He is really heating up over the past 30 days or so.

Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    Bichette is 3-5 with a 2B and his 8th long ball. He is really heating up over the past 30 days or so.
    Hmm..........

I wonder what Bichette has done to adjust. Does anyone know if he's made any changes to his mechanics?

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    I wonder what Bichette has done to adjust. Does anyone know if he's made any changes to his mechanics?
    my first answer was going to be something like "wouldn't it be just like a spoiled son of a major leaguer to have more than one mechanic". then i thought, no, let's go with something like "yeah, i heard he is using Donny now on 5th street" or something like that.

but honestly, no i have not read anything. can't help you there.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

I dont think anything was broken in his swing, he just wasnt white hot right out of the gate like Vladdy was. He already has a great 2 strike approach, he's just aggressive early in counts.

Like to see a pitcher fast track thru our system like Bieder has done with Indians. If we get a guy who can do it, then deal a Happ for a Sheffield. Boroucki makes our rotation for next year. With SRF in AAA and Romano, give us some depth.

When is Pearson back?

Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    I dont think anything was broken in his swing, he just wasnt white hot right out of the gate like Vladdy was. He already has a great 2 strike approach, he's just aggressive early in counts.
    I don't remember where I read it (perhaps sportsnet.ca), but he admitted to pressing too much early on and becoming pull happy because he wasn't hitting homeruns. He has since gone back to just trying to hit the ball hard and letting the power take care of itself (paraphrasing).

Quote Originally Posted by T.O. Fan View Post
    I don't remember where I read it (perhaps sportsnet.ca), but he admitted to pressing too much early on and becoming pull happy because he wasn't hitting homeruns. He has since gone back to just trying to hit the ball hard and letting the power take care of itself (paraphrasing).
    Makes sense. One of his best tools is his ability to hit the ball out from foul pole to foul pole though, so I am glad to see him get back to that. It is the reason he is normally able to hit for such a high average. As he matures physically he is going to be a beast.

Speaking of beasts...

Kevin Smith had his 4th multi hit game in a row (and 5th in his last 6 games) last night going 2-5 with a bomb. Over that stretch he is 12 for 29 with 3 doubles, a triple and a HR to raise his average from .278 back up to .311 in Dunedin. For the season now overall he is hitting .338/.393/.593 with 13 HR's, 5 triples and 28 doubles in 302 AB's. He also has 15 SB's in 17 attempts.

Ryan Noda was 3-4 with his 16th 2B and another BB to kick off July after hitting 350/.419/.763 in June with 9 HR's and 27 RBI's (in 21 games).

In the DSL Miguel Hiraldo is hitting .366/.429/.559 and Jhon Solarte (also 17) is a CF hitting .337/.445/.424 with 11 SB's in 13 attempts.

So according to reports we signed the 7th ranked international free agent. 17 yr old Shortstop from Dominican. They call him a mini Beltre and project him to be a masher and end up at 3B. Hes 16 so still a long ways to go and we gave him the highest bonus thus far from what's being reported but can be a good get.
    Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    100 says we win at least 8.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagles4Lyfe View Post
    Your on.

Homerism at its finest

We're stacking up on a lot of SS. Wonder who'll move where at some point.

Martinez is going to become part of a very good looking group of young SS prospects add to the system in the last 3 years...

Miguel Hiraldo (17) - .361/.422/.546 through 24 games in the DSL

Leonardo Jimenez (17) - .308/.438/.423 through his first 7 games in the GCL

Jordan Groshans (18) - .414/.514/.724 through 8 games in the GCL

Bo Bichette (20) - .276/.338/.447 through 79 games in NH

Kevin Smith (21) - 333/.388/.585 through 75 games split between Lansing and Dunedin

Not to mention last year's first rounder Logan Warmoth (22) who skipped over Lansing but is having a rough go this year in Dunedin and is currently injured.

Bichette likely has the best chance to stick at SS. Some of those guys may not be small enough to play SS as they get older.

Kevin Smith it looks like has split his time between 3rd and SS (21 and 24 games respectively). If he sticks and is good enough with the bat, it could warrant Vladdy to move to 1st (where he may be best positioned to play long-term) or we see Kevin Smith at SS and Bichette moved to 2nd, but then you do have Cavan Biggio who is likely to break into the bigs as well... so a dilemma...a good one but a potential dilemma, but lets first see these guys get up here and see if they stick or not.

Well you need 3 middle infielders, and you don't technically need a dedicated 1b or DH.

Brichette - Travis starting
    Smith backup SS, 3b, plays some first and DH.
    Biggio back up 2b and slits time at 1b/DH with Smith.

All this knowing that at least 2 of them will flame out however. That's why I'd like to hold onto Travis. I'd be fine with his bat in any of LF, 2b, 1b or DH. Unless he helps us land a huge prospect I'm not looking to.move him. He also had a lot of value when he was hitting. I wouldn't be selling low on him rn.