Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Post Mavs Marion thinks there should be no salary cap, higher age limit

I agree with him about the salary cap.

Marion also opined that while NBA teams should continued to be required spend a minimum amount annually on player salaries, the league should do away with its salary cap.

“I could see no cap and everybody doing what you want to do,” he said. “Baseball does it. If you want to go out and spend $200 million on your team (payroll), go ahead and do it.

“It can’t guarantee that you’re going to win, but why not? If you’ve got the money to do it, why not?

“There shouldn’t be a cutoff on what people want to spend for their teams
    , but there should be a minimum that have to spend, so you definitely put a good product on the floor.”
    “I think the age requirement for coming into the league should be higher,” he said.

Since the 2006 draft, the minimum requirements have been that players must have turned 19 during the calendar year of the draft and have been out of high school for one year.

Silver’s predecessor, David Stern, has long been a proponent of adding a year to those requirements.

“It should be at least two years (out of high school),” Marion said. “Two to three years, minimum.”

No salary cap would be dangerous and boring. The Richest teams in the league would just sign the best players in the league

I guess he is a fan of college basketball.

the cap is crap. don't like it. the age limit thing i would love. both products have suffered in my opinion by the one and dones.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

I don't think they should do away with the cap, but maybe one year every 5 years or so have a cap free year or something like that.

The no Cap thing would make the league incredibly boring. It would literally be the same couple of teams winning every year.

duh

If you enhanced the rights of the teams that drafted the NBA, somewhat similar to how teams control MLB players for 6 years, and extended them then I think it would be fine. Stars that really want to play together already do, but I don't think that's the norm. Most stars identify with their franchise and actually want to compete, but there would probably be a lot of ring chasers in the back end of their careers really benefiting from this.

If you're a player, though, you're obviously going to feel this way because it's in your own best interest.

lol at the no salary cap rule. Even as a Lakers fan it would be so stupid to put in place.

Lakers would be able to sign Lebron, Melo, Bledsoe, and Monroe this off-season if that were the case.

"He ain't even stretch doe!" - D'Angelo Russell

Quote Originally Posted by JNA17 View Post
    lol at the no salary cap rule. Even as a Lakers fan it would be so stupid to put in place.

Lakers would be able to sign Lebron, Melo, Bledsoe, and Monroe this off-season if that were the case.
    If you look at the MLB there are still luxury tax penalties.

It also would increase the length of contracts so you would see someone like lebron or KD get 10 year contracts. Sign a few of those and the franchise is handcuffed for a decade. That would leave a lot of good players to be signed bu other teams.

Bottomline is that the NBA rules are set up for the sole purpose of making the most money for small market teams and minimizing player salaries and terms.

I think the next CBA fight could get really ugly. Probably will miss an entire year of NBA

No cap would be awful, i hate that there's no cap in baseball. It would be best if there was a hard-cap with a minimum amount you can spend (something like 45min and 90max)

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan = Donkey View Post
    No salary cap would be dangerous and boring. The Richest teams in the league would just sign the best players in the league
    Look at the league's dichotomy now, seems like your either tanking or competing for a championship.

As it is now, smaller teams such as OKC have to trade a James Harden because they can't afford to pay him due to luxury tax. Average players have to take vet minimum deals because teams can't afford to overpay.

With the Luxury Tax Rules in place as they are now, then that might be a decent idea.

Then they get rid of the Max contract, then see players get like 30mil +

Pretty much every year would be the

Lakers

Irving
    Kobe
    Lebron
    Love
    Perkins (Not cause of value, but the Lakers would need one player to complain about performance)

Knicks:

Paul
    Wade
    Carmelo
    Lemarcus Aldridge
    Drummond
    Quote Originally Posted by P&GRealist View Post
    Sometimes, perception isn't reality.

But Tittays are forever.

I FOUND THE LEGENDARY THREAD

https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...es-to-Redskins

Quote Originally Posted by Cal827 View Post
    With the Luxury Tax Rules in place as they are now, then that might be a decent idea.

Then they get rid of the Max contract, then see players get like 30mil +

Pretty much every year would be the

Lakers

Irving
    Kobe
    Lebron
    Love
    Perkins (Not cause of value, but the Lakers would need one player to complain about performance)

Knicks:

Paul
    Wade
    Carmelo
    Lemarcus Aldridge
    Drummond

I'll give you that one.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast