Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Do we give Vlad the Tatis Deal?

Do you think the Jays should give Vlad a monster contract and sign him well into his 30s? probably till 35 who knows.

This is probably the biggest decision the team is going to make.

Do you sign Vlad till he hits 30 then see?

Do you think Vlad is going to reject a 5 year and go for the monster contract?

Mega deals have always been a bad idea, but it's mostly for players who are entering their 30s.

Obviously the pros of such a contract is if Vlad has a HOF career, he's 100% going in as a Jay.

There currently isn't a Jay in the HOF where you can say that. Even Halladay's career's greatness was split between 2 franchises.

Of course the drawback is that Vlad could wind up being the new Prince Fielder and just decline rapidly. Then you'd have an albatross sadly (see Pujols Angels).

Both had weight issues, but I think Fielder's was more troubling.
    Until they prove the fans wrong again

If I'm y'all I would go for the mega deal...he is the face of y'alls franchise so you lock him up he can't go nowhere

Quote Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
    If I'm y'all I would go for the mega deal...he is the face of y'alls franchise so you lock him up he can't go nowhere
    He looks (injuries luck aside) to be on a path to become the greatest Blue Jay hitter of all time and it not even being close.

The current best Blue Jay hitter was Carlos Delgado who had a very good career.

(Although season 2000 Deldago is going to be almost impossible to beat )

This is tough. As much as I want to, he isnít really built for longevity. I think I might hold off, And when he earns a 40 mil contract they should not be shy to give it to him.

Hereís the question for me:
    Can we lock him into a monster deal until age 35? Or would he want something that takes him to retirement? I would give him a 10 year contract no problem because heís so young. But Iím not confident he will be mashing into his late 30ís.

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    This is tough. As much as I want to, he isnít really built for longevity. I think I might hold off, And when he earns a 40 mil contract they should not be shy to give it to him.

Hereís the question for me:
    Can we lock him into a monster deal until age 35? Or would he want something that takes him to retirement? I would give him a 10 year contract no problem because heís so young. But Iím not confident he will be mashing into his late 30ís.
    Tatis is signed to age 35, he signed a 14 year contract.

I'm looking at Cabrera and Miggy was still a monster hitter in his 30s, even until as late as 2016......then his production fell off a cliff lol.

Miggy's contract was 100% worth it, even if the Tigers had to deal with the tail end of it.

I just hope Vlad doesn't go the Pujols route and do a monster extension with some team when he hits age 30 because I want him retiring as a Blue Jay (and get into the HOF as one if possible).

Quote Originally Posted by Vampirate View Post
    Tatis is signed to age 35, he signed a 14 year contract.

I'm looking at Cabrera and Miggy was still a monster hitter in his 30s, even until as late as 2016......then his production fell off a cliff lol.

Miggy's contract was 100% worth it, even if the Tigers had to deal with the tail end of it.

I just hope Vlad doesn't go the Pujols route and do a monster extension with some team when he hits age 30 because I want him retiring as a Blue Jay (and get into the HOF as one if possible).
    I would sign Vlad to a 12 or 13 year deal rn.

I wouldn't mind giving him a large contract but if there was opt outt where he would most likely opt out for sure. Ie give him a 15 year deal with an opt out after year 10. Chances are he opts out as a 32 year old and tries to get a longer contract instead of hitting the market at age 37 to get a short term deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps18-19 Champ View Post
    I wouldn't mind giving him a large contract but if there was opt outt where he would most likely opt out for sure. Ie give him a 15 year deal with an opt out after year 10. Chances are he opts out as a 32 year old and tries to get a longer contract instead of hitting the market at age 37 to get a short term deal.
    Not sense giving him a long term if he has an opt out

You lock in his prime years by doing that. It would probably take a 13-15 mil year contract regardless to lock him up now. And most will start to get a bit scared on it becomes 34 years old or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps18-19 Champ View Post
    You lock in his prime years by doing that. It would probably take a 13-15 mil year contract regardless to lock him up now. And most will start to get a bit scared on it becomes 34 years old or so.
    Chance we have to take. He is generational talent. Locked up for 12 years i would offer

I would do 12 years but I suspect he would ask for more years.

My offer was 15 years with a 10 year opt out but if he does 15 years with 12 year opt out, that works too.

We almost have to do a long term deal or risk losing him

Tatis set the bar with 14 years so that's why I said 15 years as an offer. That takes him to 37 years old though.

Vlad also has to want to play ball. He may want to become an FA after his 6 years in order to maximize his earnings. Trout got 10/430, he may end up getting that, plus some.