Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    24,140

    Every NBA Team's Remaining Strength Of Schedule




    updated 1/15/14

    here is the updated espn SOS rankings

    http://espn.go.com/nba/stats/rpi/_/sort/SOS

    thoughts? who's gonna fall? rise?
    Quote Originally Posted by NYSpirit1 View Post
    The Knicks were never this bad of a team. They always have been a 48-50 win team stuck in what was a 21-40 team's body.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    9,772
    Important to be aware of the limitations of this measure of SOS in determining how hard a team's schedule has actually been. AFAIK (because ESPN don't provide their formula), it just uses overall records rather than the applicable home/away records, and it doesn't take into account back-to-backs and travel schedules and the lengths of road trips and everything else.

    The impact isn't negligible, either. An example is LAC and Houston - LAC have played 5 more road games than home games, while Houston have played 4 more home games than road games. That's absolutely more important than Houston having a .516 SOS compared to LAC's .506. Houston, on the other hand, have played two more pairs of back-to-backs than LAC, which also has an impact.
    Point is there's a lost more to consider than just opponent win percentages, and much of it shows much greater discrepancies between teams than SOS does at this point in the season.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    965
    Toronto has been respectable so far with one of the best schedules. Let the good times roll the rest of the way with the easiest schedule!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Allentown, PA
    Posts
    9,786
    Quote Originally Posted by bholly View Post
    Important to be aware of the limitations of this measure of SOS in determining how hard a team's schedule has actually been. AFAIK (because ESPN don't provide their formula), it just uses overall records rather than the applicable home/away records, and it doesn't take into account back-to-backs and travel schedules and the lengths of road trips and everything else.

    The impact isn't negligible, either. An example is LAC and Houston - LAC have played 5 more road games than home games, while Houston have played 4 more home games than road games. That's absolutely more important than Houston having a .516 SOS compared to LAC's .506. Houston, on the other hand, have played two more pairs of back-to-backs than LAC, which also has an impact.
    Point is there's a lost more to consider than just opponent win percentages, and much of it shows much greater discrepancies between teams than SOS does at this point in the season.
    Yeah, SOS has serious limitations. It also has no way of dealing with win/loss streaks or injuries as far as I know. Using raw W-L can't tell you that a team got lucky and played against another team while they were down a player or two, nor can it tell you that they played a team early in the season before that team got better (like Toronto) or before they hit a slump.

    People also like to use it as if it can show some type of conspiracy or something. I see that a lot in football especially. What people don't realize is that there 1) really isn't much flex in scheduling (other than dates, which have other circumstances to account for), it's a set of rules that determine who you play and how many times you play them, and 2) good teams have easier schedules because they don't have to face themselves and bad teams have harder schedules because they don't get to face themselves - their own W/L records don't get counted into the SOS.

    still has value as a rough indicator of the quality of teams already faced versus the teams to be faced though
    Last edited by JLynn943; 02-01-2014 at 04:56 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    11,390
    Raptors have been able to play well, despite having the hardest schedule of any team in the Eastern Conference

    Now watch us **** up with the easiest remaining schedule lol

    If the Nets can't get on a run now, then they are just bad.

    Also, Indiana is overrated (just needed to piss off some fans with a post)
    Quote Originally Posted by P&GRealist View Post
    Sometimes, perception isn't reality.

    But Tittays are forever.


    I FOUND THE LEGENDARY THREAD

    https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...es-to-Redskins

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    24,140
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal827 View Post
    Raptors have been able to play well, despite having the hardest schedule of any team in the Eastern Conference

    Now watch us **** up with the easiest remaining schedule lol

    If the Nets can't get on a run now, then they are just bad.

    Also, Indiana is overrated (just needed to piss off some fans with a post)

    thanks for losing to us
    Quote Originally Posted by NYSpirit1 View Post
    The Knicks were never this bad of a team. They always have been a 48-50 win team stuck in what was a 21-40 team's body.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    El Nath
    Posts
    4,961
    Raptors have the easiest schedule? I have them as a 50-win Team, 3rd in the east. They could definitely put up a fight with miami for at least 6 games in the 2nd round.


    [/Center]

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    8,428
    Warriors have been dropping games to borderline D-league rosters. We need to play more high caliber talent, brings out the best in that squad.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    31,222
    Wow.... Houston had the 10th hardest schedule to start the year and have the 7th hardest schedule the rest of the way. Gotta love the ****ing Western Conference.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    45,844
    Gotta love that Western Conference, nobody gets a break

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    31,222
    The one really interesting team to follow on this chart will be Portland. After that hot start that surprised most of us (myself included), they've started to slip a bit lately. But considering they had the easiest schedule in the conference thus far and the second hardest the rest of the way, I wonder if they'll still be a top 3-5 seed by the end of the season. They're still most likely a solid playoff team, but I won't be surprised at all if they slip into that 6-7 seed range.


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,184
    Explains why Utah is so bad?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    9,772
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahH View Post
    Explains why Utah is so bad?
    Pretty much exactly why they were so bad. Started 1-14 with a 6/9 home/road split, and 12 of them against teams who're above 0.500. That was about as brutal of a schedule as you'll ever see.

    Since then they're 14-15, so they aren't even really bad.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    965
    Pumped for my Raps' second half sched and impressed they've done so well so far given their difficulty

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    4,543
    Time for Spurs to step up and win the big games.
    Top 10 Rappers Right Now
    1. Nas 2. Kendrick Lamar 3. Jay-Z 4. J Cole 5. Lupe Fiasco 6. Pusha-T 7. Royce Da 5'9 8. Logic 9. Drake 10. Wale

    Top 10 Rappers of all-time
    1. 2Pac 2. Nas 3. Rakim 4. Notorious B.I.G. 5. Jay-Z 6. Eminem 7. KRS-One 8. Public Enemy (Chuck D) 9. Common 10. Ice Cube

    Follow me, @bharjan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •