Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is Chris Paul Not That Popular With The Casual Fans?

So the all star starters were announced and Chris Paul for the last 6 years has been a starter 4 times, and reserve twice. Now this year, Bryant (not that much of a surprise) AND now Curry has been voted over him. While Bryant won't play and will probably be replaced by James Harden as the new starter, CP3 will be a reserve for the 3rd time in his seventh all star game.

Obviously he has been crowned as one of if not the best point guard in the league but the casual fans have not really treated him as such have they?

I mean the guaranteed names to be in every year until they either play like a shell of their former selfs or retire are: Kobe, Lebron, Durant, Wade, and NOW probably Love or Griffen (Griffen more so due to him being more popular). It doesn't matter of the names I mentioned get injured or don't play as good as their prime, with their name and as long as they TOTALLY play like a shell of their former selves, they get voted in every year. Dwight use to be that guy but it seems that his name stock has plummeted a bit. Mostly out of anger between alot of a NBA fans (mostly Lakers and Orlando fans).

I realize it's not really that big of a deal at all but for someone who has been crowned by many as the best point guard in the NBA, he doesn't seem to have the popularity as one. Steph Curry and even Kyrie Irving have had more votes then him this year. I just find it strange.

"He ain't even stretch doe!" - D'Angelo Russell

Starting backcourt should be him at point and Steph at shooting guard.

Quote Originally Posted by Inside Hoops member, 2009
    If your team picks him in the top 10, the GM should be fired. Every year there are comparable talents to Steph who go undrafted. He is not worth a first round pick, let alone a lottery pick.

Had he not got hurt we would've been a starter. He was leading the votes then Steph overtook him when he went down...

casual fans like scoring over anything else

Quote Originally Posted by conway429 View Post
    casual fans like scoring over anything else
    And he doesn't have the flashy explosiveness of say a Derrick Rose, Dwyane Wade, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Starks View Post
    Had he not got hurt we would've been a starter. He was leading the votes then Steph overtook him when he went down...
    But Kobe has been injured all year, guys like Tmac and Iverson before him were, again, injured all the time or totally out of their prime and got in practically every year. It took T-Mac to be in a filler in a Rockets-Knicks trade for him not to be voted in anymore.

Yet for Paul, if he gets injured, whether the injury is big or small, the fans go right for a different guy. Curry was that guy and even Irving in the East had more votes then Paul this year.

Paul is not easily being voted in like Kobe, Lebron KD, Wade, etc are, despite being viewed by many as the best point guard in the league. THAT'S what I find weird.

I think the reason that Stephen Curry is more popular with casual fans is because he makes a lot of three point shots. When they see him shoot the three point shots, they like to see if he makes it. The casual fans like it when he makes it. Although Chris Paul hands out a lot of assists, casual fans like three point shots better than assists. That's why Stephen Curry is more popular to casual fans.

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    I think the reason that Stephen Curry is more popular with casual fans is because he makes a lot of three point shots. When they see him shoot the three point shots, they like to see if he makes it. The casual fans like it when he makes it. Although Chris Paul hands out a lot of assists, casual fans like three point shots better than assists. That's why Stephen Curry is more popular to casual fans.
    My love you have returned!

Quote Originally Posted by JNA17 View Post
    But Kobe has been injured all year, guys like Tmac and Iverson before him were, again, injured all the time or totally out of their prime and got in practically every year. It took T-Mac to be in a filler in a Rockets-Knicks trade for him not to be voted in anymore.

Yet for Paul, if he gets injured, whether the injury is big or small, the fans go right for a different guy. Curry was that guy and even Irving in the East had more votes then Paul this year.

Paul is not easily being voted in like Kobe, Lebron KD, Wade, etc are, despite being viewed by many as the best point guard in the league. THAT'S what I find weird.
    I see what you're saying but remember Kobe is typically the second highest vote getter behind Lebron. He's on another level vote wise than a Chris Paul because of his popularity not just here but internationally.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Starks View Post
    I see what you're saying but remember Kobe is typically the second highest vote getter behind Lebron. He's on another level vote wise than a Chris Paul because of his popularity not just here but internationally.
    I understand that but I'm curious as too why that is the case.

Is CP3 not as dominate in his position compared to the other point guards as Lebron is compared to the other small forwards? Is it that you just don't hear his name that much unless you are a big basketball fan or see those constant "Chris and Cliff Paul" commercials?

I mean, if we are using the "well passing is not as fun as scoring" argument, why has Steve Nash or an out of prime Allen Iverson voted over Paul before, or why was Magic Johnson voted in every year as a starter despite not being known for his scoring?

I am surprised just as you are the CP3 didn't get voted in. He is the best PG in the league imo. But again he is injured and you can argue Kobe was too. But Kobe is on another level compared to CP3. My guess is may be fans see Kobe as irreplaceable and CP3 as easily replaceable....

Quote Originally Posted by ThaDubs View Post
    Starting backcourt should be him at point and Steph at shooting guard.
    yup

PG is probly the least sexy position in the NBA. even behind HC.

You ask people about his game and they'll probably say, "Oh he's the guy that passes the ball to Blake Griffin?"

Or may be fans didn't wonna break Kobe's long all star streak

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast