Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

The New York Times maps NBA fandom.

The New York Times, through its financial/graphic feature The Upshot, mapped NBA fandom nationwide based on Facebook likes. It provides a county-by-county map of the entire U.S. and charts various playoff match-ups.
    It seems as if most ruralite counties, even in Canada, go to the Lakers. I'm personally disgusted by the three counties in eastern Oregon going to them. Must be the strength of the Los Angeles market.

So the bulls are more popular than the clippers in LA?

That can't be right. Where are the the Clippers and Hawks? They are not even mentioned on the map. I'm sure there are other teams missing but those two caught my eye.

Heat/lakers/bulls/celtics are in the top 3 of a lot of counties.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug3 View Post
    Heat/lakers/bulls/celtics are in the top 3 of a lot of counties.
    Lots of bandwagoners.

Quote Originally Posted by DODGERS&LAKERS View Post
    That can't be right. Where are the the Clippers and Hawks? They are not even mentioned on the map. I'm sure there are other teams missing but those two caught my eye.
    they did these like an election. Clippers didn't win any county in the polls.

Lakers and Heat are more popular than the Nets in every county other than Morris Count NJ, where they tied with the Lakers with 14% (far behind NYK). Ouch.

Thats why LA will always be a Lakers town. FOH clippers.

Quote Originally Posted by DODGERS&LAKERS View Post
    Just zoom in, hawks show up. But I couldn't find the clips.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1. I'm surprised they were able to discern that anyone in Pittsburgh likes the NBA
    2. Most are Lakers and Heat fans...hmmm....
    3. Lakers still are the most popular team, which is unsurprising. I'd also expect more of Canada to be on board with the Raps.
    Hello there! Welcome to ManRam v8.00.
    Patch notes: This version is nice, funny, cool & good™ now

Sounds about right for Michigan. Not very many people actually give a crap about the Pistons currently and to be fair I can't blame them, the franchise is an utter mess. The two bandwagon choices are pretty obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post
    1. I'm surprised they were able to discern that anyone in Pittsburgh likes the NBA
    2. Most are Lakers and Heat fans...hmmm....
    3. Lakers still are the most popular team, which is unsurprising. I'd also expect more of Canada to be on board with the Raps.
    I think the raps being competitive will do a lot for basketball in Canada. Ontario was strongly for the raptors, this represent over 1/3 of our population in Ontario. The west and east coast showed support as well. In Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba they just care about junior c hockey more than the Nba.

I can speak at least for many friends I have on Facebook. They are raptors fans, and will be involved when they are good. However they have a second team they "follow" just to fall back on.