Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to protect my dogs from coyotes?

I'm moving up north to New England (not going to mention where). We will probably be moving to an urban of suburban location. The only thing i'm concerned about is my dogs. I got an 80 pound male Golden Retriever, and a 62 pound female Yellow Lab. The problem is sometimes they get out and don't comeback when called. Also the fact that they love to play with other dogs is another problem. Do you guys have any advice for me on how to keep my dogs safe for the next 6-8 years.

PAPI SMASH!

A fence of some sort?

I lived in new England and had 3 dogs each 20 to 25 lbs. Our back yard butted up to a couple miles of woods and we never had an issue.

Fence.

db75 Guest
    Keep your ****ing dogs from running free.

If they're killed/lost, it's purely your fault.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeefan54 View Post
    Fence.
    That's going to be the most common answer I guess. Problem is the Golden jumps over our current one. Its going to have to be 6 foot fence. I guess also try a shock collar, but he usually resist the shock.

PAPI SMASH!

subroc Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by j-bay View Post
    I'm moving up north to New England (not going to mention where). We will probably be moving to an urban of suburban location. The only thing i'm concerned about is my dogs. I got an 80 pound male Golden Retriever, and a 62 pound female Yellow Lab. The problem is sometimes they get out and don't comeback when called. Also the fact that they love to play with other dogs is another problem. Do you guys have any advice for me on how to keep my dogs safe for the next 6-8 years.
    Train them to come back when called. Hell, train them to be obedient. Be the pack leader, the alpha dog not the submissive dog.

Train the dog. A coyote isn't likely to let your dog near it anyway, and most dogs aren't stupid enough to try their luck with one.

Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    Train them to come back when called. Hell, train them to be obedient. Be the pack leader, the alpha dog not the submissive dog.
    I did try that. Sadly they are stubborn.

PAPI SMASH!

The Lab will come back if you have a car. The Golden is the one that pretty much kills me. He will hop the fence, go past the electric fence and will pretty much run away from you the whole time. It takes me about 25-30 minutes to catch him.

PAPI SMASH!

subroc Guest
    I did try that. Sadly they are stubborn.
    Sadly, ceding stubbornness to a dog borders on the absurd. It is your lack of willingness not a dogs stubbornness. I wait patiently for your future post indicating your dog bit you, your spouse or your child or has you trapped in the bedroom while growling in the hallway.

As far as keeping the dog safe without a willingness to train the dog, keep it in the home, don't ever allow it/them to run free and always walk the dog/s with a lead. Kennel as needed.

Good Luck.

Get a large Huskie or dog of that nature and make sure it can get out with your dogs. Big Mean Dog > many coyotes. Coyotes are scuuurrrred.

Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    Sadly, ceding stubbornness to a dog borders on the absurd. It is your lack of willingness not a dogs stubbornness. I wait patiently for your future post indicating your dog bit you, your spouse or your child or has you trapped in the bedroom while growling in the hallway.

As far as keeping the dog safe without a willingness to train the dog, keep it in the home, don't ever allow it/them to run free and always walk the dog/s with a lead. Kennel as needed.

Good Luck.
    I have trained them well on the other parts. They're trained on a leash and no how to walk properly, they no what to do during dinner time, when they take something whether it is food or clothing, they have never even growled at me. And when I mean they don't come to me, its like when their inside they do come when called. But outside off the leash, they don't listen to me at all.

PAPI SMASH!

subroc Guest
    ...But outside off the leash, they don't listen to me at all.
    Sounds great.

Put landmines in your yard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast