Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 49
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cowgary
    Posts
    2,534
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    Lakers and LA will always be a draw, they never stay bad for long and they'll have a lottery pick this year too. and D'antoni is a HUGE draw for any PG. Not to mention the following year they could make a run at Love once Nash and a couple of other contracts come off.

    D'antoni made Felton an 18ppg, 9apg 4rpg player...
    Well I don't see the Knicks improving much, considering they might lose Melo and have like 2 draft picks over the next decade.

    ...but overall I do get your point. However what's the point in signing a 3-year contract if one and possibly two years of that contract will be a write-off? Like I said, what if Kobe goes down again and is owed a third of the cap? That's a huge risk for a player to take at this point, especially when we're looking at a team with will also owe Nash (who seems hell-bent on finishing that last contract) next year and could lose Pau in the mean time. Other than the possibility that "we're the Lakers and we'll figure it out" there's not many basketball reasons to play there. In general it seems that the post-Dr. Buss era has started off poorly and I wouldn't trust the new ownership with my shoelaces.


    "Juuuuuuuuuuuuust a bit outside. Wild Thing tried for the corner and missed."

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    The Pharcyde of the Moon
    Posts
    10,936
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Mund View Post
    Well I don't see the Knicks improving much, considering they might lose Melo and have like 2 draft picks over the next decade.

    ...but overall I do get your point. However what's the point in signing a 3-year contract if one and possibly two years of that contract will be a write-off? Like I said, what if Kobe goes down again and is owed a third of the cap? That's a huge risk for a player to take at this point, especially when we're looking at a team with will also owe Nash (who seems hell-bent on finishing that last contract) next year and could lose Pau in the mean time. Other than the possibility that "we're the Lakers and we'll figure it out" there's not many basketball reasons to play there. In general it seems that the post-Dr. Buss era has started off poorly and I wouldn't trust the new ownership with my shoelaces.
    Add in that there's no Phil Jackson either. Kobe hasn't won a ring without him.
    Raptors Franchise Checklist:
    Rebuild with young players [x]
    Build contending team [x ]
    Host NBA All-Star Weekend [x]
    Win Championship [x ]

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    34,451
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Mund View Post
    Well I don't see the Knicks improving much, considering they might lose Melo and have like 2 draft picks over the next decade.

    ...but overall I do get your point. However what's the point in signing a 3-year contract if one and possibly two years of that contract will be a write-off? Like I said, what if Kobe goes down again and is owed a third of the cap? That's a huge risk for a player to take at this point, especially when we're looking at a team with will also owe Nash (who seems hell-bent on finishing that last contract) next year and could lose Pau in the mean time. Other than the possibility that "we're the Lakers and we'll figure it out" there's not many basketball reasons to play there. In general it seems that the post-Dr. Buss era has started off poorly and I wouldn't trust the new ownership with my shoelaces.
    at the end of the day i don't see Melo leaving. Knicks are his hometown and can pay him more and he can handpick his coach next year. Jeff Van Gundy? Not only that KNicks will have tons of cap in 2015. as far as picks, I'm pretty sure they have their 15,17,18,19, and 2020 1st rounders. not sure where you got that info from. And THJR looks like the real deal for only $1m which will help NY alot. the only 1sts they owe is this year to DEN and 2016 to TOR. (lesser of dEn/NY pick)

    As for Lowry, I'd imagine he's looking for a 4 or 5 year deal... I don't think he'd take a 3 year deal in LA over a 5 year deal in TOR considering this is likely his biggest payday. on the same token i'd cringe at giving him a 5 year deal if I'm TOR.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    10,177
    Quote Originally Posted by gwrighter View Post
    Add in that there's no Phil Jackson either. Kobe hasn't won a ring without him.
    I'm still wondering what Phil is going to do. I thought it was a lock that he would take over control of he Lakers but man, would he put himself through that even if they could bounce Jimmy? Shaw is off the market and Kobe is no longer the draw he once was.

    I also still have this hunch that CoachCal is on the raptors radar.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    10,177
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    at the end of the day i don't see Melo leaving. Knicks are his hometown and can pay him more and he can handpick his coach next year. Jeff Van Gundy? Not only that KNicks will have tons of cap in 2015. as far as picks, I'm pretty sure they have their 15,17,18,19, and 2020 1st rounders. not sure where you got that info from. And THJR looks like the real deal for only $1m which will help NY alot. the only 1sts they owe is this year to DEN and 2016 to TOR. (lesser of dEn/NY pick)

    As for Lowry, I'd imagine he's looking for a 4 or 5 year deal... I don't think he'd take a 3 year deal in LA over a 5 year deal in TOR considering this is likely his biggest payday. on the same token i'd cringe at giving him a 5 year deal if I'm TOR.
    5 year? Come on

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    El Nath
    Posts
    4,961
    5 year is not unreasonable. Most players at lowrys age who are coming off a "prime" season, tend to seek 5 year contracts, they want to get paid and relax a bit after the initial couple years of thecontact. So There may very well be a team that can give 5 years. I hope not though, 4 years 50 mil would be okay with me in DESPERATION AT MAX, to keep lowry.


    [/Center]

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    26,180
    5 years, 107 million. book it.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

    but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    34,451
    Quote Originally Posted by FriedTofuz View Post
    5 year is not unreasonable. Most players at lowrys age who are coming off a "prime" season, tend to seek 5 year contracts, they want to get paid and relax a bit after the initial couple years of thecontact. So There may very well be a team that can give 5 years. I hope not though, 4 years 50 mil would be okay with me in DESPERATION AT MAX, to keep lowry.
    only TOR can offer 5 years b/c they have bird rights. other teams like LA could only give him 4 years. that could be a tipping point in TOR's favor.

    I could see LA offering something like 4/50m, then in 2015 they could still offer a max to Love as well.

    TOR could do something like 5/70m, but I don't think Lowry is worth that.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    The Pharcyde of the Moon
    Posts
    10,936
    Quote Originally Posted by deaner View Post
    I'm still wondering what Phil is going to do. I thought it was a lock that he would take over control of he Lakers but man, would he put himself through that even if they could bounce Jimmy? Shaw is off the market and Kobe is no longer the draw he once was.

    I also still have this hunch that CoachCal is on the raptors radar.
    Phil is old & I think he just wants to relax. It doesn't look like the Lakers are going to be able to put something together that he'll like so he'll just hang back.

    I don't think the Raptors are after Calipari unless they are trying to tank. IMO they might be content with giving Casey another 3 year deal depending on how the playoffs go.
    Raptors Franchise Checklist:
    Rebuild with young players [x]
    Build contending team [x ]
    Host NBA All-Star Weekend [x]
    Win Championship [x ]

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    The Pharcyde of the Moon
    Posts
    10,936
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    only TOR can offer 5 years b/c they have bird rights. other teams like LA could only give him 4 years. that could be a tipping point in TOR's favor.

    I could see LA offering something like 4/50m, then in 2015 they could still offer a max to Love as well.

    TOR could do something like 5/70m, but I don't think Lowry is worth that.
    I don't think Lowry is worth more than 10mil per year to anybody around the league, too many red flags. I don't see him getting more money than Ty Lawson did which is like 11mil per year.
    Raptors Franchise Checklist:
    Rebuild with young players [x]
    Build contending team [x ]
    Host NBA All-Star Weekend [x]
    Win Championship [x ]

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    34,451
    Quote Originally Posted by gwrighter View Post
    I don't think Lowry is worth more than 10mil per year to anybody around the league, too many red flags. I don't see him getting more money than Ty Lawson did which is like 11mil per year.
    i agree... but if the lakers don't get Melo I could see them going $12m or so on him, only because they need to win NOW, and it wouldn't affect them being able to offer Love the max the next summer.

    realistically, I think Lowry's value should be something like 3/24m... but considering the hype he's getting I think that number is out the window.

    I mean early in the year I actually thought there could be an outside chance that even NY would be able to persuade him to come over for 3/10m if they guaranteed him the starting gig... but so much has changed since.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,938
    Quote Originally Posted by FriedTofuz View Post
    5 year is not unreasonable.
    It is unreasonable. To give him 5 years, we'd have to make him a "designated player", and wouldn't be able to offer anybody else a 5 year deal while he's around.... That's reserved for guys like Rose, Durant, etc.

    In our case, we need to save that for one of DeRozan, Val, or Ross, if any of them become or are about to become superstars.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    34,451
    Quote Originally Posted by pulzar View Post
    It is unreasonable. To give him 5 years, we'd have to make him a "designated player", and wouldn't be able to offer anybody else a 5 year deal while he's around.... That's reserved for guys like Rose, Durant, etc.

    In our case, we need to save that for one of DeRozan, Val, or Ross, if any of them become or are about to become superstars.
    i could be wrong but I think that only applies to rookie players on rookie deals. I don't think that would apply to Lowry, so I think TOR could give him 5 years and still give Ross or Val a 5 year deal later.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    12,124
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    i could be wrong but I think that only applies to rookie players on rookie deals. I don't think that would apply to Lowry, so I think TOR could give him 5 years and still give Ross or Val a 5 year deal later.
    That is my understanding as well. I'm expecting 5 years and something like 60-65 million in this market. I expect the Raptors will be willing to do that

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    7,979
    Quote Originally Posted by pulzar View Post
    It is unreasonable. To give him 5 years, we'd have to make him a "designated player", and wouldn't be able to offer anybody else a 5 year deal while he's around.... That's reserved for guys like Rose, Durant, etc.

    In our case, we need to save that for one of DeRozan, Val, or Ross, if any of them become or are about to become superstars.
    Designated player doesn't apply in this situation at all. The designated player rule allows a team to sign a player on a rookie contract to a 5 year extension, in other words for 6 years under contract including the last year on their rookie deal. If a team has bird rights to a player they can sign them to a 5 year contract, it has nothing to do with the designated player rule.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •