Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Are the Rockets serious title contenders?

They have been on an absolute tear as of late and just dismantled what some people think, the best team in the nba. How far can you see them going?

It's possible. They are contenders, but I would still take the chances of 5 or 6 teams over them.

It depends on what you define as "serious".

Are they one of the 6 or 7 teams that have a legitimate shot at a championship this year? I'd say yes. OKC, SAS, Miami and the Pacers are in there for sure. Then you can toss in the Clippers, Rockets and possibly GSW depending on how you like their team composition and balance.

Once you get past those teams, it's pretty hard to say with a straight face that you can see another team in the CF's or Finals let alone winning. Toronto? Nets? Suns? Portland? Long shots in my opinion.

Clippers, Rockets and possibly GSW can beat any team any given night due to their offense. Rockets and GSW have legitimate top 10 defenses. And if you go mainly off regular season record, then you're talking Clippers and Rockets.

However, given that this is their FIRST year with Howard in the line up, I wouldn't be shocked at any number of outcomes... whether that's a WCF appearance or elimination in the 1st or 2nd round, especially since they'll most likely be facing off against the Clippers, Portland or GSW in the 1st round. It's going to be a real dogfight for the 3-6 seeds in the 1st round in the West.

As for Portland, I just don't have any faith in them as a team in the play offs due to their mediocre defense and lack of bench depth. No offense to Portland fans.. I just think that they're a couple key rotation players away from being a legitimate championship contender.
    J.R. Smith: "They were pretty much scoring at will. Especially my guy. I don't know what the hell I was doing on defense."

Raymond Felton : "The play was give the ball to Melo."

As of January 1st, you damn skippy.
    when they forget what Kevin Long saids

I follow rules and appreciate the ignore button

Quote Originally Posted by torocan View Post

Are they one of the 6 or 7 teams that have a legitimate shot at a championship this year? I'd say yes. OKC, SAS, Miami and the Pacers are in there for sure. Then you can toss in the Clippers, Rockets and possibly GSW depending on how you like their team composition and balance.

Once you get past those teams, it's pretty hard to say with a straight face that you can see another team in the CF's or Finals let alone winning. Toronto? Nets? Suns? Portland? Long shots in my opinion.

Clippers, Rockets and possibly GSW can beat any team any given night due to their offense. Rockets and GSW have legitimate top 10 defenses. And if you go mainly off regular season record, then you're talking Clippers and Rockets.

However, given that this is their FIRST year with Howard in the line up, I wouldn't be shocked at any number of outcomes... whether that's a WCF appearance or elimination in the 1st or 2nd round, especially since they'll most likely be facing off against the Clippers, Portland or GSW in the 1st round. It's going to be a real dogfight for the 3-6 seeds in the 1st round in the West.

As for Portland, I just don't have any faith in them as a team in the play offs due to their mediocre defense and lack of bench depth. No offense to Portland fans.. I just think that they're a couple key rotation players away from being a legitimate championship contender.
    This is a very fair assessment, and I pretty much agree with this whole post. The Rockets should certainly be considered legitimate contenders, but considering their youth and the depth of the West, a 1st or 2nd round exit isn't out of the question. They're a damn good basketball team, though, and when you consider how well managed the roster is and how long they have together, there's no doubt this team will have the chance to compete for titles over the next five years.

Quote Originally Posted by torocan View Post

Pretty much sums up how I view it.

In a one word answer, I say yes
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

I mean, they're probably one of the best 6 teams in the NBA. Right now out west I think I would take the Spurs, OKC, and the Clips over them. Out east, I also think Miami and Indy are still better teams as well. Indy is going through a rough patch, but they were destined to have one sooner or later.

In just about any other era, they are, but in the stacked West, its possible to be a Finals caliber team yet lose in R.1. The Rockets have been that team many times in the past.

Their next 4 games are against Portland, OKC, Chicago and Miami. The last 3 of those are away. If they can get 3 of those 4, then I might start believing that they are contenders.

Yes.

Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, and Colin Kaepernick walk into a bar... To watch Russell Wilson win the Super Bowl.

The short answer is yes.

yeah but harden gots to play d n howard gots to have a post up n hit ft's.

Quote Originally Posted by shep33 View Post
    I mean, they're probably one of the best 6 teams in the NBA. Right now out west I think I would take the Spurs, OKC, and the Clips over them. Out east, I also think Miami and Indy are still better teams as well. Indy is going through a rough patch, but they were destined to have one sooner or later.
    I like the rockets more than the clips. the rox are gaining speed at the right time of the season + they healthy.

Memphis gonna cause sum trouble in the west, either suns or dallas will be out, maybe dallas since Bledsoe coming back.

tor, wash, chi playing sum solid out east

Yes, but I highly doubt they will win.

4 key factors (ordered most to least important):
    1) Dwight: Hard to trust in the 4th. Inconsistent, clearly lost explosiveness since his Magic days.

2) Kevin Mcchale: AKA Mcfail. In the playoffs, every detail needs to be perfected. Given his lack of playoff experience as a HC and his past failures, he will need to get the team mentally and tactically prepared --- something I doubt.

3) PG play... their biggest weakness. The inconsistencies of both Beverley and Lin needs to be fixed.

4) Terrence Jones - Lack of experience may hurt.

Basically the only player I trust is Harden.

They are a good team and they will be even better in the coming years, but they aren't ready to win the championship currently. They have set its two cornerstone, a top 10 players in the league such as Harden and Howard. This is the first step, because I bet there would be good players in the NBA who join him "to lower price" in order to get a ring.

Along with these players, there are others in the roster, such as T.Jones and Parson who must remain in the team too. Unless Howard (28), them all are under 25, so they could play together around 8 years without no problem. They have plenty of chances to reach championship in the future, everyone knows it.

While they improve roster, system, experience and confidence, there will be other team which go further in playoffs. I think that Clippers are in the same position as Rockets, because its team aren't mature enough to fight for the title (they have older players but they haven't consolidate the system yet: new coach).

I am speaking about Oklahoma and San Antonio. They are my favorite contender team in the West, but there are two teams which I would place over Houston at this point: Warriors and Grizzlies (I fell sorry for Blazers' fan, but they need experience in the playoffs to succeed).

The next year we'll see a deeper team, just like Clippers this year, after some players join the team through C.Paul and Griffin tandem. This will be the second step to the glory. They must obtain quality, veteran players and good defenders too in order to beat Miami in the Championship finals. They lack both things this year and I don't expect they get over 2nd playoff round at best.
    Last edited by monty77; 03-09-2014 at 06:57 AM.
    I'm NBA fan who write from Spain so... I'm sorry for my spelling mistakes

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast