Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Of course, you always have to factor in when pitchers come to the A's, 95% of them pitch twice as good. Johnson is the first one in a while who has sucked here.

Yes this package would have gotten price but shark is better.

not sure we need a 2B, we have many who can play (punto, callaspo, sogard, lowrie), they just need to find their stroke.
    daniel murphy from the mets has been mentioned, but i'm sure the mets will require one of robertson, nunez, or olsen.

Not seeing the big deal with this trade. As has been said, Robertson is literally one year behind Russell. He will probably be in the show in 2016. McKinney has a flat swing from the footage I've seen. I'm not that impressed with him. And Straily is basically an unproven Jason Hammel at this point.

This is the trade Beane absolutely had to make. It's a 2 year window and if this team makes it to the World Series once or twice, than this trade was an absolute win

Teams don't make the World Series with an excellent shortstop. They make it with killer instinct from the SP in the playoffs.

Go Athletics and here is to a BIG 2nd half of the season

Quote Originally Posted by BKdoubleStacker View Post
    Hammel is certainly not that good so he's nothing more than a 4th or 5th option no matter how good he's been this year
    Cubs fan here. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with Hammel. The Cubs pitching coach, Chris Bosio, has worked magic with a lot of reclamation projects who had good peripherals but bad results. Hammel was one of those guys. Jake Arrieta is that guy now, too. The cubs were able to get the most out of Hammel, and I think A's fans are going to realize just how good he really is. Him and Samardzija have been nearly identical this year, and they've both been excellent. They would be #1's or #2's on a lot of baseball staffs this season. Gray and Kazmir are each around a 2.0 fWAR right now. Kazmir's at 1.8 and Gray is at 2.0. Shark and Hammel are both at 2.1. You've got 4 pitchers who are on pace to be 4+ win pitchers. That's unbelievably valuable in today's game. Also, given the shift from a fairly neutral park at Wrigley to a very pitcher friendly park in Oakland, Shark and Hammel should do pretty well. Plus you guys always seem to get the best out of a lot of pitchers.

Russell is a lot to give up, and I'm ecstatic the Cubs were able to pry him away, but this move isn't a desperate grab for a chance to win, it legitimizes the A's WS hopes. It's a fantastic trade for both sides. We're sad to see our pitchers go, but we're glad they went to a team that gives them a chance to win it all. Pulling for you guys this season! Good luck!

I'm glad the A's pulled this off. LakersA's49ers is right, the A's go for it all this year and next and if they do hit one that should net them enough revenue to at least sign a player or two long term. If they don't they could always just sell everybody and rebuild, maybe in time for a new stadium. Overall I like the idea of keeping the momentum this year and trying to secure home field in the playoffs and then running Gray, Samardzija, Kazmir in the playoffs. They have the offense and the bullpen too. Hoping for that ring!

Watched Shark come up through the organization and was sad to see him go, that being said I am glad he went to you guys as I have tremendous respect for your organization and want to see Billy Beane win the last game of the season this year.

Shark can dominate, he was getting terrible run support in Chicago and even less help from the bullpen. The guy's grit is off the charts.

I think its a great trade for both teams, and I haven't even brought up Hammel yet, who is also having a career year with the same anemic run support. At first blush Beane gave up a lot however Shark can dominate like Verlander.

Looks like Janikowski will be kicking FG's off the dirt infield well into October.
    Last edited by Proximo; 07-06-2014 at 02:32 AM.

Amusing people say that Hammel isn't that good. Uhhhh. Would say that about Kazmir before the A's pitching guru's unscrewed him like the do with 95% of the pitchers here. Chavez was a complete scrub before he came here. He couldn't post ERA's under 5 in the lousy N.L. Some moron called up a show yesterday and stated Samardzija was overrated because he fades the second half. LOL! Maybe that has to do with the fact his team is out of it by week 4 every year, gets no run support and their bullpen sucks. Seriously, you can't make the stupidity up.

Quote Originally Posted by cespedesrules View Post
    Amusing people say that Hammel isn't that good. Uhhhh. Would say that about Kazmir before the A's pitching guru's unscrewed him like the do with 95% of the pitchers here. Chavez was a complete scrub before he came here. He couldn't post ERA's under 5 in the lousy N.L. Some moron called up a show yesterday and stated Samardzija was overrated because he fades the second half. LOL! Maybe that has to do with the fact his team is out of it by week 4 every year, gets no run support and their bullpen sucks. Seriously, you can't make the stupidity up.
    You sure about that bullpen statement?
    Cubs have one the best BP in all of baseball

Quote Originally Posted by Chazm View Post
    You sure about that bullpen statement?
    Cubs have one the best BP in all of baseball
    Trust me, Chicago's bullpen sucks. No group is better at seizing defeat out of the jaws of victory or wasting quality starts.

Samardzija would've been the best SP on the market if he were available this offseason. Almost every one of his pitches get above average whiffs and grounders. He's faced almost half the batters in comparison to the rest of 29 YO SPs.

Enjoy Samardzija. It's too bad the Cubs couldn't extend him; he's great.

Quote Originally Posted by NORTH10 View Post
    Samardzija would've been the best SP on the market if he were available this offseason. Almost every one of his pitches get above average whiffs and grounders. He's faced almost half the batters in comparison to the rest of 29 YO SPs.

Enjoy Samardzija. It's too bad the Cubs couldn't extend him; he's great.
    He is great and maybe the Cubs will have a shot at him in 2016, or maybe not. He has nasty stuff and a durable arm.

It's so hard to watch Jeff Samardzija pitch for another team. Can he be the PTBNL and we just get him back after this season? That'd be totes fair.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12