Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    So, do you guys think we are going to sign a legit defender? I mean, I feel like we need to. Time to spend some money.

I feel like a Mets fan all over again.
    Look at my list. I'll gladly take anyone of the guys I mentioned.

http://nypost.com/2014/05/22/islande...s-4-year-deal/

Islanders have a real goalie! Halak inks 4-year deal

really like the addition of Halak hopefully they are able to aquire one of these guys between Matt Niskanen and Tory Krug on the defensive side both young and could help out the defense
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Loco View Post
    I think Boston will learn what the Yankees learned a long time ago. You can't buy championships.
    Quote Originally Posted by leoharris View Post
    Yankees Rotation:

CC- I can beat anyone not leading a division
    AJ- I can beat anyone in the Little League WS
    Nova - I can beat anyone if you let me
    Colon - I have a giant clown head
    Garcia - I can throw as hard as Tim Wakefield
    Hughes- I was once a top prospect, you know.

also if they do keep the pick I like Michael Dal Colle, LW, Oshawa (OHL) - he can score with ease also has an accurate shot, great speed and soft hands make him a perfect winger for No. 1 center John Tavares. Dal Colle also would bring some much-needed toughness to the Islanders’ top nine.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2014/04/2014-nhl-moc...-lottery-team/

Quote Originally Posted by J-Loco View Post
    I think Boston will learn what the Yankees learned a long time ago. You can't buy championships.
    Quote Originally Posted by leoharris View Post
    Yankees Rotation:

CC- I can beat anyone not leading a division
    AJ- I can beat anyone in the Little League WS
    Nova - I can beat anyone if you let me
    Colon - I have a giant clown head
    Garcia - I can throw as hard as Tim Wakefield
    Hughes- I was once a top prospect, you know.

Love the signing!!
    We got this!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nyg41111 View Post
    also if they do keep the pick I like Michael Dal Colle, LW, Oshawa (OHL) - he can score with ease also has an accurate shot, great speed and soft hands make him a perfect winger for No. 1 center John Tavares. Dal Colle also would bring some much-needed toughness to the Islanders’ top nine.

You know it but if Draisaitl falls we better pounce on him guy is lethal with the puck

http://bestcoasthockey.wordpress.com...-ny-islanders/

SEASON IN REVIEW – NY ISLANDERS

No sleep till Brooklyn

Remember when the Islanders made the playoffs last season and pushed the East’s top seeded Pittsburgh Penguins to 6 games. Out working and out skating them, almost upsetting the much favoured Pens? Neither do we. Feels more like a decade ago. This season saw the Islanders return to where they’ve been far too often in recent memory, near the bottom of the standings. It certainly didn’t help that Captain and Superstar John Tavares missed over 20 games after hurting his knee in the Olympic tournament with Team Canada, but even JT couldn’t have saved the Isles season.

The Islanders have done a good job of drafting and have a lot of good kids on the team; they’ve just done a lousy job insulating them with the right veterans. Defending is an obvious weakness for the Islanders who gave up the 3rd most goals this past season and for the most part it’s what did them in.

Perhaps the biggest downfall this past season hangs on a GM Garth Snow. An early season trade with Buffalo saw the Islanders gamble that Thomas Vanek would deliver better results alongside Tavares than long time line mate Matt Moulson. The gamble seemed to pay off as Tavares and Vanek found solid chemistry and along with line mate Kyle Okposo were dangerous whenever they were on the ice. The problem with the deal was that Vanek was a pending UFA. Unable to reach a long-term agreement with Vanek, the Islanders were forced to trade him at the deadline to the Montreal Canadiens for a less than expected return. Snow apparently had kept his price too high for too long. Compounding the problem was one last detail, the Islanders sent a first round pick in either 2014 or 2015 (their choosing) to Buffalo along with Moulson. In the end it was Vanek, Moulson, and 1st round pick leaving New York, and in return they received Sebastian Collberg and a 2nd round pick. Oy vey.

Expected Departures:

Here might be the best news for the Isles, no it’s not a player that’s expected to leave but the owner. Charles Wang has finally given up and is ready to move on and sell the team (it’s however still unclear if he’ll keep a share). Wang should get some credit for keeping the Islanders in Long Island as long as he could. When it became clear that his plans for an arena in Long Island (and all the commercial and retail development that would have come with it) would not be, he did the fans well in keeping the franchise close when they move to Brooklyn following this season. But his decisions during his tenure from Alexi Yashin to Rick Dipeitro to Garth Snow cannot be overlooked. He simply did not do enough to improve the team on the ice. A sale isn’t currently in the works, but the sale sign is up and the thought of new ownership should provide hope to long time Islander fans. Some icing on the cake for Islanders fans is that a new owner will probably want his own management group, thus ending the puzzling Garth Snow era.

As for the on ice departures, the news is again somewhat positive as no major parts of the team are expected to leave.

Evgeni Nabokov (G) – Nabokov is 38 years old and past his prime. He could possibly return to Long Island in a reduced back up role, as no other goaltenders in the organization are kicking down the doors to take over the crease. Even still, the Islanders would be best off finding a true #1 and an upgrade over what else is in the system to back up the #1.
    Radek Martinek (D) – Martinek has been a very serviceable player with the Isles for a few seasons now but as mentioned above there are a few kids on the back end who are NHL ready and should take Martinek’s spot on the depth chart.

Next years “Come back to earth” player:

Thomas Hickey (D) – Hickey had a breakout year… for him. He went from a player who didn’t look like he’d ever live up to his draft spot (4th overall in 2007) and had bust written all over him to an every day NHL defenseman who was able to chip in 20+ points and was a plus player. To be fair to Hickey there’s a very good chance he doesn’t regress much at all. Pickings were slim on Islander players who broke out, and we’re betting Kyle Okposo doesn’t drop off now that he looks like he’s found a home on John Tavares’ right wing.

Next years Breakout player:

Ryan Strome (C) – Strome is clearly the top prospect in the Islanders organization and played 37 NHL games this year recording 7 goals and 11 assists. He spent a good portion of the year in Bridgeport with the Isles AHL affiliate, but showed while he was down there that he doesn’t belong as he is a NHL level talent. 20 goals and 50 points would be a nice jump for Strome next year.If he plays the entire year in the NHL it should be an achievable target and would give the Islanders a nice second line threat.

FA Targets:

*Note – This article was initially first drafted April 23rd. So yes we’re psychic at Best Coast.

Jaroslav Halak (G) – Halak had a strong season in St. Louis but the Blues believed that Ryan Miller was a better option to take them to the Stanley Cup. Halak was ok in his time in Washington but not great and therefore he might come at a decent price point and give the Islanders a 50+ starts #1 goalie.
    Matt Moulson (LW) – Yes the same Matt Moulson who was traded away earlier this year. It would be a tail between the legs move by whoever is the Islanders GM come July to approach Moulson but John Tavares loves the guy and surely would endorse having him back on his line. The Islander fans love Moulson as well. In his last visit back to Long Island, as a member of the Minnesota Wild, the fans repeatedly chanted “We want Moulson”. This has PR dream written all over it for a new ownership group should the team be sold in time.

Brooks Orpik (D) – The Islanders could use some more snarl on the back end and no offence to Matt Carkner, if that snarl could play valuable minutes it would be an added bonus. Orpik isn’t going to wow anyone with dazzling rushes up the ice but he’s a pain in the *** to play against and the kind of guy teams love defending their net. He could also be a good mentor for future pain in the *** to play against Griffin Reinhart.

Next wave (prospects):

As we mentioned earlier there has to be a tip of the hat to Garth Snows drafting records. He’s overseen 7 drafts now and the Islanders had 12 of their own draft picks during that time play in the NHL this past year. It helps that the picks have often been high but it’s been more than just 1st rounders finding their way to the NHL. The Islanders continue to boast a strong group of prospects.

Griffin Reinhart (D) – The massive Western Canadian kid should turn pro next season and depending on how the Islanders choose to develop him he could end up in the AHL or jump right to the NHL. He has NHL size and plays a strong two way game. Relying on his smarts, size and a great first pass Reinhart is a complete defenseman. After missing the first few games at the World Jr’s. tournament due to suspension, Reinhart was a major difference maker on the Canadian back end, providing calmness and stability to the defense upon his return.
    Anders Lee (C/W) – Lee made his NHL debut this year and got off to a fantastic start posting 10 points in his first 9 games. He slowed down after that, only finding the score sheet 4 more times in the next 13 games but that’s the learning curve for a young player. Lee skates well and uses his big frame well and is hard to knock off the puck. He should see time in the Islander top 9 on a consistent basis next season.

Scott Mayfield (D) – Another big skilled defender in the Islanders system Mayfield made his NHL debut this season after spending most of the season in the AHL with Bridgeport. Mayfield plays an offensive game and needs to improve his own zone coverage and use his size more but has a lot of raw tools that should have the Islanders management group very excited. Another year in the AHL would be best for Mayfields’ development but he could see the occasional call up to the big club next season.

Potential Trades:

One of their young prospects on defence – As seen in the Next Wave, the Islanders have some good young talent on D like Reinhart and Mayfield. Add to that list Calvin de Haan, Ville Pokka and Ryan Pulock and there is enough depth to move one of them to bring back a piece that could help shore up other areas’ of weakness. Cough goaltending cough
    Josh Bailey (C/W) – Bailey is still young and has been flirting with a 0.50 PPG pace over the last few seasons so he’s got value. He’s shown an ability to play on the wing or down the middle and in all situations. He’s not someone the Islanders should be actively shopping but if his name comes up in a deal that would help the Islanders he could be moved along.

James Reimer (G) – Wait what? He doesn’t play for the Islanders does he? ..checks Google.. No he does not. But he should. Reimer has shown he’s got what it takes to play in the NHL and be a capable starter. He’s not elite but he can be a #1 in this league right now. Clearly things in Toronto have come to a tipping point and Reimer is ready, nay begging, to be sent out of Toronto. He’s the right age, has the right price tag cap wise and trade value wise for the Islanders.

*Again this was written prior to Halak signing. We still believe Reimer would have been a great fit on Long Island and have left the list unedited.

Next year’s outlook:

Depending on what happens at the top things could go many ways for the Islanders in their last season before moving into Brooklyn. The Islanders want to say farewell in style to Nassau County and also drum up plenty of interest (and sell plenty of tickets) in Brooklyn by having a strong season. (Brooklyn interest tip: Have players grow moustaches and wear oversized glasses) If Wang and Snow are still around it’s hard to imagine a big change from what we saw this past year, but perhaps they can bring in a few new pieces. With a healthy John Tavares and improved goaltending it’s not far fetched to imagine the Islanders challenging for a playoff spot. Will they lay claim to a playoff spot? They’ve got their work cut out for them, but improving over this disaster of a year should be very achievable.

I want Nabokov back as a backup.

Love the Halak signing for you guys. Gives you a good goalie that seems to thrive when he's shot on a lot. If you get a Matt Niskanen type on defense and a top-line wing, you guys could be looking at a quick turnaround and suddenly the Thomas Vanek trade looks a lot better if you're giving up a pick in the 20's to Buffalo.

2016 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CubbieKid17 View Post
    Love the Halak signing for you guys. Gives you a good goalie that seems to thrive when he's shot on a lot. If you get a Matt Niskanen type on defense and a top-line wing, you guys could be looking at a quick turnaround and suddenly the Thomas Vanek trade looks a lot better if you're giving up a pick in the 20's to Buffalo.
    Thanks man and yup you know your hockey because Halak succeeds when he faces more shots... Kinda weird. That's why he was so good in MTL. I feel like he is the perfect fit for us

I mean the Vanek trade wasn't good any way you look at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    I mean the Vanek trade wasn't good any way you look at it.
    Oh no doubt, but it looks a lot better if you're giving up say the 21st overall pick than the 5th.

Quote Originally Posted by KingsnQueens7 View Post
    Thanks man and yup you know your hockey because Halak succeeds when he faces more shots... Kinda weird. That's why he was so good in MTL. I feel like he is the perfect fit for us
    Also why he wasn't a great fit in St. Louis. I think he'll be a great fit for you guys.

The Vanek trade was worth it... He is choking hard in MTL right now if you are keeping up with the playoffs. If Collberg pans out as a top 6 forward, we won the trade. Vanek Schmanek.

Also why he wasn't a great fit in St. Louis. I think he'll be a great fit for you guys.
    I dunno why STL traded him... Miller wasn't that much of an upgrade and now he isn't even going to resign with them.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast