Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: New closer?

New closer?

What do you think about Bud Norris being the new closer?
    "Just because the path is well beaten. That doesn't mean it's the right way to go"

I've definitely though about it. Problem with him is, just like Hunter (but to a worse extent), he is not good at getting lefties out at all.

Honestly, I want to see what Yoon can do. If his shoulder is 100$, I would love to have him be the backup if Hunter falters. Obviiously, he has to adjust to MLB hitters, but I also want us to sign Andrew Bailey or Hanrahan as insurance. They will be back mid season.

Opportunity to jump into Free Agency for a veteran who'd prefer to close and could have value come the trade deadline makes a ton of sense here. Kelvin Herrera comes to mind. 1 Yr $8.5M w/ a trade assignment bonus? Or Indians Cody Allen, Trevor Rosenthal. Player looking to rebuild value you can guarantee innings / patience to in high leverage role. Maybe include a Trade Assignment Bonus plus some incentives. Ideally in exchange for a 2020 Club Option which would only bolster value of potential bounce back reliever.

Couple guys coming off injury that'd also make sense AJ Ramos & David Phelps. 2019 isn't about contending, so signing players who share mutual objectives (Innings, Rebuilding Value, patience) are ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Conquest8089 View Post
    Opportunity to jump into Free Agency for a veteran who'd prefer to close and could have value come the trade deadline makes a ton of sense here. Kelvin Herrera comes to mind. 1 Yr $8.5M w/ a trade assignment bonus? Or Indians Cody Allen, Trevor Rosenthal. Player looking to rebuild value you can guarantee innings / patience to in high leverage role. Maybe include a Trade Assignment Bonus plus some incentives. Ideally in exchange for a 2020 Club Option which would only bolster value of potential bounce back reliever.

Couple guys coming off injury that'd also make sense AJ Ramos & David Phelps. 2019 isn't about contending, so signing players who share mutual objectives (Innings, Rebuilding Value, patience) are ideal.
    Absolutely not about contending. I think we trade Mychal Givens this off-season, given how well he performed in the closer role. We should be targeting a reliever or two looking for a rebound, and you named plenty of them.

I would also be looking to improve defense at least at short. I would look at non-tending Beckham, and bringing in either Hechavaria or Iglesias. We also need one, potentially two outfielders.

I would stay far away from bringing up any hitters next year except maybe Cedric Mullens. We have enough pitchers in the high minors that will battle for those spots, and we need to prioritize defense behind them.