Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Colorado Sells $19 Million in Cannabis in March: $1.9 Million Goes to Schools..cont'd

Colorado Sells $19 Million in Cannabis in March: $1.9 Million Goes to Schools and Crime Down 10%

All the naysayers who were against marijuana legalization are eating crow about now. Colorado’s weed sales just keep trending up, and with the sales of legal weed, they are improving their schools and reducing overall crime rates.

Not counting medicinal weed sales, Colorado sold nearly $19 million in their recreational weed market in the month of March, and $1.9 million of that goes straight into government coffers and towards building schools. At this pace, according to PolicyMic, Colorado will make $30 million this year in pot taxes alone.

What’s even more promising is that these numbers are still low estimates, as the recreational and medicinal marijuana markets (coinciding just fine, take note Washington) are likely to keep trending upward. Many say that a figure closer to $60 million in weed tax revenue is a more likely assumption. Medical marijuana is also not as heavily taxes as recreational marijuana, and hopefully it will stay that way.

The cherry on top of this tax-generating cake? Crime rates are also down in Colorado, so while kids are hopefully going to get a better education, the government (idealistically) will spend more money improving infrastructure and other business opportunities for Colorado citizens, and unemployment rates are plummeting. The Colorado police can take a little rest from their duties.

Crime rates in Colorado have dropped by 10.6% while Dunkin Donuts has begun expanding its brand in the state (really). It looks like a really good future for people living in Colorado, or any state that legalizes both medical and recreational marijuana – though it is admittedly too early to tell.
    http://themindunleashed.org/2014/06/...-crime-10.html

It didn't take a genius to figure this **** out. Now if the rest of the states and provinces would fall in line, we could be talking about significantly better health care as well as education for people.

Better education for less motivated students. Sounds like we are making progress.

Official Edmunds/Vea Crew

Cause k-12 are the ones buying it?

I'm in support of it, but lets not pretend the money going to education is some huge achievement. If they can show me a correlation between the legalization and higher test scores as a result of the increased funding then I'll tip my cap but flushing more money into a public education system in dire need of reform is hardly some huge accomplishment worthy of a pat on the back.

Official Edmunds/Vea Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Raidaz4Life View Post
    I'm in support of it, but lets not pretend the money going to education is some huge achievement. If they can show me a correlation between the legalization and higher test scores as a result of the increased funding then I'll tip my cap but flushing more money into a public education system in dire need of reform is hardly some huge accomplishment worthy of a pat on the back.
    Yeah, education needs some pretty solid reform. But the notion that money can't make things A LOT better for public schools in the immediate short term is just asinine. At the very least, it's not a con or a problem that Colorado just produced $1.9M of new money and are funneling it in to schooling. It's certainly way better than funneling $1.9M less into it (or whatever the actual number is that goes there). But yeah, government's bad, I got it.

I'm not sure why this is news. The cons of criminalized marijuana greatly outweigh the cons of decriminalized marijuana. It's quite sad how carried away so many politicians got with it over the last ~100 years.

Your beloved lord and savior smoked weed. Just be happy dude!
    HELLO

Good stuff indeed. With the # of people who smoke cannabis all other states and provinces should bite the bullet and legalize it. Think of the extra tax money it would create.
    With the deepest of regrets I am announcing that I will be leaving Pro Sports Daily. No reason in particular but wanted to thank everyone for a great 6 years here. Lots of great discussion and good poll series as well. Also fun re-drafts. Best of luck to you all in the future.

California could use it to improve roads as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Raidaz4Life View Post
    It depends on how the money is spent.

I work for a school system that pisses away so much money on **** that anybody with half a brain would realize isn't gonna produce results equal to the cost. I'm talking about hundreds of textbooks bought and used for one year and then thrown into the dumpster. The same with learning software for the computers.... used for one year and then thrown away and replaced by version 2.8 which is the same **** just different year.

If this money was used for example on putting more assistants for the teachers in classrooms or even more teachers and cutting down the amount of students per classroom that would help.

Marcus Mariota

I genuinely wonder how the fast food sales in colorado have been affected by this.

Quote Originally Posted by todu82 View Post
    Good stuff indeed. With the # of people who smoke cannabis all other states and provinces should bite the bullet and legalize it. Think of the extra tax money it would create.
    Not to mention all the drug-enforcement related savings...

lol so where are all these car accidents? what happened? nothing, just like we predicted, people who smoke weed that is. now if you just imagine potentially how much money could have been made had it been legal for years in every state.

like i said on this forum a few years ago, its only a matter of time before its legal world wide, there is zero good reasons for why its illegal.

Aust is offline BUTLER!!!! / DOWN 25!!!!!
    "America runs on Dunkin"
    (2/1/2015) (2/5/2017) (2/3/2019)

HOLY ****

[Click here to register at ProSportsDaily]

Glad it is legal here, I think it makes it safer for the people who buy this than in a alley or something. I like beer myself but this is much safer. I voted for this and Colorado & Washington are only the beginning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast