Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Street Hoops: Do you play within yourself? What's your role?

When you run 5's, do you all have a role you guys try to respect and stay within, or are you a loose cannon constantly experimenting? With my friends, we've all been playing for so long that we pretty much stay in line with each other (You wont see guys wanting to take the ball up if they belong in the post), I imagine its the same with most of you.

But theres always that one guy who overextends himself. In my case it was our tallest friend who we gladly concede the jumper to, he was more than willing to chuck. The funny thing is, hes actually gotten better at the perimeter game now, I mean, we still fear him more in the paint but we're not all shocked when he takes it to the rack off a pump fake.

My role is always a secondary one, I try to compliment who ever Im playing with, which is limited to spot ball handling duties and mid range shooting, not bad IMO. In my younger days I used to play great man defense, Im still great at stopping 1 on 2 breaks and team defense.

So anyways, I have a few questions

Whats your role when you play. Do your teammates play within their roles?

AND

Is there anyone you hate playing with? What about their game do you dislike.

Last edited by Chronz; 04-17-2014 at 06:54 PM.

I usually just play 2 on 2, and we just do pick and roll since most of my friends don't know how to play.

I usually end up just playing with myself.

I will cry for you both tonight...

Street Hoops: Do you play within yourself? What's your role?

When I run 5's which is basically on a daily basis, I pick up that 2 guard role. I am a lockdown defender and I pride myself on that. I also shoot a consistent three. I'm not good at putting the ball on the floor so I have to rely on others to create while I run off the screens and hit my open shots. So yeah that's me in a nut shell

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    When you run 5's, do you all have a role you guys try to respect and stay within, or are you a loose cannon constantly experimenting? With my friends, we've all been playing for so long that we pretty much stay in line with each other (You wont see guys wanting to take the ball up if they belong in the post), I imagine its the same with most of you.

But theres always that one guy who overextends himself. In my case it was our tallest friend who we gladly concede the jumper to, he was more than willing to chuck. The funny thing is, hes actually gotten better at the perimeter game now, I mean, we still fear him more in the paint but we're not all shocked when he takes it to the rack.

My role is always a secondary one, I try to compliment who ever Im playing with, which is limited to spot PG duties and mid range shooting, not bad IMO.

So anyways, I have a few questions

Whats your role when you play. Do your teammates play within their roles?

AND

Is there anyone you hate playing with? What about their game do you dislike.

Funny you should say this because I just competed in a student vs. faculty game at the high school. We played the seniors who weren't on the basketball team. So basically the stud football/wrestlers and a few throw-ins. There was also this kid who couldn't play varsity this year because of grades. He hit 8 threes on us and almost cost us the game. It's typically a close game.

Anyway, I'm a 3-4 tweener and I dropped a filthy 4pt/6rebound/2assist line. Had a nice head-fake/jump-hook in the post that got some "oohs" from the crowd. I'm the guy though who tries too hard and is typically doing annoying stuff like this:

http://topicstock.pantip.com/supacha...8748216-82.jpg

I'm also always setting illegal screens on offense bc I know they will never get called and I want my team to get easy baskets.

Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

Quote Originally Posted by P&GRealist:28334048
    I usually end up just playing with myself.

Free As Seagull.

I'm essentially KnicksorBust with a catch and shoot game. Lurl
    Mavs fan first and foremost, and a closet Pistons fan since 2002

Quote Originally Posted by chi-townlove1 View Post
    When I run 5's which is basically on a daily basis, I pick up that 2 guard role. I am a lockdown defender and I pride myself on that. I also shoot a consistent three. I'm not good at putting the ball on the floor so I have to rely on others to create while I run off the screens and hit my open shots. So yeah that's me in a nut shell
    I've always wanted to emulate that sort of game, for awhile my favorite play was a simple pin down that got me open on the right elbow, with my momentum coming off the screen, catching and shooting felt so natural. That part of my game has degraded because Im not a natural shooter, I really have to work on it to be consistent with it. I do have a quick first step compared to most my friends tho. Still, its a great feeling knowing your teammates are looking for you to get open as opposed to dumping it off to you as a last resort in the drive and kick.

Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    Funny you should say this because I just competed in a student vs. faculty game at the high school. We played the seniors who weren't on the basketball team. So basically the stud football/wrestlers and a few throw-ins. There was also this kid who couldn't play varsity this year because of grades. He hit 8 threes on us and almost cost us the game. It's typically a close game.

Anyway, I'm a 3-4 tweener and I dropped a filthy 4pt/6rebound/2assist line. Had a nice head-fake/jump-hook in the post that got some "oohs" from the crowd. I'm the guy though who tries too hard and is typically doing annoying stuff like this:

http://topicstock.pantip.com/supacha...8748216-82.jpg

I'm also always setting illegal screens on offense bc I know they will never get called and I want my team to get easy baskets.

I was a football player on scholarship in college and walked on the Basketball team there as well. I'm in a really good rec league in Westchester CA, Game, Leon Powe, Smush Parker, Keith Van Horn, Snoop, are also in the league, and I'm averaging 24 and 13, I'm 6 foot 4 and 285lbs, definitly out of shape by my standards, but I dominate the glass and have a good inside game and a good jumper, because I play 4 or 5 but was a reciever/SF in college, most guys dont realize how quick I am for my size, so I usually hit the 3 from the top of the key 3 or 4 times a game because people think I'm too big to shoot, it's pretty funny, but inside I'm nasty and usually just bully people for offensive boards and put backs.

I'm 5'6" so on offense I pretty much get my shot blocked. If not, I just miss on my own. Rebounding... 5'6". I think that's all I need to say on that one. I'm a pretty decent on ball defender though. I have quick feet and long arms so I can play respectable on that end.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

I haven't played in a few years, it just hurts my back now (I had a back injury my sophomore year that has just lingered and effed with me, and by age 34-35, it just wasn't worth it anymore to play, and then be in pain for 3 days).

But, when I played all the time, I am basically a small SG who was always in really good shape, and could shoot from pretty much anywhere. But, I also get tunnel vision, and have never been much of a distributor, though I know my limits and wouldn't call myself a ball hog at all, just that I know my role, and that is to get open, and score, and run as fast as possible in transition.

Defensively, I was about average, I never invested the natural effort really, but I wasn't a liability. If I had to compare myself to an NBA player, it would probably be Rip Hamilton is my role.

The players I have playing WITH are dominant ball handlers who dribble forever, meaning, I am running around screens and making hard cuts for virtually no reason. When I play with them, I tend to have zero impact, because I stop moving and doing what makes me best.

The players I hate playing AGAINST are really big SG's that are able to use their size and pin me low. I never go for steals, so I end up eventually giving up a good look to a player like that.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

i don't know what my "role" is but i do what i do best. i guard the other team's best perimeter scorer on defense. on offense, i play in the post...boxing out, rebounding, put backs, cleaning up around the rim, and post up if i have a favorable matchup. i don't really know what my "role" is per say or what NBA player i am similar to.

Depends on who I'm playing with. If its just a pick up game at the gym I can kindof freestyle a bit. My game is probably most similar to Odom where I don't do one thing great but I'm pretty solid all the way around for a big guy and I have a nice crossover and step back.

If I'm in a adult league I pretty much play the high post because the guards I play with are quick and really good and I for damn sure ain't trying to chase the opposing young guards all over the court...

I'm your average 5'11" white dude in every sense of the word. Used to be a really good shooter, but I don't play that much anymore so I genuinely suck shooting nowadays. I'm a good rebounder for my size, and a good shot blocker. Can defend the bigger perimeter guys pretty well, but smaller quicker guards (especially lefties for some reason) usually get past me. Guys I play with, well... I guess they all know their roles pretty well, but our strengths don't particularly compliment each other.

And I hate playing with guys that never pass the ball (Ben Gordon type of guys). Like dude, I'm not gonna shoot it unless I'm open because that's not my forte anymore. Give it up and you'll get it right back.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast