Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Are people taking for granted the basketball we have now?

People are constantly so caught up in comparing current greats to the past. There is constant is so and so as good as Jordan etc. . . Basketball's best days were in the late 80's and early 90's. . . .

Has it gotten to the point where people don't recogonize the talent right now? Durant and LeBron are playing at as high a level as it gets.

Dirk, Garnett, Carter, Pierce, Duncan, Kobe, Nash*, Allen, Iverson, T-Mac are all ending or have ended careers that will be remembered forever.

Anthony Davis is going to be special.

Blake Griffin and Kevin Love are putting up eye popping numbers. The NBA as a whole is going off but in general I see so much negative feedback.

Are you satisfied with the current league and it's talent base?

This is a great point, and it's one I wish more fans would recognize. The NBA is in a transition period between the end of one of the greatest influxes of talent in league history and the next great era of NBA players, but all anybody wants to do is ***** about how different the game is or talk about how it's not as talented. Meanwhile, you have two players putting up ridiculous, historically relevant numbers (Durant, Lebron) while battling for the MVP, you've got some insanely talented players reaching their stride (Curry, Love, Griffin, Harden, George, Cousins), some obviously talented young players about to break out in a big way (Davis, Drummond) and great all-time veterans still playing at a high level (Dirk, Garnett, Wade).

Is this the most talented period in the history of the league? Probably not. But let's not pretend like the league is completely devoid of talent, either. And things will be even sweeter once this next draft class realizes its potential at the NBA level. If fans would just take five minutes to stop living in the past and start realizing the present, we'd have a lot more appreciation for the greatness of this current era of NBA athletes.

People will look back on this time with fonder memories than they would like to admit.

A lot of fans are so caught up in what has already happened that they can't enjoy the moment, I love this league and the way it is right now, it's not at it's best but there's still a lot of incredible talent and fun rivalries to see. People need to take off their rose tinted shades and take a look at what's going on around them.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    This is a great point, and it's one I wish more fans would recognize. The NBA is in a transition period between the end of one of the greatest influxes of talent in league history and the next great era of NBA players, but all anybody wants to do is ***** about how different the game is or talk about how it's not as talented. Meanwhile, you have two players putting up ridiculous, historically relevant numbers (Durant, Lebron) while battling for the MVP, you've got some insanely talented players reaching their stride (Curry, Love, Griffin, Harden, George, Cousins), some obviously talented young players about to break out in a big way (Davis, Drummond) and great all-time veterans still playing at a high level (Dirk, Garnett, Wade).

Is this the most talented period in the history of the league? Probably not. But let's not pretend like the league is completely devoid of talent, either. And things will be even sweeter once this next draft class realizes its potential at the NBA level. If fans would just take five minutes to stop living in the past and start realizing the present, we'd have a lot more appreciation for the greatness of this current era of NBA athletes.
    It's getting pretty damn close to being the most talented period in league history. Legacy aside, Durant and Bron are playing as good as any other twosome in league history. CP3 is getting ignored with the Bron-Durant MVP battle, but he's putting up all-time great PG numbers. Davis, Cousins, Love, and Blake are all putting up equal or better seasons than all-time great bigs did at their age.

Along with the other guys you mentioned, you have to take into account the extreme depth of some positions like PG and PF or the emergence of some the better defensive C"s we've seen in a long time (imo) with guys like Hibbert, Marc Gasol, Noah, and Tyson Chandler.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfish1314 View Post
    If they sold you with adultery between Delonte and Mrs. James, then here:

Kenyon #Gangstarep Martin reppin that kiss on his neck. He almost ate Mark Cuban. #Steamysteams blockin those shots, your balls are in a no fly zone. Michael Redd my knees are back! Jannero...Jesus I can't do this.

The PSD NBA Redraft GOAT speaking the truth

No, this is not quality basketball. The next generation is not basketball in my eyes. Few post players, everything turns into an isolation play, flopping is everywhere, superstar calls getting more and more ridiculous. There's hardly any real team-oriented basketball.

I think so. Any top 9 team in the western conference could be an elite team in any other era.

Every generation has tremendous talent. The quality and integrity of the actual games is cringe-worthy at times and the league has rightfully earned the reputation of a sissified sport where toughness is all but eliminated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Jones View Post
    No, this is not quality basketball. The next generation is not basketball in my eyes. Few post players, everything turns into an isolation play, flopping is everywhere, superstar calls getting more and more ridiculous. There's hardly any real team-oriented basketball.
    The Blazers, Rockets, Spurs, Warriors, Clippers, Pacers, Bulls, Raptors, Grizzlies, Suns, Mavericks, and even the Heat are all team-oriented. Having star players on a team doesn't mean all you get is isolation plays. Let's also not forget something that you have seemingly forgotten: you hate that there are few post players today and then validate it with people constantly using isolation plays.

Have you forgotten that post-players are just as capable of isolation plays as guys on the perimeter? It's all the same if it's a one-on-one situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Jones View Post
    where were you in the 90s, especially the second half of it?

Quote Originally Posted by FOBolous View Post
    I think so. Any top 9 team in the western conference could be an elite team in any other era.

i'm more than satisfied with the talent. the talent is great.

my problem is with the way the game is being played. not being able to put a hand on the offensive player and the lack of legitimate back to the basket post-players is changing the way the game is played. i don't like the change int he game, thats my preference.

i don't like turning on the Lakers and seeing scrubs and role players blow up for huge nights, or go on 3-4 game streaks where they look like all-stars. i don't like how we have a league where a team with the right system can cycle scrubs who can take over games (like we've seen Farmar, Marshall, Young, Meeks and Johnson do this season). dantoni era Lakers would have gotten absolutely CRUSHED twenty years ago, as they should be every night. they wouldn't be upsetting Portland and OKC. t think its too easy to score in todays league and I think its created a league where guards are unguardable. getting into the paint is way too easy for guards. this league has been taken over by PGs for this reason, you can't guard them now.

Quote Originally Posted by Heatcheck View Post
    where were you in the 90s, especially the second half of it?
    I didn't say I liked that either.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno87 View Post
    i'm more than satisfied with the talent. the talent is great.

my problem is with the way the game is being played. not being able to put a hand on the offensive player and the lack of legitimate back to the basket post-players is changing the way the game is played. i don't like the change int he game, thats my preference.

i don't like turning on the Lakers and seeing scrubs and role players blow up for huge nights, or go on 3-4 game streaks where they look like all-stars. i don't like how we have a league where a team with the right system can cycle scrubs who can take over games (like we've seen Farmar, Marshall, Young, Meeks and Johnson do this season). dantoni era Lakers would have gotten absolutely CRUSHED twenty years ago, as they should be every night. they wouldn't be upsetting Portland and OKC. t think its too easy to score in todays league and I think its created a league where guards are unguardable. getting into the paint is way too easy for guards. this league has been taken over by PGs for this reason, you can't guard them now.
    this

Quote Originally Posted by Shammyguy3 View Post
    The Blazers, Rockets, Spurs, Warriors, Clippers, Pacers, Bulls, Raptors, Grizzlies, Suns, Mavericks, and even the Heat are all team-oriented. Having star players on a team doesn't mean all you get is isolation plays. Let's also not forget something that you have seemingly forgotten: you hate that there are few post players today and then validate it with people constantly using isolation plays.

Have you forgotten that post-players are just as capable of isolation plays as guys on the perimeter? It's all the same if it's a one-on-one situation.
    I should have clarified that the perimeter players playing iso-ball are the ones I nitpick with. However, quality post players don't need more than a few seconds to put the ball on the floor and attempt a shot. Which really is not much of an isolation when considering how much time is needed for the majority of players who play perimeter iso-ball. I see countless times of holding the ball out around the 3, waiting, waiting, waiting, dribbling, forced shot. It takes too much time.

Also, the only teams out of the ones you listed that I enjoy watching are the Spurs, Blazers, (sometimes Warriors), Pacers, Grizz. Can't watch the Rockets or Heat, especially. That's what ties into the whole superstar calls. Harden runs into players and go to the line and Wade and Bron get ridiculous calls. It's not their fault (maybe it is), but the fact that this is just how basketball is played now is disgusting to me.

guards are now allowed to just dribble penetrate and take over games because they can't be touched. THIS is the main reason why our big men haven't developed post games. its better to have a stretch 4 or 5 at the perimeter or elbow than a big guy with moves who clogging up space for the guards. not being able to put a hand on the guards anymore is responsible for whats happened to our big men (along with nobody developing a post game in college, the NBA is too damn fast for young players to develop post moves in). little PG sized, wana be two guards are a lot more common and easier to find than legitimate big men, so it makes sense to create a system where they can by cycled in as stars than banking on the next big guy to be a dominant player.
    Last edited by Bruno; 03-10-2014 at 02:08 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast