Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Warriors interested in Gundy

Mark Jackson appears to be on his way out of Golden State, since rumors have suggested he would be unlikely to return barring a long playoff run, and the Warriors find themselves out of the playoffs after the first round. Marc Stein of ESPN.com reiterates the team’s interest in Knicks target Steve Kerr, but the ESPN scribe believes Kerr is destined for New York, just as Fred Hoiberg, in whom the Warriors also hold interest, would be difficult to pry from Iowa State. That leaves the Warriors poised to make a run at former Heat and Magic coach Stan Van Gundy, Stein writes.

Van Gundy is still interested in coaching, but he’s primarily focused on spending time with his family, whom he says he’s given veto power over his decision to return to an NBA bench. He’s been linked to the Lakers, Timberwolves and Pistons of late, but he reportedly doesn’t want any of those jobs. The Pistons reached out to him recently, but talks apparently didn’t progress too far because he wanted some degree of control over player personnel. That kind of sway would probably be tough to come by in Golden State, where GM Bob Myers, adviser Jerry West and co-owner Joe Lacob all have varying levels of input into the team’s roster construction.

The divide between Jackson and Warriors management goes beyond the removal of former assistant coaches Brian Scalabrine and Darren Erman, Stein writes. The Warriors prefer someone whose personality is a better fit with the front office than Jackson’s is, according to Stein, who suggests that the team might put a premium on experience as it looks for its next coach.

The outspoken Van Gundy’s dry sense of humor scores points with media and in broadcasting, but his honesty can spark firestorms, such as when he told reporters that Dwight Howard wanted him out as coach of the Magic. Anyone other than Jackson would be a tough sell to the players, who’ve shown nearly universal support for their embattled coach. Still, Van Gundy and Howard have reconciled, and Van Gundy has never compiled a losing record in parts of eight seasons as an NBA head coach, so there’s reason to believe he’d be successful in Golden State.
    http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2014/05/w...ted-gundy.html

As they should....
    Hello there! Welcome to ManRam v8.00.
    Patch notes: This version is nice, funny, cool & good™ now

Can someone tell me what the common denominator between Hoiberg, Vangundy and Kerr? I can't see a clear upgrade between those guys and Jackson.

These 3 guys are foreign to the Warriors organization, so the Warriors would be blind reaching with choosing one of those 3 over the proven and ingratiated Jackson.

1. Jackson isn't going anywhere if the front office want to keep the players on side.

"I love Coach more than anybody, and I think for him to be in a situation where his job is under scrutiny and under question is totally unfair," Curry said. "And it would definitely be a shock to me if anything like that were to happen.

"I'm going to voice my support for Coach."
    2. Nowhere in that "article" does it say the Warriors are interested in Stan, it just says he's one of the few options left for them.

3. Jackson is a better coach, this would be an absolutely idiotic move. On top of that Stan doesn't show respect to his players, at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose17 View Post
    1. Jackson isn't going anywhere if the front office want to keep the players on side.

2. Nowhere in that "article" does it say the Warriors are interested in Stan, it just says he's one of the few options left for them.

3. Jackson is a better coach, this would be an absolutely idiotic move. On top of that Stan doesn't show respect to his players, at all.
    1: Most of our guys are locked up, including Curry until before the 2018 season. They may do him the courtesy of letting him in on why they're making their decision, but I doubt they're overly concerned for his feelings on the matter at this point. There's plenty of time for a new coach to come in and make his mark on him and the team before free agencies hit.

2: Agreed, this is just one man's guess at what the Warriors front office might be thinking. Completely incorrect thread title.

3: I'd say we know very little about their talents as a coach as it relates to the ins and outs of the game and the myriad of other factors that go into running a team.

I will say that it is a very important aspect of coaching to have the players on your side - not something every team has by a long shot - and the management should tread lightly and thoughtfully in any decision they make here.

Beyond that, I won't pretend to know what's going on behind the scenes or how they should go about this decision.

I just copied the title from the link sue me

I am a huge Stan Van Gundy supporter and aside from the Dwight Howard saga, it seems he always had the respect of his players. Everything I heard from Orlando was that the players on the team loved Stan with the exception of Dwight.

That being said, I don't know how Stan's persoanlity would fit with this bunch of guys. He is the polar opposite of Marc Jackson. He demands effort on the defensive end and will get in guys face if he feels the need.

Quote Originally Posted by tredigs View Post
    1: Most of our guys are locked up, including Curry until before the 2018 season. They may do him the courtesy of letting him in on why they're making their decision, but I doubt they're overly concerned for his feelings on the matter at this point. There's plenty of time for a new coach to come in and make his mark on him and the team before free agencies hit.
    Yeah because that matters... why? Not concerned with his feelings on the matter? Better guess again, go see Dwight, Lowry, Chris Paul, Kobe etc, if a player wants a certain coach or doesn't like a certain coach, especially a player of that caliber, you bend over, take it up the arse and do whatever he tells you to do. Or you end up having to trade him.

And it's not just Curry, EVERY player is backing Mark Jackson, even Jarrett Jack and the mother****er doesn't even play here anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by tredigs View Post
    3: I'd say we know very little about their talents as a coach as it relates to the ins and outs of the game and the myriad of other factors that go into running a team.
    We've seen both coach. We know who's better. I don't know why you need to make it so complicated, what you said is the equivalent of saying you can't say if Lebron is better than Anthony Davis. We've seen both guys do their thing, we can see who is better.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCkid12 View Post
    That being said, I don't know how Stan's persoanlity would fit with this bunch of guys. He is the polar opposite of Marc Jackson. He demands effort on the defensive end and will get in guys face if he feels the need.
    You know Warriors are a top 4 defensive team in the league right? You know Mark Jackson has some of the most stellar defensive sets in the game right now right? Defensive effort isn't an issue, it's offense that's the problem.

Mark Jackson is a ******, i hope hes fired. ***** the Warriors

Quote Originally Posted by Zackthesack View Post
    Mark Jackson is a ******, i hope hes fired. ***** the Warriors
    **** you.

Warriors interested in Gundy

I don't understand why they want Jackson out

Yeah because that matters... why? Not concerned with his feelings on the matter? Better guess again, go see Dwight, Lowry, Chris Paul, Kobe etc, if a player wants a certain coach or doesn't like a certain coach, especially a player of that caliber, you bend over, take it up the arse and do whatever he tells you to do. Or you end up having to trade him.

And it's not just Curry, EVERY player is backing Mark Jackson, even Jarrett Jack and the mother****er doesn't even play here anymore.

We've seen both coach. We know who's better. I don't know why you need to make it so complicated, what you said is the equivalent of saying you can't say if Lebron is better than Anthony Davis. We've seen both guys do their thing, we can see who is better.

You know Warriors are a top 4 defensive team in the league right? You know Mark Jackson has some of the most stellar defensive sets in the game right now right? Defensive effort isn't an issue, it's offense that's the problem.
    If you think we've seen both truly coach, then all I can say is that it is blatantly clear that you have never coached (maybe never played, even?). There's a massive difference between watching a player actions on the court and knowing what a coach is doing behind the scenes and during practices (and there's far more to it than X's and O's). Beyond that, I highly doubt you watched the Magic on a daily basis during his tenure to even give an accurate fan's gauge of their situation, let alone whatever true work he put in.

I'm willing to bet Igoudala, Draymond and Bogut had far more to do with the Warriors defensive uptick than Mark Jackson. Look what happened when we lost Bogut in the post-season; worst defensive metrics of all playoff teams. I think the Warriors staff got them to buy in on that end and play some solid sets, but they were nothing without those 3 on the personnel.

Curry isn't the type of player to quit on the team or demand trades if a new coach is brought in, I'm all but sure of that. He might not be happy, and as I mentioned it's something they need to tread lightly on, but I just don't see Jackson as a dealbreaker one way or another.

Pretending to know what is going on in coaching/player dynamics and assorted management circles behind the scenes while sitting behind a computer is always foolish though, I can tell you that much.

Van Gundy is probably the better coach. Why not upgrade if you can?

Quote Originally Posted by ManningToTyree View Post
    I don't understand why they want Jackson out
    Me neither

Quote Originally Posted by Crackadalic View Post
    Me neither
    It's behind the scenes stuff. Everybody in management hates him for some reason.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast