Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Doc Rivers Set a Bad Precedent With the Coach/GM Role

Doc was given full power right off the bat to run the Clippers front office AND coach. He refused to allow the Clippers trade unless he was guaranteed the front office position (which he's been bad at BTW). I didn't like it when it happened and was even more ticked off when he was made the official president of team operations two weeks ago, despite no experience running a friend office. The Clippers made him the highest paid coach/exec in the NBA. I personally don't feel it's possible to do so much work and still maintain the efficiency required. Today we are hearing that Kidd demanded a similar role and as a result the front office basically rightfully told him to go to hell in Brooklyn. This last summer we saw Stan Van Gundy get that role, along with John Calipari who was offered ungodly money for the role by the Cavs, neither of which had front office experience.

My point is that I feel this is bad for the NBA going forward. GM/president vs coaching is very different job and both are extremely hands on. Front offices will support it to cut costs and consolidate positions, coaches will demand it due to more power. Even the Spurs, the best run team in the league don't have Pop as a full blown president/GM, but rather the assistant.

Thoughts on this new trend? Do you agree it will be detrimental to the league long term?
    Last edited by Clippersfan86; 06-29-2014 at 01:30 AM.

"Blake Griffin. You are nothing more than a high school bully!"

All the while, we're currently cultivating a crop of young, new age, statistically-minded GMs who pretty much all cut their teeth in the Houston, San Antonio or Oklahoma City organizations. It's a really interesting contrast. I suspect the Sam Hinkies and the Rob Hennigans of the world are going to enjoy destroying the Stan Van Gundys and Jason Kidds in trades.
    POOP

Its just something the Clippers like to do. Mike Dunleavy was also a Head Coach/GM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86 View Post

Thoughts on this new trend? Do you agree it will be detrimental to the league long term?
    I'd give it a few years before saying it was a good or bad decision.

As for it being detrimental, I don't think so, if it fails, other teams won't be as likely to do it.

Pat Riley was the one who set the precedent in basically the fashion as Doc, traded to a new team and granted expanded power...

The difference is he coached many more Finals teams and was able to build different style teams through coaching to show his versatility of working with different types of rosters. He also worked far more seasons to prove his worth at coach+GM before they expanded his role to president also.

Doc needs more time and to really handle his first free agency this summer before we can even start to get a grasp on his style and ability and judge him.

Pop was the GM for the Spurs before he was the coach, and he made himself the coach in 1997 and remained as the GM until 2003. It's been done a few times as coach/president, like PowerHouse said Mike Dunleavy on the Clippers. Having final say isn't a bad thing, the teams still have the GM and other front office guys doing most of the leg work before Doc even gets to say yes or no.

I like it, I think it's the best way for a coach and GM to truly be in sync and ensures that the coach will have the roster he wants and needs to do his job well. Some teams will take big gambles, like Detroit and Cleveland it seems taking these gambles to attract coaches there that wouldn't accept the job without it, but that's no different than making odd coaching/front office hires anyways. I mean, what exactly were John Hollinger's credentials before Memphis hired him?

Phil Jackson pretty much ran the Lakers FO during his tenure until Papa Buss passed away and Jimbaco took over.

GM's are always talking about the struggle of integrating new age concepts with their Coaches, teams can bypass that altogether by having them be 1 and the same. If that coach is open to all different concepts, he will succeed. This precedent was set by another former Celtic, Red.

So forgot about Riley doing it a few years back in Miami. Wasn't that with young Wade? Then if I recall it became a bit much and he stepped down? As mentioned though Riley earned it. Guys like Doc, Kidd, Van Gundy, Calipari haven't proven jack in an NBA front office. As a couple of you guys said though, only time will tell.

"Blake Griffin. You are nothing more than a high school bully!"

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86 View Post
    So forgot about Riley doing it a few years back in Miami. Wasn't that with young Wade? Then if I recall it became a bit much and he stepped down? As mentioned though Riley earned it. Guys like Doc, Kidd, Van Gundy, Calipari haven't proven jack in an NBA front office. As a couple of you guys said though, only time will tell.
    Nah way before Wade. Think back to the Zo era, possibly right before that with Glen Rice, I cant really remember either.

There is one major advantage to being both the GM and the Head Coach, and that's not having to worry about "playing" for your job.

So many Head Coaches make boneheaded player decisions because they want to win every regular season game or because the Star will go behind their back and try to get them fired.

And many GM's make boneheaded decisions because they don't fully understand how the players integrate onto their current roster in terms of culture and skillset, or they're too busy sucking up to the biggest contract on the roster, or they're trying to grab the limelight and pad the resume.

A person who is the GM and the Coach is forced to weigh both of these situations. And while ideally you want 2 highly competent people in both positions, you're reducing a point of friction by reducing it to 1 person. As long as the person is trusting enough to delegate responsibilities to people who are more competent than they are, then they can do very well.

Will Kidd be successful? Who knows.

However, it's been done by teams before and been successful. This isn't a "precedent" by any stretch of the imagination.
    J.R. Smith: "They were pretty much scoring at will. Especially my guy. I don't know what the hell I was doing on defense."

Raymond Felton : "The play was give the ball to Melo."

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    Nah way before Wade. Think back to the Zo era, possibly right before that with Glen Rice, I cant really remember either.
    Yes, back in 94 when the team had Glen Rice and Steve Smith as its main pieces. Riley took over and rebuilt the team and changed the identity.

Doc isn't even that good of a coach tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinnsanity View Post
    All the while, we're currently cultivating a crop of young, new age, statistically-minded GMs who pretty much all cut their teeth in the Houston, San Antonio or Oklahoma City organizations. It's a really interesting contrast. I suspect the Sam Hinkies and the Rob Hennigans of the world are going to enjoy destroying the Stan Van Gundys and Jason Kidds in trades.
    Yeah, I'd say you about summed it up.

Quote Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
    Doc isn't even that good of a coach tbh.
    To me he's one of the best players' coaches, and if I were a GM I wouldn't want a players' coach. There's all this talk of rallying the troops and stuff, but they get outclassed when it matters by coaches who are more than just yes-men to their players. Doc wasn't a good coach until he had 3 HOFers who understood their roles and fit together perfectly. I mean it's not hard to coach a team to gel when they have one of the best versatile scorers of his generation, a top 3-5 shooter in history, and one of the best passing bigs who did his work away from the basket.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast